Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
drtrcrV-8

Smile Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

Do all Ford FE motors have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing end, or did they change about mid 1965? I'm looking for a FE automatic transmission(C-4/C-6/FMX) that came with an Over Drive(possibly mid 1980s or later?). Over on the HAMB I've learned that(with minor modifications) certain FE bellhousings can be mated to an ECU('52-'57 Lincoln) block. Did any FE automatic transmission come from the factory with an OD?? HELP!!! Thank you for any info!
drtrcrV-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #2
reman

Default Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

All FE Fords do have the same bolt pattern. No C4 or Aod (factory) will bolt to it. A FMX (no overdrive) is doable if you could find the bell for a FE. No overdrive ever came on an FE automatic. There are adaptors made, but they are expensive. Some guys on the old FE forum even made some adaptors but I do not have that info. I know it required machine work. There is also the stand alone overdrive unit (I can't remember the name), but expensive as well. Some FE's did come with C6's, but again, no overdrive.
reman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrcrV-8 View Post

Do all Ford FE motors have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing end, or did they change about mid 1965?

I'm looking for a FE automatic transmission(C-4/C-6/FMX) that came with an Over Drive (possibly mid 1980s or later?).

Over on the HAMB I've learned that(with minor modifications) certain FE bellhousings can be mated to an ECU('52-'57 Lincoln) block.

Did any FE automatic transmission come from the factory with an OD?? HELP!!! Thank you for any info!
No FE AOD was produced. The AOD had a one piece bell-main case.

The described FE bell mod is to fit a later style manual trans to a LYB (bell-housing modification).

What car do you have and what are you wanting to do?
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
darrell

an fmx would be an easy swap.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #5
reman

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssible.678345/

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Engine-A.../dp/B07J1XF4CH

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mode...ord-fe-engine/
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
rotorwrench

They are expensive but Gear Vendors makes overdrive extensions for the C6. On a strong FE motor, I think I'd go that route if I just had to have OD. The FE engines can be made to pull some pretty tall rear axle gears to where a person doesn't really need an OD.

Adapters are made for a lot of stuff but I don't think I'd mess with the old Lincoln Y-blocks. They are big blocks and some types were strictly truck engines in that category. The 460 with a C6 may be an option if you don't mind the 385 blocks. The 462 engines were the larger version of the 430 MEL and they would be even harder to get aftermarket stuff for.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
darrell

an fmx will bolt up to a 55 57 lincoln bell the same as a ford o matic by drilling out the 2 top holes and changing the pump.looking at a 56 lincoln once the trans is just a merc o matic.i coulding see any difference.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
drtrcrV-8

Another direction : How much different is the 429"/469"(385 series) block bolt pattern from the FE block bolt pattern? Considering another possible source for an OD transmission to adapt to the ECU block(the "Y- Block" Lincoln) but trying to stay within the "Ford" family. I'm looking for better gas mileage as this is for a "driver" Continental MK II that I'd like to keep as an automatic, & the original only got 16mpg on a good day. The original is described as a 2-speed with a torque converter, & I think a newer trans with an OD gear would be a big help.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
reman

What is your car? It sounded in your first post, that you had something with an FE. Now are you saying your car is a (big) Y block Lincoln? It would likely be easier to help if we knew what exactly you are trying to achieve better mileage on. And no, the FE pattern is completely different from the 385 series.

Ok, on a 2nd reading I see that you are saying that is a MK II.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
drtrcrV-8

REMAN : '56 Continental MK II /368 ECU("Y"-block Lincoln)_ Over on the HAMB Rich Fox has modified FE bellhousings for use on ECU blocks by "match-grinding" the bolt holes & using Allen-head cap screws to deal with the reduced clearance(might be easier to use a pressed steel "Lakewood- style" for an FE block?). My question was due to wanting to find an automatic trans with OD, but now I've found out "No Such Animal", so I'm looking for alternatives. PLEASE, BEFORE YOU START "RIPPING" AN HONEST QUESTION, WOULD YOU AT LEAST READ THE ENTIRE POST!!!!??
Old 05-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
rotorwrench

It sounds like the old Y-block gas mileage is better than a 390 FE. The FE engine got consistent mileage but 18 MPG would have to be feathering the throttle very carefully to maintain. If an FE type trans can be adapted then that would likely be the best way to go. The AOD may be adaptable but it would have to be done with an adapter plate and likely a crank extension too. There have been a lot of adaptations for them. There is a Y-block adapter but it's for the small Ford Y-blocks. This link illustrates how it was done.
http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm

They use the Hitachi type starter on most of those type adapters.

Just to add: Wilcap has an adapter for the 700R4 to fit a 368 block. At least it would be a 4-speed. A person could run taller rear gears if you can get them for a Dana 53. It's marked as out of stock though.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-01-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
darrell

your up the creek as far as overdrive goes
Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrcrV-8 View Post

REMAN :

'56 Continental MK II /368 ECU ("Y"-block Lincoln).

Over on the HAMB Rich Fox has modified FE bellhousings for use on ECU blocks by "match-grinding" the bolt holes & using Allen-head cap screws to deal with the reduced clearance (might be easier to use a pressed steel "Lakewood- style" for an FE block?).

My question was due to wanting to find an automatic trans with OD, but now I've found out "No Such Animal", so I'm looking for alternatives.

PLEASE, BEFORE YOU START "RIPPING" AN HONEST QUESTION, WOULD YOU AT LEAST READ THE ENTIRE POST!!!!??

Let me try this one more time.

The TRANS you want is the AOD. It is non-electronic.

It does not have a separate bell but is a one-piece bell-main case (SBF or 4.6L MTG pattern).

Two ways to mount to a LYB-

BENDSTEN makes an FE-AOD adapter kit. You would have to have the kit modified to fit the LYB (as you have been reading regarding an FE manual bell), or

Jay @ BROADER PERFORMANCE has supposedly modified an AOD main case by cutting off the bell and machining the main case to fit the period MERC-O-MATIC or TURBO LYB trans bell.

In addition. There was a design progression of the AOD. You need to research to find the strongest model or have one modified.

Now, IMO only, you want to make the modification so as to be able to revert to the OEM trans for re-sale value.

https://www.diyford.com/ford-aod-tra...wapping-guide/
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #14
miker98038

The information I found shows the Mark’s with a 3 speed auto, listed as a Ford/Borg Warner.

I don’t know anything about those hand built cars, but unless it’s a basket case, I don’t think you can make a major modification without a big drop in resale value.

Given the nature of the beast, I don’t think you’ll improve the gas mileage enough to ever drive the miles to get the investment back. Those are such cool rides, I’d just enjoy it. Maybe Chevron will send you a Christmas card for being on their high user list.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
rotorwrench

It would have likely had the large case Cruise-O-Matic on the Lincoln 368. With FE engines there are two types of engine mount pad castings on the block There are early and late if a person thinks about using an FE. Late can fit early with mods but early won't work with late types. I think the change was in 1962.

AODs can be beefed up to take more torque. Most that are available from the performance suppliers have been beefed up but a person has to check and make sure. They all have the Windsor small block pattern.

The bell could certainly be cut off from an AOD. It might be easier to use the plate and crank spacer idea though as far as difficulty factor of machining. I couldn't find anything of that nature so far. Some obscure site might have it though.

Some folks say the FE bell is close to the Lincoln Y bell in fit with exception to a couple of bolt holes and the locating pins but I would not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. Those Lincoln Ys were big and so are the MELs. Most folks were looking to install a manual transmission so the bells were mostly aftermarket types.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-03-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #16
drtrcrV-8

Thank you EVERYONE who responded!!! Now I have more information to work with, so I am able to research availability vs price & make a choice. Not in a hurry as I don't want to mess this one up!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #17
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

With FE engines there are two types of engine mount pad castings on the block There are early and late if a person thinks about using an FE. Late can fit early with mods but early won't work with late types. I think the change was in 1962.

Some folks say the FE bell is close to the Lincoln Y bell in fit with exception to a couple of bolt holes and the locating pins
I think you are describing the MEL Series regarding the trans mounting pattern aren't you? The engine mount pads would have nothing to do with it.

The FE manual bell can be made to work but the FE flywheel flange needs to be re-drilled or a specialty flywheel made.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:
Bendtsen's can probably make a kit for your purpose no matter what that might be, so there's no reason to discard the idea.

https://transmissionadapters.com/
Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #19
rotorwrench

I was only describing FE differences which are few. Early are two bolt motor mount and later blocks are set up to do two forward or two aft or any multiple up to 4 bolt depending on engine application. If a person can get the big Y to work then just keep it. It's a truck motor and should hold up well enough. Putting in an FE wouldn't add much more than the performance factor since there is all a person would want as far as performance goodies to fit one. The Big Lincoln Y-block, not so much but at least it would be original to the car and the AOD would improve drivability.

Here is a new product from Bendtsens:
https://transmissionadapters.com/col...hv-to-ford-aod

If the car has the 368 then this should do the trick. Its for Big Ys to AOD. A person would have to get that and the beefed up version of the AOD. The AOD will require a throttle valve cable but they are available and not all that difficult to set up.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-03-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Lincoln ECU Alternate Transmission Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

here is a new product from bendtsens:

https://transmissionadapters.com/col...hv-to-ford-aod
That's exactly what the OP needs!