Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #21
Fortunateson

Default Re: 351 Driving Me a Little Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Fortunateson,

I have an NOS Holley for an '86 Ford truck 351W. Part number E6HE-9510-AC. Holley number LIST 50305-2. Carb has always been in a heated house since new. Appears as new. If it comes to that point, just letting you know I have one (actually two).

Sal
Thanks for the offer Sal. I just got the truck back from my mechanic. I was going to fiddle with it myself but all of a sudden retired life got really busy. Anyway they adjusted the choke a wee bit and it seems really good. Now I'll see Howe it goes when I leave it for a week or two as it was a reall burger to get started in those situations. Almost like the fuel was draining out of th Efteling bowl. We'll see how it goes...
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #22
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
... Now I'll see Howe it goes when I leave it for a week or two as it was a reall burger to get started in those situations. Almost like the fuel was draining out of th Efteling bowl. We'll see how it goes...
As the truck sits a few days the fuel level in the carb will start to drop and the float valve(s) will open. If the fuel pump has some age and its check valves don't seal completely the fuel line up to the carb will drain down to the fuel level in the gas tank. Possibly even lower than the fuel pump? And, if the pump is a bit tired getting the fuel back up may take a couple extra moments.
You could double check the output pressure & flow of the fuel pump.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-16-2019 at 10:42 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:29 PM   #23
40cpe

I would be surprised if you don't have to grind on it after a couple of weeks sitting. It is the nature of a carburetor. If it bothers you, you can install a flow-through electric fuel pump back near the tank to prime the carburetor after the truck sits for more than a few days.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:32 AM   #24
KULTULZ

Post Re: 351 Driving Me a Little Nuts

Quote:

Now I'll see Howe it goes when I leave it for a week or two as it was a reall burger to get started in those situations. Almost like the fuel was draining out of th Efteling bowl. We'll see how it goes...
After sitting and before trying to fire, take the ACL lid off and operate the throttle linkage to see if fuel is shot into the carb. No fuel means either fuel bowl heat percolation and/or fuel evaporation has emptied the fuel bowl(s).

Also, a mechanical fuel pump will not hold line pressure over time. The fuel in the pump to carb line drains back to the tank and the pump may take a while to prime. Same as starting an engine having to either prime the fuel bowls and/or having to dribble a little fuel into the carb throat making the engine catch enough to allow the pump to prime itself.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #25
Fortunateson

Good idea, will do. Truck running fine now though I think the idle speed setting is a tiny bit too high.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #26
Fortunateson

Another good idea.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Fortunateson

Thought I should up-date. All is good and thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #28
KULTULZ

Question Re: 351 Driving Me a Little Nuts

Quote:

Thought I should up-date. All is good and thanks for all the advice!
What condition did you finally find?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 06-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #29
Fortunateson

Well to be honest I took it back to the shop and let them do it. After all I was way to busy at the time and I paid them to install and adjust. They said they just adjusted it and that's fine with me!
Old 06-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #30
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 351 Driving Me a Little Nuts

That's OK. Sounds like a simple choke adjustment.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #31
grumppyoldman

I could tell you a story on what I did to my 351 W. but you couldn't get it inspected and the dealer I sold it to was really P.Oed when he found out the parts were aat my EX-wifws house. Don't know why he just didn't go get them. LOL Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #32
barnstuf

I am the original owner of my 1986 F-250 with 351 engine. It always starts quickly even after setting a month. It runs perfectly in cool weather and in winter cold weather. It has severe hesitation and almost stalls when driving in warm weather. My mechanic rebuilt the original carburetor which is still on the truck, but there was no change. As i remember there was a recall when the truck was new regarding the intake manifold, and the recall was performed by the selling dealer. As my only need for the truck is in the summer I am fed up with its hesitation antics. Recently it hesitated and then quit entirely while driving. AAA flatbedded it to my mechanic who found the problem was unrelated to the hesitation and was rodent eating the gas line near the top of the forward tank (it has dual tanks). I was quoted $800 for a new carburetor but I need the truck so seldom it is going to leave home, asking $650.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:11 PM   #33
scicala

Barnstuf, if your interested, I have two NOS Holley four barrel carbs for an '86 Ford truck with a 351W engine. Holley number is E6HE-9510-AC. Holley number LIST 50305-2. You can have for a heck of a lot cheaper than the $800 one you mentioned.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #34
greenpondmike

How much extra to deliver to Alabama?
greenpondmike is offline   Reply With Quote