Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default Steering

I would like input from anyone who is in the position to compare the steering of the F100 modification, verses a rebuild of a two tooth A box. The two tooth rebuild is expensive, and Im trying to decide which way to go.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Steering

LMAO Russ....not at ya but with ya. I'm ready to throw my F-100 away. It was modified here locally. I sent it to randy Gross for inspection and he says it's fine. I have fought the steering for the past several years and you name it and I have replaced it. Last week it was the right king pin. Several guys are telling me to go with dyna beads or radial tires. My bitch is too many guys are having great steering with the F-100 but why oh why can't I. The only other thing I have not done is rotate the tires. I think pound for pound either rebuilding the stock unit or going F-100 the $$$$ is probably the same. I just now got back from a club function and damn near lost control on the freeway. This was 45 minutes ago. Time for a martini and a stogie.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
quickchange

R/built 2 tooth with short pitman arm great , Randy,s F100 also available from Arizona A
or Ron Mosher in Newhall even better, Do it once ,Do it right, If you are not100% happy with either then you have other issues, A new tire won,t fix a hole in a tube ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
aermotor

Just wondering. What size tires and how fast on the freeway?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Just wondering. What size tires and how fast on the freeway?

John
4.75/19 50-55 mph.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
SSsssteamer

I have rebuilt the two tooth A steering box for the three of our Model A Ford and all three of them work excellent. To assist in making good steering, good shocks help, so does radial tires help, and a tight front end does too. So far I still have bias tires on all our A Fords. Proper inflation of the tires is important too. We drive out A Fords year round usually at 50 to 60 MPH.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSsssteamer View Post
I have rebuilt the two tooth A steering box for the three of our Model A Ford and all three of them work excellent. To assist in making good steering, good shocks help, so does radial tires help, and a tight front end does too. So far I still have bias tires on all our A Fords. Proper inflation of the tires is important too. We drive out A Fords year round usually at 50 to 60 MPH.
I was talking with Mike Kelly and Chuck Nordstrom today and they swear by Dyna Beads. Do you use them?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
aermotor

I can't speak for others but Dyna Beads eliminated my tire "bounce" on 21" tires, however, I couldn't tell any difference in steering. All steering components have been rebuilt including the gear box. I believe my steering issues are a result of the skinny 21" tires following the ruts in the roads as it is noticeably different on different roads at speeds of 55 or so.

John
Old 03-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
Russ/40

Your getting off track on the tire balance issue. I'm looking for input on EASE of steering, and of course play. Is the F100 box upgrade using bushings or bearings?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
TerryO

Quote:
LMAO Russ....not at ya but with ya. I'm ready to throw my F-100 away. It was modified here locally. I sent it to randy Gross for inspection and he says it's fine. I have fought the steering for the past several years and you name it and I have replaced it. Last week it was the right king pin. Several guys are telling me to go with dyna beads or radial tires. My bitch is too many guys are having great steering with the F-100 but why oh why can't I. The only other thing I have not done is rotate the tires. I think pound for pound either rebuilding the stock unit or going F-100 the $$$$ is probably the same. I just now got back from a club function and damn near lost control on the freeway. This was 45 minutes ago. Time for a martini and a stogie.
When you throw it away I hope you will throw it my way

I have F100 steering in my Sport Coupe and it is like having power steering, I can turn the wheels with one hand sitting still.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #11
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Your getting off track on the tire balance issue. I'm looking for input on EASE of steering, and of course play. Is the F100 box upgrade using bushings or bearings?
I understood Tacoma Bob's question to be, are Dyna beads helpful for steering? Answer is NO, I then explained my steering experiences and conclusion. After all, highways were basically nonexistant in 1928 and design speeds were not focused in the 50 and 60 mph range.

John,
Old 04-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
slammin

I don't have one of Randys F100 conversations, yet. There are many threads on here about them. While Tacoma Bob's box wasn't done by Randy, his post is the only one I've read complaining about the F100 box. I have a 7 tooth on my 29. Pricing all the components, it will take over $300 in parts to rebuild it and it will still be a 7 tooth!
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
jhowes

My brother has the F100 in his town car and I have the 2-tooth with bushings not needle bearings. I see no difference in the two cars. Both steer great and easy. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
How does the length of the pitman arm on the F100 box compare to a Model A arm? A shortened Model A arm?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #15
GMCPASO

I have an F-100 done by Mel Gross, Randy's dad, many years ago and it is great. Have had no problems once I got the front end set up correctly. Also use Dyna beads in my tires and on first long trip, 3400 miles, and what a wonderful at 50-55 mph. Forgot to do the spare tire and using it once was all I needed to realize I didn't put beads in it. Oops, 1929 Tudor.
GMCPASO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
GPierce

I had a rebuilt two tooth and rebuilt front end. The car tracked straight but still had steering wheel play in the center. I installed a Randy Gross F100. What a difference. I am no longer tired after a 150+ mile drive and doesn’t take both arms to make a ninety degree turn. It was well worth the money.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #17
marcshall

I have a shorten pitman arm on a F100 built by me and it is like power steering no play at all. whipping around corners is fun . I do have 1935 rims with bias tires
marcshall is offline   Reply With Quote