Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
desotoguy

Default 1931 Gas tank install

About to install the gas tank in my 31 Coupe. Anyone care to share your do's and don't when installing the tank, welt, and filler strip. All helpful hints appreciated. Really concerned as to getting the welt in place under the filler strip and between the tank and cowl. Thanks.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: 1931 Gas tank install

lay the welting on the tank and mark out for the holes, punch the holes and install the filter strip to the tank, with the two end bolts and two toward the middle. if you look at your cowl, there is two holes towards the middle that are larger then the rest, them are the ones you put the bolts in. now I use paint stir stick and shim out the front of the cowl panels to give you more room to install the tank. it does work a little better with two people. now set the tank in the hole and work the welting in before you pull out the shims in the cowl panels.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Nelson C

I agree that two people can make this task easier. It's good to cut slits/notches in the welting where it curves at each end of the tank. I've cut and stapled strips of cloth to the welting so they can be pulled snug from inside the car. Also, I've hot glued the welting to the tank in a few spots to hold it in place. I believe that the gas tank welting is to be painted lower body color. Hope that this helps.
Nelson C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
brianpharmd

I just installed my late 30 tank in my coupe last weekend. Used some clear RTV to hold the anti-squeek welt to the cowl and firewall. That way it does not move when installing the tank. I too cut slits (about 1 inch apart) where the curve begins on the tank at the cowl. Used some strips of cloth stapled to the slits to help pull it snug and up against the tank.
Followed the same steps as JW mentioned above with installing the tank screws. Ended up using some needle-nose plyers to pull specific spots of the tank welting to make it snug at the curves. Once I had the whole tank installed and the cowl welting pulled snug, then and only then did I cut the welting to be hidden under the cowl band.
Took quite a bit of time for me since I was by myself and wanted to ensure it was right the first time. Good luck!!
brianpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
desotoguy

Thanks guys, good advice, points I had not considered. Ask questions as someone has performed the task before you.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote