Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #1021
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Tinker, Folks,
Welcome back. Will not be taking the 32 out today as we have 4-5 inches of fresh snow since those pictures from the ride last night.
The young man that is very sick and could use all the Ford barn prayers is Zach Tomey, 34 Ford Hot Rod Kids son.
Today my grandson Nic is coming over to work on some of the electrical in the shop. This is finishing wiring outlets and things. He has just fired up his own electrical business too. So here is a plug for Casbohm Electric! Good luck Nic in your business! We are very proud!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-07-2022 at 06:54 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #1022
51504bat

Chris,
Thanks for the info on Zach. My wife is facing the possibility that her lung cancer has returned (never smoked in her 66 years) so I know the pain that the big C can cause. I will keep him and 34 Hot Rod in my thoughts and prayers.
Tim
Old 01-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #1023
sugarmaker

Tim,
Wishing the best for your wife. That has to be hard.
Zeke,
Yes 42 Deluxe reminded me that worn pedal pads are not safe.
Was a good little upgrade. Not cheap, but what is now days.
First snow plowing of the year. Cold and wind gusts here in the tundra. Burning some fuel to keep warm now.
Have many electrical outlets and switches completed today. Thanks to Nic.
I may have gotten the answer before from David G , who makes the window door channels for these trucks? I would like to try to work on those at some point.
I did call the machine shop and he is getting ready to pressure test block #1. If it passes, then. We can start getting into repairs.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #1024
DavidG

Chris,

Try Michael at Third Gen Auto in McMinnville, TN for the Vintique window channels.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #1025
sugarmaker

David,Folks,
Thanks for the quick response! I got a couple naps in after plowing the snow at 20 deg F this afternoon. Yikes it was cold. The Ford Jubilee did the job again, but man I need a heated cab!
I will contact Michael next week about the 32 truck door window channels.
Those would surely help some of the major rattles in the cab, and maybe save whats left of the drivers door glass too.
I did work on the three prong flasher for the additional light in the antique turn signal assembly. So far I have not been able to get it to function. Not a serious thing as the external signals work as they should.
I have been drooling on 34 FORD HOT ROD KID (Kens) 34 dump truck. Man its almost a dead ringer for mine only with a flathead. Wow! I can now relate and its nice!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #1026
flatford8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I did my hours at work then spent a couple hours on an open tractor plowing.......makes you appreciate being in the house when it’s done!.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 AM   #1027
sugarmaker

Some shots from yesterday. Snow is about a foot deep now.:

Ford related shot trying to get back on topic:

View to the west, just more snow coming at that time:

Very cold now but no wind. This is a test of all systems when the temps drop into the single digits. Winter of 77-78 comes to mind. We had 30 days that it never got above freezing. excessive amounts of snow. Water pipes frozen, pumps frozen. My hands are just starting to thaw out now!
I think I will wander out the shop and see how things are doing! I am sure it's sucking down the fuel right now!
Hope things are good in Ford Land! Stay warm! Bring the pets in!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 01-08-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #1028
outlaw

Wink Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Some shots from yesterday. Snow is about a foot deep now.:

Ford related shot trying to get back on topic:

View to the west, just more snow coming at that time:

Very cold now but no wind. This is a test of all systems when the temps drop into the single digits. Winter of 77-78 comes to mind. We had 30 days that it never got above freezing. excessive amounts of snow. Water pipes frozen, pumps frozen. My hands are just starting to thaw out now!
I think I will wander out the shop and see how things are doing! I am sure it's sucking down the fuel right now!
Hope things are good in Ford Land! Stay warm! Bring the pets in!
Regards,
Chris
Sugarmaker, Thats bout every day up here all 6 months of winter!
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #1029
34 FORD HOTROD KID

Thank you Tinker
34 FORD HOTROD KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:16 PM   #1030
sugarmaker

outlaw,
You are tough up there! Stay warm!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #1031
sugarmaker

Folks,
Considering the glass and track in the drivers side door on the 32.
The track needs for sure replaced. What would you do on the pass side? It works pretty good as it is. (Will get in touch with 3rd Gen)
The drivers door glass is cracked but complete. Leave it or replace??
Any ideas / suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #1032
DavidG

Chris,

Unless they were replaced somewhere along the way with safety glass, the original glass in your door windows was plate glass and neither laminated nor tempered safety glass. In other words, replacing it in both doors and in the rear window should be of the highest priority. While you are at it, also make sure that the windshield glass is laminated safety glass as original. It bothers me to see you and your passengers riding around with what might well be plate glass next to your heads.

Both the lower horizontal channel that the door glass is fitted into and the side and upper channels and seals are avail as reproductions (good reproductions). Check with Michael.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:02 AM   #1033
GB SISSON

Thanks for the recent updates on our friends health. We will pray with the rest of you. We have had very cold temps and snow since Christmas. Last winter I built a snowplow attachment for my old case skidsteer. We use it normally as a forklift and attachments don't switch easily on these old models so I made mounts for a 3 pt tractor rear blade to slide on the forks. Angle is done with a 46 ford truck steering box and a spring loaded pin. Had two days of 11 degrees with and 8 degree day in the middle. Pics are at the beginning, but after a week we had a foot of snow. We normally have a dreary mild rainy winter like London. Funny, my wife had gotten me electric heated gloves for Christmas just in time. Yes, I need a cab too with all this global cooling..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr plow 1.jpg (166.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg mr plow 2.jpg (159.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg mr plow 3.jpg (155.9 KB, 38 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:51 AM   #1034
Tinker

Cold as heck here, -25 most nights with a high of 0. Looks like it might warm up some.

Replaced the glass on my 38. Most of it was starting to delaminate. Picked up glass on ebay (go figure), coke bottle tint for the sides and rear. On a side note as a stupid 8 yr old kid with a bb gun I shot out a couple windows on the 38. Guess it was my penitence many decades later to replace it.

The practical side of me says, if it works be good with it. Not like it's a daily driver. But if you want a project, it's a good one.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #1035
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks for the recent updates on our friends health. We will pray with the rest of you. We have had very cold temps and snow since Christmas. Last winter I built a snowplow attachment for my old case skidsteer. We use it normally as a forklift and attachments don't switch easily on these old models so I made mounts for a 3 pt tractor rear blade to slide on the forks. Angle is done with a 46 ford truck steering box and a spring loaded pin. Had two days of 11 degrees with and 8 degree day in the middle. Pics are at the beginning, but after a week we had a foot of snow. We normally have a dreary mild rainy winter like London. Funny, my wife had gotten me electric heated gloves for Christmas just in time. Yes, I need a cab too with all this global cooling..

Sorry, going to be 72 today in SoCal. But I could sure use some of the cold from your neck of the woods for chill hours for my stone fruit trees.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:06 AM   #1036
sugarmaker

Folks,
Great suggestions from David G. on the glass and window channel updates! More on that project later.
Good to hear from Gary. Sure looks like he can build about anything needed to make life easier.
Tim needs some cool weather sent his way. Humm I know a guy that runs a snow making machine on the Allis Forum. He goes by Shameless. I will put in a good word for you.

Being way lazy the last few days around here in North West Pennsylvania. Must get out and do something of value!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #1037
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Folks,
Great suggestions from David G. on the glass and window channel updates! More on that project later.
Good to hear from Gary. Sure looks like he can build about anything needed to make life easier.
Tim needs some cool weather sent his way. Humm I know a guy that runs a snow making machine on the Allis Forum. He goes by Shameless. I will put in a good word for you.

Being way lazy the last few days around here in North West Pennsylvania. Must get out and do something of value!

Regards,
Chris
Chris, sharing your story and pictures with us is definately 'something of value'. I'm sure I speak for many here that the Barn is where we come to visit with our friends.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #1038
sugarmaker

Gary, Folks,
Thanks! Lets look at glass on this ragged ol' truck. It for sure was not a area I thought much about. The drivers side window was cracked sometimes in its working days before 1952. After David G's recommendations. I look at this closer that these could be shards of glass if broken further.

The rear window has no markings which could indicate safety glass. So I assume its plate glass too. Not a great picture. I did note that in theory the screws could be removed and that could be replaced too.

Question: Would these changes to replace the glass, distract from the value of the truck? My guess is probably not?

The front glass is marked with the safety glass markings. Now this has a crack near the hinge point. But This is not on my list to change.Not easy to see in this picture. It says "Hi Test, Safety Sheet

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 01-09-2022, 06:47 PM   #1039
DavidG

Chris,

It would seem that the windshield glass has already been replaced at least once over the ensuing ninety years as that marking is for an aftermarket glass supplier, not one of the original suppliers of safety glass to Ford (in addition to its own production of glass).

As for the effect on the value of the truck, having safety glass all around would seem to me to be a plus, not a minus. If you are unsure, ask your local glass supplier to furnish your new safety glass without any trademarks and add Ford trademarks at your convenience as all-around laminated safety glass was a extra cost option when your truck was new.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:13 PM   #1040
sugarmaker

David,
Great information that should help others if in doubt about their vehicle glass too? I wonder if Safelite glass does custom cutting of glass? I was impressed with them when they came out and replaced the windshield in Cheryl's Ford Edge a couple weeks ago.
The tech said they do antique cars but only in the shop.
Interesting that the HI TEST glass is a replacement too!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets