Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #41
hardtimes

Default Re: How much better is a B block than an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4christ View Post
Thanks @hardtimes I know "luck" has very little to do with it!

I'm wanting a simple early pre-war hopped up Sedan that I'm not afraid to drive around town and maybe on some backroads. No speed demons here!

As far as acquiring knowledge, I've already ordered the Breirley book and I have both Les Andrews books. They will be my references going forward.

My hope is to piece together a sound engine from most of what I have. If it becomes a money hole, I'll part out the motor and move on with an off-topic powerplant.

And BTW, I'm on the right coast!

Hey brett,
Sounds like you are getting a handle on moving forward thru knowledge.

A note about your original question.
Everyone has an opinion, and they are entitled to that, IMV !
My experience is that hearsay is too often used to distract from fact/truth,eh. Myself, I only use B blocks for the same reasons they were made by Ford instead of continuing A blocks.
I spoke with a very senior member here, who told me that he has done experimentation with A and B blocks, i.e.- 'cutting them up' to examine them to prove or disprove 'old wives tales' about block differences/deck thickness, etc. He says that he did not find evidence to support the tooo often repeated myths of differing block thickness.
Now, understanding that most existing 80 some year old A/B blocks have gone thru use doing their existence, it would be common sense that HOW such blocks were used/abused , is a major factor in their cast iron thickness. It is also a fact, that BOTH blocks crack. Freeze cracks; improper storage abuse rusting away; overheating cracks; foundry flaws and whatever the cause/effect.

Some time ago, I went to a 'rebuilder' of A/B engines. I had two A blocks. He took one as a core and knocked the side out of the other with a hammer. He took the BO block out back and placed it on a pile of about 50+ blocks (scrap metal). Most of what I say and what he advised were A blocks, I bought a nos Russian B block from him and we proceeded from there. What does that tell you ? Doesn't tell me a darn thing, but that scrap iron was cheap per 100wt.

Finally, there are guys here/otherwise who I have tried to learn from, who ONLY use B blocks..ever. What does that tell you (insert smiley quizzical face here) ! Your choice, your money.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #42
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Chris, exactly my point.

The market for an improved "B" block would be very limited by the fact that Vintage racing does not allow for aftermarket blocks.
John
John,
If the new block was made correctly no one would know it was new.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #43
M2M

Smile Re: How much better is a B block than an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett4christ View Post
Speaking of Russian/German blocks....How on earth would a common North Carolina grease monkey obtain one of these blocks? And I don't think I need to remind you all that NC grease monkeys don't maintain large bank accounts!!
Yeah, you're about 25 years too late as you could have swapped a pair of button fly 501 Levis for a NOS B block in the early 90s.

How heavy is a B short block with no internals? Air cargo on Aeroflot to JFK could be an option.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #44
M2M

Here's one for sale from last year for 20,000 rubles :

http://cars.rare.su/2017/03/11/%d0%b...-%d0%b0%d0%b0/

Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #45
Terry, NJ

So what did it actually sell for?
What does "Prodaga" mean? So many words in Russian begin with "Pro".
It is a pretty complete (Magneto) GAZ AA engine, What "gody"is it ? Before the war or after? Twenty thousand of anything for a GAZ engine sounds like optomistic dreaming!
Sosibo, Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Here's one for sale from last year for 20,000 rubles :

http://cars.rare.su/2017/03/11/%d0%b...-%d0%b0%d0%b0/
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #46
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
So what did it actually sell for?
What does "Prodaga" mean? So many words in Russian begin with "Pro".
It is a pretty complete (Magneto) GAZ AA engine, What "gody"is it ? Before the war or after? Twenty thousand of anything for a GAZ engine sounds like optomistic dreaming!
Sosibo, Terry
I don't know the details of the engine and I'm not sure if he sold it. Maybe try ringing him on that cell phone number. Don't worry about language problems just start repeating:

GAZ AA MOTOR! AMERICA! DOLLARS!!!

Old 05-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #47
Terry, NJ

I'll try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I don't know the details of the engine and I'm not sure if he sold it. Maybe try ringing him on that cell phone number. Don't worry about language problems just start repeating:

GAZ AA MOTOR! AMERICA! DOLLARS!!!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #48
daren007

Use the "B" block as a lawn ornament and spend the money elsewhere.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #49
Dick Carne

I am currently running a B block in my '29 Town Sedan, but if I had it to do over, I would go with an A block with inserts and a counter-balanced crank. Years ago when I acquired this B block, I had selected it because of the heavier and counter-balanced crank. Those improvements are now available for A engines. Given the updated A engine components now available, I would go with an A engine over a B, if for no other reason than to keep your car more original. From a driving perspective, I can't tell much difference (if any) between the B engine and an A engine. By the way, I still have the matching numbers engine that came with my Town Sedan, and will rebuild it when the B engine begins to show signs of "need". Hope this helps.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #50
Jim Brierley

The crank in Brett's engine is a BB, the heavy counterweights were installed by official Ford rebuilders, never from the factory. Reducing bearing diameters takes away some of the rigidity of the B, BB and C cranks, one of the main improvements over the A engine. A rods are smaller in I.D. than B's, so even less rigidity. I'd go with the B block, even if a small amount of cracks need repairing. Terry Burtz is also working on a new block, with 5 main bearings, full pressure, and other improvements. It will be very nice!!!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote