Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
Beater

Default Re: so this just happened....

oh I'm sure he dropped the clutch, and boom. much happier it was the gearbox rather than the axle.
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #22
Dennis D 1929

I read all the responses because I too have to rebuild my tranny. Reading all the parts that need to be replaced scares the bejeezers out of me. Would it be cheaper just to buy a rebuilt tranny ? Where is the best place to shop ?
Dennis D 1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Benson

Maybe they were pulling hard in second gear and went over a railroad crossing track under acceleration ... the rear wheels were spinning fast and free when the tires hit the dry pavement on the other side of the track.

Or spinning wheels on dirt when wheels hit the dry pavement.

Last edited by Benson; 11-21-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #24
SSsssteamer

When I was a kid over 55 years ago, while on cement, I did a quick burn out in reverse gear and I got instant wheel hop followed by blowing the cluster gear out the bottom of my transmission. After I did that transmission replacement, I have never tried a burn out in reverse or in first gear with a model A Ford again. A lesson quickly learned and retained. On the replacement transmission, inspect the gear teeth for pits and for worn out teeth also. The pitted teeth can break off across the pits and the well worn teeth will howl. Replace the faulty gears. Its best to not mix up the gears from different transmissions into another transmission. You can do it and make it work, but the gears that have been driven together for years, they lap their selves in to each other and unless they are worn out, they run quieter than mixed up gears from different transmissions.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 PM   #25
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
yes I was thinking about the shaft seals will do that I think hopefully this one doesn't have to come apart. I pulled the tower and had a look, no teeth missing or anything. had clean oil in it and gears were shinny turned nice n smooth by hand so think its gona be fine
I would dissemble it and make sure it fine before installing it.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #26
Simonpie

I remember a few stories on here about a tranny with worn forks or shifter ball being able to go into 2 gears at once, locking things solid. If this happened under way, or under power, it could blow the gears out the bottom. I'm just saying, have an honest talk with the kids before blaming. It might have been something else, and something hard to determine after the fact.

As I often say, "If the gas pedal wasn't supposed to go to the floor, they wouldn't have made it possible to do that."
Simonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #27
old31

HUH, what.

I am still trying to wrap my head around "pull the skin off a rice custard". Any photos or tech manuals on this?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
HUH, what.

I am still trying to wrap my head around "pull the skin off a rice custard". Any photos or tech manuals on this?
No need for a book! Just give me a pan of rice custard and a spoon, and I will show you. It may take repeated applications of the spoon, however!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #29
Jim Brierley

Save your turkey gravy from yesterday and use it in the trans, it'll quite it down quite a bit! :-)
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #30
Pilotdave

I'm with Junk Yard Kid. I'd give nearly anything if either of my kids were interested in anything automotive.......many years later I believe that this might have turned out differently had I involved them in fun mechanical exploits when they were young.

Not much differently than others have said....I would make checking out and rebuilding the new(er) tranny into a fun project and an educational experience for them.....along with the removal and reinstall process.

Dave
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #31
Beater

well I got lucky and got a good trans, or appears to be good anyways, from a friend. all clean and nice inside. I'm not sure if I'm going to re bearing it or not. might just put it in as is
Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #32
Beater

well I broke down and diss assembled the trans, and re bearinged it. decided for the cost of a few bearing id just do it gears all good everything was tight and clean no pits. I'm stalled out a bit, replaced the clutch, and went to put the new one in had all the preasure plate bolts in, alighnment tool in, and started snugging up the bolts. second time around I snapped off two of the bolts, so decided that its time for new ones of those aswell. so waiting for those.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #33
daveymc29

Spare the rod and spile the chile! They probably feel bad already so a good whuppin added on? Wow!
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #34
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Spare the rod and spile the chile! They probably feel bad already so a good whuppin added on? Wow!

no, no whuppins sorry
Old 12-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #35
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D 1929 View Post
I read all the responses because I too have to rebuild my tranny. Reading all the parts that need to be replaced scares the bejeezers out of me. Would it be cheaper just to buy a rebuilt tranny ? Where is the best place to shop ?

Dennis, Really, don't be afraid of tearing into a model A trans, they are about as simple and fool proof as any mechanical device can be. Yeah, it's going to be a bit greasy and dirty, and you will need to pull the rear end or engine to get to it, but all that is simple stuff, even for a novice. If you are in an A club and need a little assistance, there are probably several fellow members who'd be happy to help, or at least look over your shoulder. This is an excellent place to get your feet wet if you don't have much mechanical background, and definitely, do not be scared of it.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #36
Beater

I was the same, nervious to pull trans apart. Ive built model kits when i was a kid that were more complicated. Nothing to it
Old 12-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #37
garyjohn

I did my trany, put in sealed bearings front and back, shaft seals and the one in the bell housing. NO LEAKS
garyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 PM   #38
Beater

I put sealed bearings in this one to I did however pull the inside seales out left the external ones
Old 12-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #39
jhowes

I have good instructions on rebuilding the rear end but are there any such step by step instructions on the transmission? Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #40
Beater

there is a very good one on youtube. by john karal

https://youtu.be/D7PwUj2nIc8