Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #221
Ross F-1

Default Re: Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Some stats - I averaged about 16.5 mpg, temps averaged 165-170, only consumed about 2 qts of oil after 6400 miles of driving (I did do an oil change in Pueblo), we bought about $840 of fuel at an average of $2.15/gallon burning about 390 gallons, the new shocks installed in Pueblo were broken in quite well on the ride home, and other than the issues reported, the car performed remarkably well.

Now for what we thought was vapor lock, it was not. I run 94s which have three settings - as told to me, I was running the middle setting when I should have been in the upper one. That would have eliminated the problems so I have been told by providing more fuel at the altitudes we were running.

I would love to hear what you guys think ....
I'm glad you got to enjoy some NM scenery! Lots of open space, eh?! Not the place to worry about a breakdown.

Normally you want to take fuel out at higher altitudes. On my trips back east, with an on-board exhaust analyzer (air/fuel monitor), I find by the time I get down to 3500' I see my mixtures going leaner. By the time I get to 2500' I swap in bigger jets, but also decrease my power valve setting.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #222
'36 5W

Another Great road trip! Thanks for taking us along!

Also a real testament to the reliability of your roadster....
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #223
TomT/Williamsburg

36 5w - she took a beating all right but I have yet to go underneath to see if anything has gone awry - thank you for coming along!

Ross F-1 - thanks for responding to my question. So, if I read your post right, the NM setting is richer than at sea level? For some reason I always thought the opposite but I am no guru that is for sure ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #224
TomT/Williamsburg

I realize my last post on this thread was in early July but I did have something special happen to me today at a yearly gathering at Jerry's place, one of the guys who drove out to LA in our group, that I would like to share. It is not that I received it, but more for my flathead powered car and for flatheads in particular that we all so lovingly keep alive and well in our rides.

All the guys on the LA trip were amazed at how well my car and the flattie in it performed throughout the trip - they kept telling me that they could not believe that I could run at the speeds I did and for so long with virtually no problems. So, on Jerry's initiative, he had an award plaque made up for me and Earl to congratulate us on our to LA and back and how well the car performed.

I was floored, first for the thought and then for the actual award - it means a lot to me that they really saluted the flathead, the engine that was at the beginning of it all, and my car. This is better than any trophy because it was given to me by mostly people I had never known before the trip - thank you so much guys I will never forget your thoughtfulness and the fun we had ....

As for the plaque, they all said I had a big pair of balls to drive the car across country, hence the bull and the "balls" hanging from the back of the car. The caricature of Earl really looks like him and I really like that the plaque itself is two sided, depicting the way out and the way back, especially the tumbleweed that ran into us and caused so many problems to "Tumbleweed Tom" ..... thanks so much guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_133129260[1].jpg (81.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_133133699[1].jpg (66.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_133141967[1].jpg (78.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_143204700[1].jpg (71.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161126_164439321_HDR[1].jpg (75.5 KB, 78 views)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #225
A bones

Congrats, and thanks for sharing the emotion. Many of us on 'The Barn' were plugging for you. It was a Valiant undertaking. I'm sure we all were hoping for the best, and now you know!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #226
sidevalve8ba

Many thanks for taking us along with you through your stories and photos. To me you will forever be "Tumbleweed Tom". You have earned that nickname, Tom.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #227
TomT/Williamsburg

Thanks, guys - yes, there are a few more modern upgrades on my flattie but, in the words from the movie, "Scent of a Woman", DON'T SHE PURR!!

I had a blast on the trip and keeping y"all with me along the way. Next run may he to the Fordbarn event in Feb and/or the Lone Star Roundup first full weekend in April ..... keep your radio dial tuned to Tumbleweed Tom ....