Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Eccentric Old Guy

Default Difference between 28 and 29 pickup....

Look at 5:49. Is it a 28 or 29, and what makes it evident?

https://youtu.be/Oilh_v2A8OE
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #2
Eccentric Old Guy

Default Re: Difference between 28 and 29 pickup....

Did the 29s all have door latches below the window, where you can't see it from the outside. I see this one in the video, has the door latch handle as a vertical lever above the bottom of the window, and plainly visible from the outside. This is the same as my 28ccpu.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
1crosscut

From the exterior the 28 and 29 cabs look pretty much the same. The rear window was higher on the earlier 28's.
The late 29's were switching over to the more rounded cabs and had the tab style radiator caps and gas caps instead of the screw on ones.
If the hand brake is on the left side of the cab it is a 28 or very early 29.
The head lights and radiator shell on the truck in your video being painted black are an indication of a commercial truck.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
From the exterior the 28 and 29 cabs look pretty much the same. The rear window was higher on the earlier 28's.
The late 29's were switching over to the more rounded cabs and had the tab style radiator caps and gas caps instead of the screw on ones.
If the hand brake is on the left side of the cab it is a 28 or very early 29.
The head lights and radiator shell on the truck in your video being painted black are an indication of a commercial truck.
Interesting.....I'm wondering about my 28ccpu. It has screw on radiator and gas caps. The headlights and radiator shell are painted black. The hand brake is in the center, right next to the gear shift lever.

Is the rear window high, or low?

Hard to say what was changed by the previous owners, but I'm wondering if it was a commercial truck originally, and how early production it may have been.

I understand about the rear bumpers, and these were added by a previous owner. The bumpers were originally on a coupe, or sedan...

What else can the experts on FB say about my truck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg .2 (3).jpg (92.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg .5.jpg (210.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Eccentric Old Guy; 11-14-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #5
WTSHNN

Do you have a copy of the Restoration Guidelines? They are great for narrowing down the time frame of your vehicle.
https://model-a-ford.org/products-pa...ards-complete/

If you go through that book you can start to pick things apart based on introduction and obsolete dates to get a better idea of your truck's production date...if what you're looking at is original to your truck.

The earliest cabs had a high window and a Ford script, the next version only had the high window, and then the next was a window similar to yours. Here is a page that shows the difference and the timing.
https://aafords.com/cabs/82-a-closed-cab/

The brake handle mounted to the right of the shift lever puts it after July of 1929 (if it is original to the car).

The headlights and radiator shells were painted black on pickup trucks with the exception of the late 1931 Deluxe Pickup. The rounded style cabs were introduced in mid-1930.

The truck you reference in the video is equipped with a telephone box on the back including wire spool. The original image is dated 1932 and is from Burton, Ohio.

-Tim

1932BurtonOH.jpg
Old 11-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Papa's CCPU

Using Neil's site as Tim listed above, there is a sub-section on mirrors, https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/, check location of mirror mounting holes shown in your first picture. Those dimension will help you narrow down timeframe of at least your cabs design. Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks to be "d4" or "d5" location so you have and E29 to mid30 cab.

Is there any stamping on the sub-frame surround for floorboards near side by left foot or along back near right heal? These are the areas where the body assembly/production stampings have been found...

As these cabs were produced into mid-30, the gas tanks had the tabbed caps but looked like the 28/29 tanks...I have one...

-Mike

Last edited by Papa's CCPU; 11-14-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Papa's CCPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa's CCPU View Post
Using Neil's site as Tim listed above, there is a sub-section on mirrors, https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/, check location of mirror mounting holes shown in your first picture. Those dimension will help you narrow down timeframe of at least your cabs design. Hard to tell from your pic, but it looks to be "d4" or "d5" location so you have and E29 to mid30 cab.

Is there any stamping on the sub-frame surround for floorboards near side by left foot or along back near right heal? These are the areas where the body assembly/production stampings have been found...

As these cabs were produced into mid-30, the gas tanks had the tabbed caps but looked like the 28/29 tanks...I have one...

-Mike
Howdy Mike......and thank you for responding.

Actually, the mirror is attached to the upper hinge pin, as shown in the photo there. My mount looks to be a little shorter in length than the one shown, though. This doesn't mean there wasn't holes for another original mirror mount, but if so, they've been filled in and repainted.

It does have the screw on gas tank and radiator caps.

Who knows how many previous owners this truck has had?.....and, how many modifications it's had over the years. It has a model B engine, with model A manual advance distributor and Zenith carburetor, and correct Model A cam cover with model A timing pin location in the right place.

I guess it's conceivable that the title was missing at some point, and a new title has been created, but my title does say it's a 1928. Maybe that's wrong? Now I'm more confused as ever as to exactly what I have!!!!!