Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
DBrer

Default mallory distributor

I have a ya 11a mallory and I'm having a hard time trying to find a cap for it. The car is 12v. Will a stock distributor run on 12v. I'm thinking about changing the distributor, but the ones listed in most of the parts catalogs don't say if they're 12v compatible. thank you, Don
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: mallory distributor

I've been running mine on12 volts for the past 14 years with good results . There are two choices Change the coil to a 3 ohm version or use a resistor at the coil connection if the original type coil is used .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

For hotter spark and improved performance I use the Pertronix flame thrower coil .
Old 02-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
CarlG

I sent a couple of Mallory distributors to Bubba’s a year ago along with the agreed $$ to be rebuilt. Still don’t have them or my money back.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I sent a couple of Mallory distributors to Bubba’s a year ago along with the agreed $$ to be rebuilt. Still don’t have them or my money back.
The squeaky wheels are getting the grease!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Nosetime

Oh Boy. I too sent a YA to Bubba, allowing what I thought was a reasonable amount of time before my car was ready. After 4-5 months i bought a Bubba restored YL on eBay so I could drive. I ended up buying another YL in new condition as backup.
Now for the bad news to DB, you may never find a good cap. I looked for a year. I ended up buying a whole YA just for the cap. You will find a lot of guys have had to do the same. I may consider selling it. If you buy a YA-11 and have Bubba go through it, you will have over $500 into it. Thats why you rarely see a car with them. They do pop up on eBay on occasion, usually in the $275 to 300 range. There is a NOS for sale at $500 which is a bargain. There is another on Hamb for $375 that looks very good.
Now, some better news. I have seen V8 caps converted. You do see these and 6 cyl caps for sale on eBay. No idea how they run, but it looked like a reasonable set up. About Bubba, he slowed down significantly due to health problems and has a limited schedule. His communication at best, is a problem by todays standard. But, his Grandson is involved, hopefully he can take on some of that end, too! The work quality is not a question, to be sure! He is focused on select V8 distributors now, so I would talk to him BEFORE you ship anything. My biggest criticism would be they opened my box and cashed my check right away which, to me implied starting the job. That was not the case. Again, I would make sure you have a backup distributor in use, then consider sending your YA in. Russ, at some point I was very uncomfortable pressing for mine, but honestly, a lot of promises were not kept regarding timeline. Whew...after all that I would still send Jim another distributor. Mine went to him right in the beginning of his health issues, and I know he was already very busy and backed up..last we talked he scaled it all back and hopefully is on top of it. Finally, why use a YA-11 at all you might ask? Because they are beautiful large, stout cast iron period parts. I love them!

Last edited by Nosetime; 02-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I bought one from Harrys model A in the 90's and haven't had to do anything to it since . It runs great .
Old 02-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
DBrer

Thanks for all the info you guys that is very interesting. I think I will probably buy a new original one from one of the parts catalogs so I can get the ignition parts I need without any hassle. The ya I have now is in the car and works great I will run it until I need a cap and then replace the whole thing. I have new points and a rotor so maybe it will run a long time. thanks again and I hope you guys get yours back in working order real soon. Don
Old 02-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Nosetime

You may never live long enough to need a cap. Are you talking YA-11 Mallory from the 1930’s? I think we are on different pages here.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
DBrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosetime View Post
You may never live long enough to need a cap. Are you talking YA-11 Mallory from the 1930’s? I think we are on different pages here.
I'm not sure what year or years it was installed, the tag just says ya-11a.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:52 AM   #11
aermotor

I am not sure I am on the same page. I have a Mallory with the only tag being 2301105 and could not find a cap. I discovered that the marine version of the 4 cylinder Chev works. I don't remember and can' find the part number but it was different than the Ford cap number.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Nosetime

Thats the advantage of the YL. Parts are available, like Aermotor says, marine caps and points, condensers, etc.. readily available.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
DBrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I am not sure I am on the same page. I have a Mallory with the only tag being 2301105 and could not find a cap. I discovered that the marine version of the 4 cylinder Chev works. I don't remember and can' find the part number but it was different than the Ford cap number.

John
That would be great if you could find the part number. I could compare it to the cap I have. Thanks John.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #14
Flathead

There are some ya's on ebay right now. I don't know the seller or have any personal interest in the listings.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
DBrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
There are some ya's on ebay right now. I don't know the seller or have any personal interest in the listings.
Thank you for the information. Don