Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
VeryTangled

Exclamation Scary Story: Model A, I-95 Daytona, Tuesday 20th

Hello Model A'ers, I usually hang out on the flathead forum.

Earlier this week a thread appeared describing a Model A that might have been hit on I-95 on Tuesday night. It sounds like a posting from a trucker that is also a forum member, and he spoke with a couple of drivers who were behind him, but had all stopped at the same location later that evening.

Does anyone have any information to add about the possible accident?

The info about lighting and driving interstates at night is good for all old car people.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...l=1#post882258

One very simple thing my dad taught me is to line the tail light buckets with aluminum foil. It can be done in minutes and every bit helps.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
roccaas

Default Re: Scary Story: Model A, I-95 Daytona, Tuesday 20th

This may have been the same pickup that was causing so much trouble on I 95 S in SC and GA on Tuesday. Lots of CB chatter. I was too far away to see it.

The Minimum speed is 45, but you're a fool to try it on the Eastern Autobahn.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
J Franklin

It is a shame that many drivers are inconsiderate and speed way beyond their ability to keep proper control of their vehicle. If a minimum has been set at 45MPH drivers should be aware that not everyone is going the same speed. Just wait till folks return to horses due to high gas prices, we will all have to be more in tune with our surroundings.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
31Tudor

Well actually I have some information on the accident. This was my buddies 31 Roadster that he had just sold to a gentleman who lived in Orlando. We live north of Charlotte, NC. This guy was bound and determined to make it in one day back to Orlando. They came by my house the night before he left on Tuesday morning. I had even mapped him a route to Orlando without having to go on the interstates. He thanked me but I could tell he was not really interested. We both said that would be a really long day, and that we would make it into at least an over nighter.
Well then the accident!! He apparently was hit from behind on I95. Flew upside down, landed on the wheels and then was hit by another car. He was released from the hospital that very next morning with bruises and a few cuts. Amazing that he was not killed! He called my buddy that next morning to let him know what happened. Absolutely shocked that he did not die or would have been in the hospital for months.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Well actually I have some information on the accident. This was my buddies 31 Roadster that he had just sold to a gentleman who lived in Orlando. We live north of Charlotte, NC. This guy was bound and determined to make it in one day back to Orlando. They came by my house the night before he left on Tuesday morning. I had even mapped him a route to Orlando without having to go on the interstates. He thanked me but I could tell he was not really interested. We both said that would be a really long day, and that we would make it into at least an over nighter.
Well then the accident!! He apparently was hit from behind on I95. Flew upside down, landed on the wheels and then was hit by another car. He was released from the hospital that very next morning with bruises and a few cuts. Amazing that he was not killed! He called my buddy that next morning to let him know what happened. Absolutely shocked that he did not die or would have been in the hospital for months.
Good to hear the driver is o.k. From the description of the accident, it did not sound good.

Neal
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
mhsprecher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The Lord protects drunks and fools, as the saying goes. That is one lucky guy.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Randy in Illinois

Glad the driver w a s not killed. I seen some model a' s. Wrecks and they are not a pretty sight. With old cars or motorcycle they say never drive/ride faster than your angle can fly. Enjoy the ride and smell the roses on the way.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
Spokes

One lucky man, I would bet it was a lot more than luck. By the sounds of the accident, the car is a write off. I wonder if he will buy another "A"???
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
colin1928

Makes you think about lights
I think I would prefer to have good bright lights then dull original
I have followed many vintage cars going to events and most are very hard to see
there lights are too low and too dim
I am mainly talking brake lights during the day but night lights are also poor on most
I will look at fitting extra lights higher up now on my RPU
Anyone done this I would like to see examples
Colin
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Amazing story. Please tell us his insurance situation, how that plays out and of course, glad to hear the man wasn't hurt any worse than he was. I'm wondering too, if he'll get into another Model A when the dust settles and he heals up, or if he'll go a different route.

I know people who do, but man oh man I wouldn't take a Model A Ford on the Interstate unless maybe, just maybe, you had the mods but even THEN I've seen these idiots blow by me when I'm doing 75 in my modern car, like I was doing maybe 25 or 30. People today have absolutely no respect for you, your family, or your property. It is a zoo out there today.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
TerryH

I think it is just crazy to not have 2 LED tail lights on any Model A that is going to be driven any amount in today's traffic. Not sure if that was even the problem here, but that and very good headlights, plus turn signals are a must for me.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
Roadster62

The driver walked away from this, that is the main consern on any wreck, but I can't help but wonder what the remains of the car look like. Bob
Old 05-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Randy in Illinois

I always questioned the point of seat belts in a model a, it may be better to be thrown from the car than to roll over or side impact. What ever your comfort zone is. Also you have a gas tank in your lap that can easily. Spill gas or crack on impact. Therefore. My choice would be to take my chances being thrown out of. My model a.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #14
jimalabam

Randy, stats show that 75 percent of people thrown from vehicles in accidents are fatal. Other posts above, I agree, make your rear lights b right as possible and stay off interstates if all possible and never at night. Above Charlotte to Orlando in one day in a Model A = Very foolish.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
Randy in Illinois

Jim/Alabam, Agree 110% Visibility is #1 with lights front and rear. long distance in a hurry= very foolish solo. I don't do interstates/toll ways. Back roads and highways are the best. there is alot to see in this great country of ours form the seat of a Model A. If you travel long distances do it in numbers ( other model A's) more visable. and you still have to have eyes all around you for idiots. DRIVE SAFELY
Old 05-24-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
huddy

Any car made prior to 1980 has a cloak of invisibility. Leastwise that's my conclusion based on the numbers of drivers who pull out in front of me, tailgate, and otherwise indicate that I'm not there.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here in Florida I95 is not just the name of the road, it is the average speed of traffic. The guy is an ass for driving on the highway and a greater ass for doing it at night.

This man needs to save his money by never buying a lottery ticket again as he has used up all the luck one is given in a lifetime on this trip.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #18
marc hildebrant

I have driven my Model A on interstates and haven't had any problems to-date.

I have been on an interstate in a "modern" car, going the speed limit and hit from the back. The car was driven into the concrete barrier and I went from 60 MPH to 0 MPH in 2 seconds.

I would not want to drive at night on the interstates with the Model A, but I wouldn't mind during the day.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
roccaas

Next time:

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=AT
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #20
scrapiron

It doesn't say much for the cops that should have had this jerk off the interstate before he got that far.

A 45 mph minimum is unsafe.
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote