Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
ford1

Default Re: need advice on an overseas sale!

yes scammers use western union or money gram for a reason, its money in your hand, no check to bounce in 30 to 45 days, once money sent that way they cant get it back unless you want to give it back, almost every thing being bought from over seas is a scam, and no matter where they say they are the chances are there in nigeria, better to lose a buyer than your cars and then have to pay back a bad bank deal cashier checks, money orders, even postal money orders are being conterfited, get the money in your hands, no bank tranactions or bank info needs to be given out, its your merchandise and money , do what you feel best with, good luck
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Greg in Jax

Mart is correct, and Hoop's tongue is firmly in cheek (as usual). This is the normal way of doing business in Germany. I lived there for c. 19 years and continued the pursuit of the hobby there, our daughter lives there now so I know that the system is still the same, and I have sold many V8-60 parts to buyers in France, NZ and AUS. Different banking system, guys, and Mart is right about who is taking the chance, too. The banks will, of course, get their piece of the action just like here in the good ole USA.
Greg in Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #23
felix37

Thanks for all of your advice! You have all made some very good points.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #24
deuce lover

Sold my 35 tudor to a fellow in Sweden 2 yrs ago.No problems at all.Its normal that they ask for your acct and routing numbers.They can only transfer money in and not take out.Sold parts to Australia ,UK, NZ ,Japan & France - same deal and no problems.BofA charges $16-$25 per transaction.In all cases vehicle or merchandise were not shipped until paid in full.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
tb40

I have to get in on this one.
The money transfer is no problem but shipping is.
Tell the customer that he will have to arrange all shipping etc.
I hope the best.

Travis
tb40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #26
345 DeSoto

So Bank Wire Transfer IS safe...or isn't it?...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #27
deuce lover

Bank wire transfer is the quickest & safest
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #28
tradmot

hi folks,
i´m the man ,everybody is talking about here in this thread.
mart from this board here got in contact with me to save my reputation.
he jumped in for me although he didn´t even know me!! cool guy

at first: i do not want to play tricks to anybody!! i´m a serious classic-car and hot-rod builder here in germany, and i´m doing a lot of oversea buying and selling. but how do the sellers get their money? i do it mostly by bank-wire. if here are people who use birds or paper planes,do it... i do it with a bank.
we all share the same hobby and all you doubters should be a bit more open minded... not all european people are gangsters
everybody is invited to visit my website,so that you can see what i´m doing all day long.

greez from germany
basti
tradmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #29
Capn John

"everybody is invited to visit my website,so that you can see what i´m doing all day long."
Please post the web site address.
Thanks
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #30
tradmot

sorry,i forgot that.
www.traditional-motors.de
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #31
felix37

Basti, I didn't mean to tarnish yours or anyone's reputation,I simply asked my fellow Barner's advice on doing a transaction that I have never done before,simply doing my due diligence. We hear a lot about scams that go on,so I simply explained my situation and waited for guidance from the many members on this site who's opinions and knowledge I respect and rely on, It's how we learn! Basti,Thanks for standing up and introducing yourself! Your web site looks great! I just wish I could read German. For those of you that are curious,I have e-mailed and spoke with Ullrich, Basti's partner and he has given me all the proper information on the shipping company and I have given him My information to make the transaction,so it looks as though everything will work out. Thanks everyone for looking out and helping out! Jonathan
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #32
tradmot

hi jonathan.sorry i didn´t want to step on your feet.but sometimes it´s getting realy ugly in those forums.i understand that you are a little bit scared, telling a guy 10000 miles away your bank account.but now you hopefully know that everything is ok.i wrote you an email with other parts i´m looking for.eventually you got something for me...
greets basti
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #33
Fairlane500

I purchased three cars from the USA last year one from Wisconsin, one from Iowa and one from Pensylvania. I paid for all via SWIFT transfer, a swift code was supplied by the seller which is a code for their bank and I did the lot online as an international transfer direct to the sellers bank. I did see mention of fees being charged in an earlier thread, the trick is to select the actual banks swift code by address and not the principle banks swift code, ie it will go to the highest level and cascade to branch level attaching a fee as it cascades.

It is the easiest method I have found to date, I looked at using Paypal once for a vehicle purchase but the seller copped a 600 fee for the transaction, so never proceeded.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #34
klicker

OK, one more comment. I don't think anyone was trying to say that Basti is a crook because he asked for bank numbers. There is a ton of good advice on this thread in general regarding ways to confirm the person you are dealing with is a legit person, such as googling names, businesses, addresses, etc. I got an offer to buy a car from a "marine going overseas" who gave me a military sounding address. I googled the military address and got sent to a blog with dozens of entries of nearly identical phony offers to buy or sell a vehicle. Bottom line, do some research if you aren't sure. I believe that is what was done here on this thread. And welcome to the FordBarn Basti.

I have been a cop for 33 years. Including time spent investigating fraud. If anyone gets a specific strange sounding offer from someone and needs advice on how to check it out, feel free to contact me.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #35
Hotrodladycrusr

I sold my other '47 Olds convertible overseas to a guy in Australia via a wire xfer to my bank. My bank, Chase, charged me $50 for this service so I passed this fee to the buyer which he gladly paid. Was the smoothest sale I've ever done.

I also purchased a car using a wire transfer as I had to travel into Canada to get to NY to pick up the car and you can't bring more then $10,000 cash into the country without going thru a bunch of hassle so I just wired the guy the money and went and picked up the car. Easy enough and completely safe.