Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
aermotor

Default Head lights

I have 2 good buckets and lens attaching clamps - that is all. I would like to go with sealed beam good quality conversion or would it be better and cheaper to go back original? If conversion would be best - who's? 6 volt + grd.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Head lights

There are two types of sealed beam conversion kits available. The first types put the sealed beam behind the original lens. The lens defuses the light and makes it useless. The second type mounts the sealed beam without a lens and the whole unit, in my opinion, looks like a bug eyed monster from a cheap horror movie of the fifties. Needless to say I would go back to the original. Get the reflectors from Bratton's, they have the best, do not go anywhere else for the reflectors. I would try A&L for wiring or put an ad in the wanted section for original wiring. What year is you vehicle and how about a picture of the parts you have?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
I have 2 good buckets and lens attaching clamps - that is all. I would like to go with sealed beam good quality conversion or would it be better and cheaper to go back original? If conversion would be best - who's? 6 volt + grd.

John
With correctly formed and plated reflectors being made today, there is no reason not to go original.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
TerryH

My first Model A.....a 1930 Coupe, bought in 1964....came with sealed beam headlights. I didn’t like the look at all, and changed them back to original as soon as I could.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
MAG

If you were nearby I would give you the sealed beam conversion I took out of my car. They are the type that fits behind the original lens. Can not focus them because the original lens disrupts the focus of the sealed beam bulb. No way I would install them.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
Badpuppy

You didn't mention the year. If Twolite lamps, go original. With H-type your bulb options are limited to #1158, 21/3 CP, so maybe sealed beams behind fluted lenses wouldn't be so terrible. The fluting only spreads the beam side to side rather than the more complicated Twolite pattern.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
DHZIEMAN

Quote:

John
I have done the sealed beam conversion! Allow me to share, only halogen 6 volt sealed beams are available! Current draw goes up considerably. I wanted to retain 6 volts! With that said, the issue becomes, what do I set the third brush of the gen to allow proper charging to not boil the battery? The solution was replacing the manually regulated gen, with a modified to 6 volt internally regulated delco remy alternator! If you have good silver on your reflectors, another choice are some UK led's that will draw less current, are brighter than a sealed beam and can be focussed for maximum pattern and brightness, and they should last forever. There is another or maybe many posts on this subject. Also, I am discovering with my sealed beams on, my ahooga horn struggles to "ahooga" Let us know what U decide and hope this helps!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
ryanheacox

For a 30-31 Twolite setup, you're looking at ~$250 for all the parts to go back to stock. To convert to sealed beam it looks like it'll be around $170 (conversion kit, lenses, rims). Not sure what year you have so prices will vary.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
Ted Duke

Smile Re: Head lights

Quote:

John

John,
What year is it? I have a set of sealed beams that attach right to the 1929 buckets, which I am not going to use, with 6 v bulbs. Came off my 1929 RDSTR PU in 1970, gathering dust.

PM me with an offer I can't refuse!

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
Dick Carne

If you are looking to add reflectors and are looking to maximize the brightness of your headlights, I might suggest that you consider a new set of reflectors and the quartz conversion that is available at most Model A suppliers. Before responding here, I pulled up Snyder's and they have a conversion set-up with new reflectors and quartz bulbs for just under $100.

I initially ran a six volt alternator on my cars primarily to maximize the effectiveness of the new quartz bulbs, but soon came to appreciate a 12-volt system instead. To me, the brightness of even 6-volt bulbs became relatively dim when stopped for traffic lights, slower moving speeds and such. The 12-volt systems do not seem to be as susceptible to dimming as the 6-volt systems. However, the conversion to a 12 volt set-up would require new bulbs all around, new coil set-up, and realistically, a conversion to an alternator. If you should consider converting to 12-volt at any time, please be sure to use a coil with an internal resister. Good luck with whatever course you take.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote