Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Neede: Phaeton Poster Photo

A495 is in the MAFFI Museum in the Gilmore Museum in Kalamazoo, MI. What they do for each car is put an informative "curb sign" by each car. It gives information about the particular car and has a period piece of advertising for each car. Tonight when I saw the draft of A495's curb sign the advertising was actually that of a 1929 (exterior door handles on the 29's). So I'd like to correct that, if possible.

When the Model A's were first introduced in December of 1927, dealerships were given posters of the different body styles. For A495's curb sign at Gilmore, I would like to have the advertisement piece be a photo of this particular Dec '27 poster. Do any of you have a good copy of the poster and have the ability to send me a high quality photo of it? Or do any of you just have a photo of this particular poster?

To your knowledge is there some other drawing of the early Phaetons out there?

Thank you very much.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Neede: Phaeton Poster Photo

Dean,

Try Mike Gooding if you haven't already.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Bick in New Zealand

How is this one ?

I can send you a larger file if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phaeton.jpg (60.1 KB, 67 views)

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
al's28/33

I have an 11x17 color poster of an early '28 phaeton no door handles but it is Arabian sand. Got it from Brattons a few years ago. I also have same size B/W photo (repro) of the '27 Phaeton prototype that I got from MAFFI.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
dean from bozeman

Thanks Pluck, I will be contacting Mike. Bick and al's28/33 I have sent a pm to each of you.

If anyone else has a photo of early '28 Phaeton advertising please send a high resolution copy to [email protected].

Thanks.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I wanted an advertisement for my 28 Phaeton, but never could find one.
I was later told that there were no magazine ads for the 28 Phaetons.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
burner31

A phaeton is a style of open automobile or carriage without weather protection. It is an automotive development of the fast, lightweight phaeton carriage. Originally meant to denote a faster and lighter vehicle than a touring car, the two terms eventually became interchangeable. A popular style of phaeton was the dual cowl phaeton, with a cowl separating the rear passengers from the driver and front passenger.

Phaetons fell from favour when closed cars and convertible body styles became widely available during the 1930s. Convertibles and pillarless hardtops were marketed as "phaetons" after actual phaetons were phased out.

A phaeton differs from a convertible in having no winding or sliding windows in the doors or the body, and no permanent roof, whether rigid or folding. A detachable folding or rigid roof could be added before a drive in preparation for inclement weather, and side curtains or screens could be installed once the roof was in place. This was mainly temporary and partial relief rather than the more permanent, watertight protection offered by a convertible. As a result, a phaeton was much lighter than the sturdier, weather-ready convertible. Since the body was entirely open, it was easy to add or remove an extra row of seating where space had been left in the original construction.

The term phaeton had historically described a light, open four-wheeled carriage. When automobiles arrived it was applied to a light two-seater with minimal coachwork. The term was interchangeable with spyder, derived from a light form of phaeton carriage known as a spider.[1] However, there were also double phaetons, with two rows of seats, triple phaetons, or even closed phaetons.[1][2] Eventually, the term "phaeton" became so widely and loosely applied that almost any vehicle with two axles and a row or rows of seats across the body could be called a phaeton.[2]

1917 Hudson Phaeton
After 1912, American use of the term began to be most closely associated with the "triple phaeton" body configurations that had room for three ("rows" of) seats, whether all three were installed or not. Common usage further evolved to refer to a body with a rear seating area extended for added leg room or for an extra row of seating. This often gave the vehicle the appearance that it was meant to be chauffeur-operated.[citation needed] This also led to the term "phaeton" becoming similar to, and eventually interchangeable with, the term "touring car"

Decline and demise
1948 Willys-Overland Jeepster, the last phaeton to be made by an American manufacturer
The phaeton and the touring car were popular up to the 1930s, after which they were supplanted by the convertible, an open car which could be fully closed with windows in the doors. The Willys-Overland Jeepster was the last true phaeton produced by a major US automaker,[5] and was introduced ten years after the previous phaeton to be offered by an American manufacturer.[6]

In 1952, a year after Willys last offered the Jeepster, Chrysler built three Imperial Parade Phaetons for ceremonial use, one by New York City, one by Los Angeles, and one intended for the White House but ultimately used for events throughout the United States. These were dual-cowl phaetons custom-built on stretched Chrysler Crown Imperial Limousine chassis.

After open cars disappeared from the market, manufacturers used the term "phaeton" to describe cars that resembled the open phaeton or touring car.

Buick included a "convertible phaeton" body style in its line during the 1930s that was actually a four-door convertible, as the doors had windows in them and the car could be fully closed.[7][8]

During the 1956 model year, Mercury marketed the four-door hardtop versions of its Montclair and Monterey models as "phaetons."[9]

In 2004, Volkswagen introduced a vehicle with the name Phaeton, despite the car not resembling an open car in any way.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
burner31

The above was mostly for my education then anything...hope someone finds it interesting also.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote