Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 AM   #41
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fordcoupeman View Post

KULTULZ and dmsfrr..........thank you both for the info!! Hope this didnt sidetrack 56's request for help-I did not mean for it to hijack his thread.

56........guess this really means are there a dump truck load of interchangeable 302 parts and we both seem to have some. Good luck as I am sure you will figure this out!!!
No Problem!

How else to learn.

The SBF has more production history and interchange than the FYB and you see how confusing just that engine can be.

Seeing as how the builder gave no build information, the OP is going to have to go through a lot of ID to realize just what he has.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #42
dmsfrr

Default Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford56 View Post
. . . when I checked the oil, there wasn't any on the dipstick. ...
Quote:
. . .
56........guess this really means are there a dump truck load of interchangeable 302 parts and we both seem to have some. ...
I haven't had a 302 since the early 80's and I've never swapped one into a 50's Ford, so bear with me a moment...
Might the original oil pan on the 302 have been changed, rear sump to front sump? If so, the dipstick location would need to change as well. Was an oem or aftermarket oil pan used? Would the 'new' dipstick location be in the timing cover? How many types of these timing covers are there? Are they 100% compatible with the 'new' oil pan?

Given these assumed variables here's the actual question . . .

What are the chances the bottom end of the dipstick is being deflected by something and not even going down into the oil?

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-20-2018 at 12:57 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #43
Ford56

Quote:
Agree with Herman. Run something down there until you are sure it hits bottom and then compare to your chrome stick and to my measurements. You can use a different dipstick from your other vehicles too. I am thinking the tube and dipstick are the totally wrong set up. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Try using a clean piece of rigid wire that's long enough to reach the bottom of the pan then compare it to your dipstick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
I haven't had a 302 since the early 80's and I've never swapped one into a 50's Ford, so bear with me here...
Might the original oil pan on 302 have been changed, rear sump to front sump? If so, the dipstick location would need to change as well. Was an oem or aftermarket oil pan used? Would the 'new' dipstick location be in the timing cover? How many types of these timing covers are there? Are they 100% compatible with the 'new' oil pan?

Given these assumed variables here's the actual question...

What are the chances the bottom end of the dipstick is being deflected by something and not even going down into the oil?

I'm wondering if that is the issue here. When I get some time in the next couple of days, I'll run a white coat hanger wire down in there, and see where it marks the wire, and compare it to the shiny chrome replacement stick.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #44
40 Deluxe

No need to re-invent the wheel here! First, throw that chrome stick away and just go to a Pick-A-Part yard and get a couple original dipsticks from 302 Ford cars. Plug one in and mark the full line. Done!
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #45
50fordcoupeman

Didnt even know there a dipstick version going through the timing cover. Could well be 56's issue. I have a rear sump pan and my dipstick tube goes down to the pan right under #7 spark plug.

56.........front or rear sump pan? Could be your answer. :-)
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #46
estout81
BANNED

Ford 56,
If the engine has a front sump oil pan the dipstick should be in the timing chain cover. If the dipstick is on the side of the engine, toward the back, you will never see oil on the stick with a front sump pan. A '56 requires a front sump.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #47
5851a

Dipstick tube is press fit into timing cover. The timing covers can corrode around the water passages and most likely had cover swapped for a good one. Ford had many, many different timing covers on smallblocks. Front sump, mid sump rear sump. Dipsticks were in front cover, side of pan, or through the block. Best to look or have someone look in the Ford parts book or get one (makes excellent reading). Find out what oil pan you have and then look for dipstick tube and dipstick that matches pan. My version of 1972 parts book with reprint date May 1975 says. Pan is D0OZ-6675-C. Dipstick is D0AZ-6750-C 18.59" top of shield to Safe. 19.26" top of shield to Add. 20.86" top of shield to end. Dipstick tube D2OZ-6754-A Approx 12 1/4 long. Hope that helps.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #48
KULTULZ

Question Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
D0AZ-6750-C

Is the ENGINEERING PN shown in the text?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #49
Ford56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
No need to re-invent the wheel here! First, throw that chrome stick away and just go to a Pick-A-Part yard and get a couple original dipsticks from 302 Ford cars. Plug one in and mark the full line. Done!
You may be on to something. I don't have the car handy tonight, but I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I don't remember if the tube goes through the timing cover, as some have mentioned; but, where I do remember it being positioned is in the front of the valve cover on the passenger side.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #50
40 Deluxe

Quote:
but, where I do remember it being positioned is in the front of the valve cover on the passenger side.
That means the dipstick tube is in the timing cover. Which means the sump(the deepest part of the pan) is at the front of the engine. Forgot to mention to get a couple different length sticks. If one is too short and doesn't reach the oil, use a longer one and cut as needed.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #51
Anteek29

I took measurements on my '55 Vic with the 272 engine. The dipstick is located near the front of the valve cover on the passenger side and goes into the block.
Total length of the dipstick is 26", tube length is 15-1/2". Front sump.
No P/Nos appear on the dipstick.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #52
dmsfrr

Anteek29 - I thought of that too, but the car has a newer engine.
Quote:
So, today, I just received my new to me '56 Victoria. ... However, when I checked the oil, there wasn't any on the dipstick. Now the previous owner told me he just had it changed, and it was full. ...

... Yeah, I realized after I posted I should have mentioned it is a 302, from a 1972 Grand Turino. ...

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-21-2018 at 09:29 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 AM   #53
Motorhead6

Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it; should give the oil a red tint. If you put 5 qts in without changing the filter, it may be a qt too much. Yes, the '70 302 in a Mustang dip stick is on the front and there is an after market chrome dipstick and tube available.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #54
Ford56

Thumbs up Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post
Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in it; should give the oil a red tint. If you put 5 qts in without changing the filter, it may be a qt too much. Yes, the '70 302 in a Mustang dip stick is on the front and there is an after market chrome dipstick and tube available.
I like the idea of a red tint. As I've said, however, today, I'll get a white wire hanger down in there and see what that shows. I'll let y'all know. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #55
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Is the ENGINEERING PN shown in the text?
I will check Sunday when I'm back in the attic.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #56
KULTULZ

Talking Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

I will check Sunday when I'm back in the attic.
Appreciate It. No big deal, just wondering.

What do you do in the attic, HANG OUT?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #57
5851a

Went and looked and found no number, might be something to do with being a reprint from 1975. Oh and the attic, I try not to think about it. Been in the house 40 years. There was a listing for a chrome Boss 302 dipstick and it is about 1 1/2 inches shorter than plain 302. But that wouldn't have been sold by motorsport. Factory Ford dipsticks that are chromed the dipstick is not plated, only the handle.

Last edited by 5851a; 10-21-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #58
KULTULZ

Post Re: An oil dipstick dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Factory Ford dipsticks that are chromed the dipstick is not plated, only the handle.

Don't forget FORD MOTORSPORTS (sounds like what this one is).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #59
Ford56

Okay guys, I'm going to declare victory, and withdraw w/honor.

So, I tried the white wire coat hanger approach, which did allow me to verify that the shiny chrome one is going to the bottom of the oil pan. I didn't see any oil mark on the wire, however. But, taking yet another approach on the shiny chrome stick, and taking it out into the bright sunshine, and turning it over, and using super strong squinting, I believe I can see the faintest trace of a oil line on the stick. I mean, I really have to use my imagination, but, in so doing, I believe I can see something that could possibly be an oil line. I think........
Anyway, another contributing factor is that the oil is so clean, it doesn't leave a good dark colored line, like I'm used to seeing for the past 60 or so years. I'll just have to drive it and get the new oil circulating and get slightly discolored.

And now you know, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #60
40cpe

Wipe down the stick with your thumb and fore finger. That will tell you if there is oil on the stick
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote