Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #1

Default Champion Spark Plugs

Hey guys , just took out a set of Champion H10s from my 51 Ford and they were pretty sooted up. I don't take long trips. Should I be running a hotter plug? The motor is original with 90,000 miles and doesn't use any oil. The Champion chart calls for H11 but the manual calls for H10. Thanks in advance. Barry

Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 PM   #2

Default Re: Champion Spark Plugs

The best place for Champion spark plugs is in the trash. Get rid of them and use a good plug like Autolite 216's. You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #3

You need to take a nice long trip from time to time. It is good for what ails you, and the flathead.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #4

Trash the Champs and buy NGK B6L, the pros choice.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM   #5

Champions and Ford go together. Clean those suckers and put them back in. Get the old Ford out and run it. H-10 is a good plug.

Old 03-29-2005, 03:06 PM   #6

I used H10s in my last 47 with no problems despite others on this site saying they are a sh*t plug.

GB

Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 PM   #7

I still use H10 with no problems

Old 03-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #8

Ford tractors now use H 11 because of fouling problems.Champion has much bad press in farm papers .Plugs breaking off in cylinder heads and fouling.H10 Would not run in my tractor,switched to Autolite 216 no more trouble.Past reputation of companies means little now.

Old 03-30-2005, 01:43 AM   #9

Spark plugs get a lot of bad press blame when a "sooty" problem is usually caused by something else. Unless it's misfiring a plug is not the root cause soot. Change brands and chances are good nowdays that you'll also be getting a hotter plug.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:05 AM   #10

Default Re: Champion Spark Plugs Saga Continues

I picked up a new set of Champion H10s at NAPA and ordered a set of NGK B6Ls (didn't have in stock). I put the H10s in ,checked points etc., started. Ran ok except for a high speed skip after warmup. I'll change plugs again when the NGKs come in then check again. Could be a fuel problem who knows.

I'll take it a step at a time. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #11

Be carefull with them. I had one drop the center electrode. Luckily the flatty didn't like the taste and spat it out w/no damage.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #12

You're right. Past reputation of companies does mean little now.... just look at McDonalds and flak they have copped for "unhealthy food" ( and Ronalds McDonald is now also under investigation, since the Michael Jackson trial has started).

Back to plugs. This thread has been useful to me also. As I'm about to fire up my v8 soon, I will bear in mind the alternatives to the champions that came with the car.

GB

Old 03-30-2005, 03:15 PM   #13

This new gas causes the valves to stick and will give you a slight miss. Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel takes care of that in about 5 miles. I have had a lot of plug missing problems with Champions for the last 10 or 12 years. Tried severasl others that were a little better but have not had one problem with the NGKs. I just replaced a set of fairly new H-10s in a Lincoln V/12 this morning that had a slight miss and didn't idle as smooth as is should. Put in NGK B-4L plugs and it runs and idles perfect. I have also used 6-BL and they work good also. The NGK cat lists the B_4L as the correct 39 to 53 Ford plug and this is NGK stock number 3112. The NGK AB-6 stock number 2910 is the 1936 type plugs. I was a stonch Champion supporter for many years and don't like foreign parts but they never fixed their problem so what are you going to do? G.M.