Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
30modelA

Default people answering questions

can i ask you guys on here why when someone needs info or ask questions about their car some guys talk down to us newer younger guest on here? im 30 years old and im a rare breed to own an original model A, most ppl. my age just want to cut them up. we ask questions on here for help in preserving these master pieces, not to be made out as a dumbass. think back when you veterans had your first car, im pretty sure yall have asked a question or two. all i ask is remember what this forum is for. i know there were millions of T's and A's made, but eventually they will be gone. so just give respect to ppl. trying to save these beauties
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ford1

Default Re: people answering questions

ask any question you need to, and i will do my best to give you a straight answer, your only problem is that you are a little younger than most of us in here, BUT, you will grow out of that LOL LOL, and i hope im not one of the ones you feel are talking down to you, i never mean to do that
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

ask away. Bob
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
Steve Wastler

I think your missing one small thing, when you ask a question, in any public forum you will get many answers, opinions, and to some degree attitudes. While you may not like every answer or opinion you will get very informed answers. Take negativity with a grain of salt, it does not reflect the general consensus of the forum.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
BashawT

I've been a member on the forum for about a year now and I learned to use the search option to find the answer to my question before posting a new thread. However a lot of new members are not aware of this useful "search option" and they get hounded when they post a thread on a topic that's been covered 100 times.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Rex_A_Lott

I tell the new guys at work. " If you've got any feelings, leave em in the parking lot...if you bring em in here they're gonna get hurt"
Lot of knowledge here...sometimes you have to put up with a little crap to get it...sort of paying your dues.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

30modelA, i totally agree with you. Im 19 years old and YES "we" are a rare breed to own ORIGINAL model a's. and yeah someday they will be gone. I have already began trying to save some model a'ers from destroying these original beauties.

Cheers to another one trying to save the A's!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Greg Jones

One thing I have noticed is sometimes people post an answer in language that could be taken "snottily" but in one particular case I know that person and that is just how they talk, even when they are being nice. It's one of the problems with non-verbal communication. Many folks who post here have an enormous wealth of knowledge about the Model A-and this advice is pretty much free for the asking!! What a deal!! Another thing about old cars of any make, people form opinions on things like what oil to use, whitewalls, stone guards, thickness of pin stripe, etc.etc and will defend their position to the death, facts be damned. It's called old-fashioned hard-headedness. A lot of old-time Model A'ers remind me of the old Chiefs in the Navy I worked for. Meanest old bas**rds you will ever find, but once you get to know them they are your friend for life. You just have to take some comments with a grain of salt. For the most part, this forum is one of the most civilized on the Internet, bar none, except when the discussion turns political. And who wants to talk politics when there is Model A stuff to discuss?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Vanspeed

I am also a younger model a owner, I have three, a 29 coupe, 29 roadster, and 29 CCPU. I too get the shoulder some times but there are the guys that help us out. I am not ever going to be a fine points style guy, I just like them to look good and get me from point a to point b. I also have NO problem with taking a beat up old Model A and hot rodding it. I do get bummed when a fully restored car gets bought to turn into a rod but the two hobbies support one another. Stick in there, there are great guys and gals on this website that want to help. There are some bad apples who only seem to critisize (sp) but don't let it get you down. Also, glad to hear us young guns are keeping these old gals on the road.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
I tell the new guys at work. " If you've got any feelings, leave em in the parking lot...if you bring em in here they're gonna get hurt"
Lot of knowledge here...sometimes you have to put up with a little crap to get it...sort of paying your dues.
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Steve Wastler

I don't think you young guys are really that rare of a breed, just different timing. I bought my first A at 13 in 1981 (still have it, and two more). A lot of others got their first one at a young age as well. There will always be young people interested in original cars regardless of the year or make. You are just the next generation getting into original A's. When your my age, or the ages of some of these other geezers you'll be hearing the same thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Greg Jones

I should have pointed out that I too am of the young crowd, being a mere 55 years of age. Hang in there and kudos to you for saving another one!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
KGBnut

Yeah, you get those guys once in a while. Personally I find that the "Jerk to Helpful Mentor" Ratio here at the Fordbarn is definitely in the favor of us newbies. I learned pretty quickly what comments to ignore.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
30modelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
I am also a younger model a owner, I have three, a 29 coupe, 29 roadster, and 29 CCPU. I too get the shoulder some times but there are the guys that help us out. I am not ever going to be a fine points style guy, I just like them to look good and get me from point a to point b. I also have NO problem with taking a beat up old Model A and hot rodding it. I do get bummed when a fully restored car gets bought to turn into a rod but the two hobbies support one another. Stick in there, there are great guys and gals on this website that want to help. There are some bad apples who only seem to critisize (sp) but don't let it get you down. Also, glad to hear us young guns are keeping these old gals on the road.
im like you, i dont mind rodding out a unrestoreable car its the good ones i hate to see go. for the record i had a 28 ccpu rat rod. lol
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
700rpm

I am having trouble understanding your pique. This is one of the most courteous discussion sites I have ever been on. To understand how you might have somehow had a different experience, I just read ALL of your posts so far AND all the responses, and I didn't find a single answer that I thought was rude or demeaning. Certainly no one has talked down to you. And at the risk of seeming rude and demeaning, I think you are a little oversensitive. Sometimes a written answer can have an unintentional tone. Relax yourself and don't take things so personally or seriously.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30modelA View Post
paying my dues, are you serious! we shouldnt have to put up with anything to use this site.
Is it me or do I sense a little bit of attitude here? Lets see, free site free and really good info and advise from many fine people. Of course you will get the occasional troll with a wire up his a$$....still seems like a good deal though

Flame proof suit fully engaged in WV

dusty
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #17
Marco Tahtaras

Other than a few personality conflicts things are generally very smooth here. I've must say however the longer and colder winter gets the shorter the fuses get until the weather settles enough for folks to be outside!

With that said, there are a few "hot button" issues mostly due to their repetitiveness such as "what oil should I use" which surfaces at least 2-3 times a year. That would mean I've seen a new one surface about 45 times! However I began leaving that one for others to respond to about ten year ago.

I did look through several of your posts before responding here (including "oil"!) and saw some great responses and nothing that I would consider negative. Obviously I could have missed whatever struck a nerve with you.

If you choose to stick around (and I hope you do) you will find you're surrounded by a great group of folks that will do their best to be helpful as a hole. You will find some distinctive personalities that at times won't seem so "agreeable" (especially in mid winter ) but you will ether learn to understand them or ignore them!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Ghost of elmirage

I dont know as much as I would like to ,young guys cuz I have only been at this for about 35 or 36 years so bear with me, BUT I will DEFINATELY help you guys out when and if I can, Anything to keep this hobby going ya know? In the cyber world as with text messaging alot gets lost in translation so most people are not trying to be the assholes that they appear to be. Don't get me wrong this site and the HAMB has its share of douche bags but for the the most part the men and women on both sites are TOP NOTCH the D bags usually get weeded out sooner or later.The only thing the drives me up a wall is when someone uses the term RAT ROD HATE THAT FRIGGIN TERM. LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
modeleh

There are quite a few forum members in the age bracket of 20-40, you are not a rare breed. Don't take that the wrong way, I am always glad to see someone with their original color hair who is interested in the old stuff.
I have been on Fordbarn for about 5 years, never had a problem with anyone. The only negativity I ever got was when I supported a brief movement to modernize the old Fordbarn format to what we have today. Thankfully Ryan took control and I think most would agree this site just continues to get better.
FWIW, If you take the time to write a post with clear, concise meaning and use correct spelling and punctuation, it will be hard for people to judge your age. If you are lazy, and don't bother to capitalize words or use correct punctuation and spelling, people will think that you are a punk who learned how to type by using a cell phone, and their responses may be equally effortless. Garbage in, Garbage out.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Is it me or do I sense a little bit of attitude here? Lets see, free site free and really good info and advise from many fine people. Of course you will get the occasional troll with a wire up his a$$....still seems like a good deal though

Flame proof suit fully engaged in WV

dusty
Ho, ho..Dusty that's rich !
Mabe as a prerequisite to 'trolling' this mundane model a site...everybody has to send a year...nah, a week over on the Hokey Assed Message Board or whatever HAMB stands for ! Whew, I lasted one day..long time back
I find that ALL here, well mabe a couple exceptions, have wonderful
contributions, whether it's restoration skills/experiences/knowledge/mirth/parts/performance/whatever!
Difference is what makes this place enjoyable. Think ...of having to have an exchange with yourself and everyone being just like you..FUN,eh
A thicker skin may come with age, but you don't have to be aged to winnow the chafe from the grain.
Closed Thread