Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
harryc

Default wireless lower distributor plate

Just curious how many have used the wireless distributor plate and actually had it function for an extended time with no problem. I have had one for several years and have had to constantly fiddle with it to keep it functioning. I am going back to the wired type
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Curtis in MA

Default Re: wireless lower distributor plate

I put the modern wireless plate in. I only do about a thousand miles a year but have never had a problem.
What kind of problems have you had?
Curtis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
alexiskai

It's worked for me, but only after I installed an automatic spark advance device – in other words, after I stopped rotating the plates in relation to each other. I have a wired type ready to swap in if it goes on the fritz again.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
harryc

the spring action of the lower plate slowly weakens until the contact is no longer reliable
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
amodel25

I put one in mine in 1982. Same one, 30,000+ miles later, still working fine.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
wmws
BANNED

I have used the wireless plate for about 8000 miles with no problems. I did have to trim the little connector tab so it won't ground out on the upper plate. I have not noticed it waring a grove or any arcing on the lower plate.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
barnstuf

My maintenance log shows I put mine in place in 1992. No problems yet.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

There are two ways that the wireless lower distributor plates can be used .

The wireless lower plate when used with modern points requires the use of the modern plate adapter .

The adapter has been known to short out.

I don't recommend the use of modern points or anything to do with them.

I have used the wireless lower plate with original points and have never had a problem
When used with original style points , an acorn nut fits on the post of the points .

The acorn nut rubs against the brass contact ring on the wireless lower plate .

When the distributor is advanced or retarded , the brass acorn nut remains in contact
with the brass contact ring of the lower plate at all times .

This contact of the acorn nut and brass ring takes the place of the wire that WAS once used between the upper and lower plates .

There is spring pressure between the brass ring and the acorn nut .

The way that the brass ring is attached to the wireless lower plate gives spring like tension to hold the acorn nut against the brass ring for contact .

This setup has been fail safe for me .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #9
Tacoma Bob

No Issues with mine in 15 years. I see that there is now available a better designed copper tab. Last weekend I made up a new distributor as a backup and used the longer wire lower plate.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

I had Nurex wireless modern setup installed in 2012., Went back to original design. Nurex worked OK for awhile, then started getting stall at stop, poor low speed idle, motor missing under heavy load going up hills from a full stop. After going back with original plates issues were gone, problems have not returned. While troubleshooting tried different condenser, different distributor lead, different cap, different dist. body, different carb, different points, different coil, different plugs, etc., etc. Finally went back to original plates to fix it.

My theory is the wireless contact between the plates degraded (resistive), and when the rpms were lower the generator allowed voltage to drop to a loaded battery voltage, and the poor contact in the plates gave me poor spark.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

As long as the battery has some charge , the engine will continue to run whether the generator is charging at all or not

I've used the wireless lower plate on some of my model A's for nearly 25 years with excellent service ..
Old 10-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
divcoone

The only problems I had was very damp conditions like a over night rain. Quick wipe and engine heat took over.
divcoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Bob Bidonde

I actually wore out a wireless plate. The acorn nut wore through the brass plate. My guess is it failed after 25,000 miles.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Twenty five thousand miles says a lot for the wireless lower distributor plate .

I really like the wireless lower plate and feel that its the easiest and best way to go .
Old 10-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Nurex worked OK for awhile, then started getting stall at stop, poor low speed idle, motor missing under heavy load going up hills from a full stop. After going back with original plates issues were gone, problems have not returned.
Man, the sheer number of things that have been linked to instability at idle or stopping boggles the mind. You think idle is just the engine doing its thing, easy to achieve, but no, turns out idle is like the engine operating at the absolute edge of its capabilities, just barely functioning. God help you if a grain of sand gets wedged in the wrong place.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Man, the sheer number of things that have been linked to instability at idle or stopping boggles the mind. You think idle is just the engine doing its thing, easy to achieve, but no, turns out idle is like the engine operating at the absolute edge of its capabilities, just barely functioning. God help you if a grain of sand gets wedged in the wrong place.
From what others said, typically stall at stop is usually attributed to Carb. I was stuck on and off for weeks thinking carb issue. After I tried a known good carb (worked great on another club member's car and still had the problems, I started looking at the electrical/ignition. Started swapping out stuff with parts I had on hand. Finally asked around and also checked some forums, and a couple of different sources told me to switch back to original plates. Was told that sometimes the connection between the 2 plates wears/corrodes, or gets dirty, and does not give a good contact. This due to the large "horseshoe" contact moving every time you move the spark adjust.

I do believe that some or a majority using wireless plates have not experienced this. It is just another random low occurrence issue that can crop up, frustrating to troubleshoot if you do not know it is a possibility.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote