Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Nlbloch

Default Engine diagnosis?

I would appreciate some guidance on where to start looking for my problem.

Brought the car out of winter storage with no issues. Drove car for several hours without issues.

Today, the engine started normally but stalled after just a few minutes. Tried several times with throttle in different positions, spark advance down slightly, choke open, (yes, gas line valve open!) but same problem. Eventually, engine would not catch at all -- perhaps flooded.

Where would you recommend to start looking for issues that need resolution?

Thanks in advance
Nlbloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #2
Humperhill

Default Re: Engine diagnosis?

First off don't start messing with anything you haven't changed. Like the timing. I would start with making sure fuel is getting to the cylinders. Start with easiest first. Is their sufficient fuel in the tank? Is gas making it to the carb? After cranking it, are the plugs wet? If so, next check for spark at each cylinder. If one or some are getting spark then you can narrow it down to the cap or plug wires or plugs. If no or weak spark to all the cylinders then start looking at your points, condenser and related wiring. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Humperhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Don’t forget to loosen the gas cap.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
noboD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperhill View Post
First off don't start messing with anything you haven't changed. Like the timing. I would start with making sure fuel is getting to the cylinders. Start with easiest first. Is their sufficient fuel in the tank? Is gas making it to the carb? After cranking it, are the plugs wet? If so, next check for spark at each cylinder. If one or some are getting spark then you can narrow it down to the cap or plug wires or plugs. If no or weak spark to all the cylinders then start looking at your points, condenser and related wiring. Good luck and let us know what you find.
And FRESH gas.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

Disconnect the gas line at the carb and turn on the gas, you should be able to get a quart out fairly quickly with a strong flow. You may just have some crud in the tank or filter causing fuel starvation. Do you have a air filter?? You can tell if it’s fuel or electric pretty easy with a small shot of ether. Don’t over do it Are your plugs wet after this happens.? It sounds like a fuel problem to me.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #6
Sunnybrook Farm

The quickest thing to check would be to look at the points and make sure they are opening and look clean. Next I would suspect something related, so I would unscrew the fuel line at the carb and see if it runs out when shut off is opened. Popout switch?
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
larrys40

The 3 things it takes to make an engine run are compression, fuel and spark. I’m sure you have compression as long as the engine sounds like it cranks normal so as sunnybrook said check for spark.

Take the high tension lead from distributor cap with ignition on and hold lead with a slight gap from ahead nut and have someone crank engine to see if spark is firing. If so that is good. If not clean points with Light sandpaper and retry.

Fuel, - assuming spark is good but still no start - crank engine and pull Choke for a few revolutions . The other posts above want you to pull the fuel line but I want to know if it’s really getting into the carb and throttle plate. After you choke it liberally go check carb at choke plate and put a finger or two in at the carb air intake -choke plate and see if carb is wet or dry. If dry re-choke and retry, if wet you are getting fuel. If wet and you have spark it should run. If no fuel at throttle plate pull the carb drain plug loose a few turns to see if you have fuel leaking. If so retighten . Fuel is getting to carb and verified. If no fuel your float may be stuck. Take small hammer and tap at side fuel filter on right side of carb- retry to see if fuel is flowing.
Sitting all winter with today’s fuel it is highly probable that the fuel gelled a little and clogged the top of the main and cap jet at the carb throat. You will have to remove carb and remove carb top to verify this. With fuel in the bowl and tilted bowl end higher you should see fuel bubbling up both jets. If not they may be clogged. Correct if clogged,
Today’s fuels can clog jets in a few months sometimes. Have had this a number of times for cars I’ve worked on after sittings.
Keep us posted.
Larry shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 05-15-2020 at 03:24 AM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:31 AM   #8
Patrick L.

First things first. What Larry said. Let us know if the problem is fire or fuel/
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
marty in Ohio

I've heard it said on Ford Barn that many fuel problems are electrical.
Go figure.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #10
Will N

Had a similar problem this year. The points needed to be cleaned with a points file.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=larrys40;1887746

Take the high tension lead from distributor cap with ignition on and hold lead with a slight gap from ahead nut and have someone crank engine to see if spark is firing. If so that is good. If not clean points with Light sandpaper and retry.
Larry shepard[/QUOTE]

Just a couple of comments on this for people who do not know better. If holding a high tension lead, use something well insulated to hold the lead. Personal experience when I was young in high school, used a pair of old pliers and got shocked good (lol) This provided a lot of laughter from my auto shop teacher and fellow students. Was nicknamed Sparky for quite some time. An alternate method is to take a lead off a spark plug and space it a little from the plug. Do not have to hold the lead that way.

Also can do this without another person by using the starter rod in the engine bay with the ignition on to turn over the motor.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
abachman3

A quick clean of the points is to have the points in a closed position, key OFF. with a finger, open the points and place a clean piece of paperboard (matchbook, if you have one) between the points, letting go of points and draw the paper up through the points. Do this several times. It has worked for me and others locally when the car just won't start but has been running successfully recently.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
Nlbloch

Thanks! Will try over the weekend and report back
Nlbloch is offline   Reply With Quote