Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #1
Tom Endy
Senior Member
 
Tom Endy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,765
Default wind wings

Is there a supplier in the Model A kingdom that supplies custom etched wind wings for closed cars?

My grandson, who is 15 years old, has a 1930 Tudor that we are in the process of restoring. It came with some very nice etched glass wind wings that have flowers etched into the glass. He doesn't think flowers are cool. We want to replace them with something of his choice. There must be a custom etched glass supplier of Model A wind wings out there somewhere.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
springerpete
Senior Member
 
springerpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 549
Default Re: wind wings

Get some plane ones and take them to a place that sells grave stones as they do custom etching on the stones all the time. Have your grandson come up with a design he likes. Most grave stone folks are very clever with both design and etching on glass. Bill
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
Brian SATX
Senior Member
 
Brian SATX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 708
Default Re: wind wings

Check and find someone that does glass replacement- not a big place but someone lccal. They can probably do it or know someone that can.
__________________
Brian SATX
Brian SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Bob from Northport
Senior Member
 
Bob from Northport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 215 E. 6th Street Northport, Michigan 49670
Posts: 631
Default Re: wind wings

Tom,
If you have a stained glass supplier in your area, or a studio, check with them. I have done stained glass for years, and have seen studios that do glass etching and design. Some really spectacular stuff.
__________________
Bob from Northport
Northport, Michigan
Bob from Northport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 10,211
Default Re: wind wings

I do it myself. Several ways to do it. The way I do it is choose the pattern/design I want and lay it out on a graphics program. (-simple is your friend in this) I use heavy shelf vinyl that has the sticky back. I don't care about the pattern that is printed on it but I do like the non-textured type best as it sticks to itself better IMO. This is sold at WalMart.

Apply two layers of the vinyl onto the glass. Print the pattern/design off onto regular white paper and use 3M Super 77 adhesive to affix it onto the vinyl. Use an Exacto Knife and cut on the lines of the design and peel to expose the glass surface. When completed, you should see the facsimile of the design/pattern by holding the glass up to the light. If you see any defects or ragged edges showing thru, now is the time to correct it.

Next, it is time to etch. You/I basically have 3 options depending the texture I am wanting. I save worn-out aluminum oxide from my blasting cabinet, so I put the worn out media back in and lightly blast the glass. This gives the frosted look. I also have an air-powered eraser that came from Harbor Freight. I think these are less that $25. These are very controllable and make a very crisp edge and a smooth texture. Also, I use a glass etching acid that I get from my local arts supply store. I also use this acid to etch the windshields and door glass putting the Triplex logos on. If you want to be creative, you can do three different textures by starting with the acid. Once that area is finished, apply a layer of heavy masking tape over the etched area exposing the unetched areas. Use the air eraser to do the rest, and then tape over the area you want protected. Then use the blasting cabinet media to add the heavy texturing.


Now I may have a 4th way soon as we are building a CNC laser now. I will use mine for logoing Model-A glass, and for cutting fabric and panelboard in my upholstery shop. If you don't want to build one of those, then your local trophy shop likely has a laser they use for trophies and glass objects. The laser will be much more detailed however I doubt it will be able to give the textured look like the different grades of media will.

Good luck and cherish the time with your grandson. Now IF you want to be a 'hit' with your grandson, buy him a 3D Printed CNC and add a 20w laser. The price for building these kits are cheap. The uses you will find for around your Model-A shop will be amazing. All your tools can now have your logo or initials on them. Jigs and fixtures can be etched with the tool name and set-up instructions etched onto the metal. Holiday cards can be custom made on paper, -and making special little gifts etched on wood saves your hide at 11PM the night before your significant other's birthday or anniversary. Think of the money you will save on Christmas gifts by engraving custom knives or utensils for your buddies. The list just keeps going on what these things can do!!
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
old31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: wind wings

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Tom my wife and I did our own and they came out great. At shows we get a lot of positive comments.

She bought some stencils at Hobby Lobby and some glass etching crème on line.

Very carefully cover and mask what you don't want etched. Just touching the creme to the glass will make a mark.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 10,211
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Tom my wife and I did our own and they came out great. At shows we get a lot of positive comments.

She bought some stencils at Hobby Lobby and some glass etching crème on line.

Very carefully cover and mask what you don't want etched. Just touching the creme to the glass will make a mark.
By chance, did you use the same thing that I have linked above in my post #5, -or did you use something else? If something else, do you remember the name of the product??
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #8
Tom Endy
Senior Member
 
Tom Endy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,765
Default Re: wind wings

Many thanks to those that responded. Some very good suggestions here.

It appears the etched glass wind wings on the market are made by A&L and in only one pattern. Bratton's and Mac's carry them.

What we will probably do is purchase the plain ones and either have them etched or try to do it ourselves. I have a bead blaster and if we can find a suitable pattern it might be a good project for a 15-year old.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
Tacoma Bob
Senior Member
 
Tacoma Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 973
Default Re: wind wings

Forgive me as I don't have contact info but there was someone in California that did actual glass engraving.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 10,211
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Bob View Post
Forgive me as I don't have contact info but there was someone in California that did actual glass engraving.
Bob, there is ight & day difference between Cut Glass and Etched Glass. Cut glass that I wave watched was done using leather wheels spinning with a paste aggregate where the glass was cut by layers. Glass Etching was done using a media to just frost the glass. Cut glass equals $$!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Many thanks to those that responded. Some very good suggestions here.

It appears the etched glass wind wings on the market are made by A&L and in only one pattern. Bratton's and Mac's carry them.

What we will probably do is purchase the plain ones and either have them etched or try to do it ourselves. I have a bead blaster and if we can find a suitable pattern it might be a good project for a 15-year old.

Tom Endy
Tom, in all honestly, your grandson's initials with maybe a little shadowing around the letters likely will be plenty.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ
Senior Member
 
Kurt in NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: on the Littlefield
Posts: 5,531
Default Re: wind wings

A place that makes vinyl sign letters can make you a mask, then glass bead or sandblast

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 03-01-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #12
Tacoma Bob
Senior Member
 
Tacoma Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 973
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bob, there is ight & day difference between Cut Glass and Etched Glass. Cut glass that I wave watched was done using leather wheels spinning with a paste aggregate where the glass was cut by layers. Glass Etching was done using a media to just frost the glass. Cut glass equals $$!





Tom, in all honestly, your grandson's initials with maybe a little shadowing around the letters likely will be plenty.
Yup. Totally agree. A true art form. As I recall jewelers had this ability back in the day. I think the person I'm thinking of was a lady somewhere on the California coast.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:38 AM   #13
PotvinV8
Member
 
PotvinV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 87
Default Re: wind wings

Tom,

Are these the style wind wings you're looking for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windwing.jpg (36.2 KB, 50 views)
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #14
McMimmcs
Senior Member
 
McMimmcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,604
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Is there a supplier in the Model A kingdom that supplies custom etched wind wings for closed cars?

My grandson, who is 15 years old, has a 1930 Tudor that we are in the process of restoring. It came with some very nice etched glass wind wings that have flowers etched into the glass. He doesn't think flowers are cool. We want to replace them with something of his choice. There must be a custom etched glass supplier of Model A wind wings out there somewhere.

Tom Endy
Any grandpa that helps his 15 year old grandson restore a Model A is a great person in my opinion. Congratulations
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #15
old31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,613
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
By chance, did you use the same thing that I have linked above in my post #5, -or did you use something else? If something else, do you remember the name of the product??
Brent, that is exactly the product that we used.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #16
McMimmcs
Senior Member
 
McMimmcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,604
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
Get some plane ones and take them to a place that sells grave stones as they do custom etching on the stones all the time. Have your grandson come up with a design he likes. Most grave stone folks are very clever with both design and etching on glass. Bill
If you don’t want to do it yourself this is a great idea.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
ronn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,493
Default Re: wind wings

Brent,
really enjoyed your tutorial. thanks for taking the time to explain the process.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #18
JayJay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 278
Default Re: wind wings

I don't know exactly the product that Brent and old31 are talking about, but most glass etching solutions have some content of hydrofluoric acid because this is about the only chemical that will touch silica (what glass is - fused silica). This is VERY nasty stuff. Not only is it locally corrosive, like any strong acid, but the HF is absorbed across the skin and attacks bone once in the body. Be VERY careful with this stuff. Don't even think about using it without the gloves that should be specified on the label (the videos on Amazon that Brent linked to show the artist using it bare-handed, very very bad idea!). If there isn't safety information on the container (and note, many "art" products don't have the safety information that we're generally used to in commercial products) then look up a Safety Data Sheet for the product or for "hydrofluoric acid" on the web.

And I agree - what a great thing to help your grandson on his project, Tom. That's the stuff that memories are made from. My grandson is only two so I suspect when he gets to that point I may not have the ability to help him like that, but I can hope.

JayJay
__________________
JayJay
San Francisco Bay Area

------------------------
1930 Closed Cab Pickup
1930 Murray Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-04-2021 at 11:11 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 10,211
Default Re: wind wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
I don't know exactly the product that Brent and old31 are talking about, but most glass etching solutions have some content of hydrofluoric acid because this is about the only chemical that will touch silica (what glass is - fused silica). This is VERY nasty stuff. Not only is it locally corrosive, like any strong acid, but the HF is absorbed across the skin and attacks bone once in the body. Be VERY careful with this stuff. Don't even think about using it without the gloves that should be specified on the label (the videos on Amazon that Brent linked to show the artist using it bare-handed, very very bad idea!). If there isn't safety information on the container (and note, many "art" products don't have the safety information that we're generally used to in commercial products) then look up a Safety Data Sheet for the product or for "hydrofluoric acid" on the web.

I guess this boils down to just like some guys don't need to wash their hands after they pee because they are not messy. Others, well they need protection and ...




Ironically safety information is no longer on product labels. Matter of fact, we are no longer required to have notebooks with MSDS sheets (-now called SDS) as long as the employee has access to the internet either via a computer work station or a smart phone. When they do, the onus is on them to look up the SDS for a product they are using.

As far as the product that we have used, I can tell you it is mild on your skin, -although the use of proper PPE is never a bad thing. As far as the specific SDS on this product, you can see the content HERE.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.