Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
oriondal
Junior Member
 
oriondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Default Oil pan tube

I recently replaced my timing gear and in the process cleaned the oil pan. In the bottom of the pan I found a copper tube, about 3 inches long that appears to have broken off the back of the oil sump. It's not part of the oil pump, but looks like it might have been a pickup of some kind.
What is this tube?
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
George Miller
Senior Member
 
George Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,975
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondal View Post
I recently replaced my timing gear and in the process cleaned the oil pan. In the bottom of the pan I found a copper tube, about 3 inches long that appears to have broken off the back of the oil sump. It's not part of the oil pump, but looks like it might have been a pickup of some kind.
What is this tube?

It probable is the drain tube out of the rear main. Depending on the year they were 1/4 for early fords and 5/16 dia for the later ones. Originals were steel.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Joe K
Senior Member
 
Joe K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cow Hampshire
Posts: 3,615
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Inquiring minds want to know.

Have you noticed any increase in the oil leaking out the rear main?

Mind you this is for informational sake. An unbiased answer is requested.

Joe K
__________________
Shudda kept the horse.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Russell in Tulsa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tulsa Oklahoma
Posts: 298
Default Re: Oil pan tube

I agree with George miller, if the pan is still off check the rear main cap and you will probably find a hole that the tube fell out of.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
James Rogers
Senior Member
 
James Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Asheville,NC
Posts: 3,101
Default Re: Oil pan tube

George is correct that it is the tube from the rear main. Your engine will probably leak a lot from the rear when you park it and this is why. George missed the size though, the early tube is 5/16" and the later is 3/8".
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
Bob C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,476
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Does it look like this?

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A6328A-6985-xl.jpg (61.3 KB, 8 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Brian T
Senior Member
 
Brian T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego,Ca
Posts: 1,372
Default Re: Oil pan tube

The drainage tube was missing in my engine, it had not been reinstalled by the last person in there, some believe the rear main will drain better without it, this is apparently utter BS the engine leaked like a sieve when driving and would fill up a rear main janitor in no time regardless of a reasonably good rear main and minor blowby.

What with the crankshaft windage and crankcase pressure the tube will shield the hole from these effects, and being submerged below the surface of the oil there I also a slight negative pressure in the tube caused by the oil flowing past it to the oil pump, apparently that why they only dribble after shut down
__________________
Nothing can be made foolproof, ---- fools are ingenious bastards.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
oriondal
Junior Member
 
oriondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Does it look like this?

Bob
It looks very much like that except that it appears to be copper and was brazed on instead of threaded. It doesn't seem to leak at all when parked, but has been when driving. I've been thinking the leak was from the rope gasket around the crankshaft which I replaced when I changed the timing gear. The pan is back on so I guess I'll need to remove it and try to reattach the tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube.jpg (14.5 KB, 21 views)
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Joe K
Senior Member
 
Joe K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cow Hampshire
Posts: 3,615
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Quote:
What with the crankshaft windage and crankcase pressure the tube will shield the hole from these effects, and being submerged below the surface of the oil there I also a slight negative pressure in the tube caused by the oil flowing past it to the oil pump, apparently that why they only dribble after shut down
Thank you. That is the first cogent reason I have heard that the tube - or it's absence - should make any difference.

There is a fair amount of windage in the crankcase. One has only to take the cap off while the engine is running to confirm this.

I may have been lucky (it has happened) that mine never leaked even minus the tube.

And it will be interesting to hear your comparison when your tube is restored.

Joe K
__________________
Shudda kept the horse.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Bob C
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,476
Default Re: Oil pan tube

I would not reuse that tube, it should be threaded and then
tack welded to the main bearing cap.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
Brian T
Senior Member
 
Brian T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego,Ca
Posts: 1,372
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Before installing my missing tube, there was a few things I had learnt here on the Barn, was to make sure the tube did not thread to far up into the bearing cap, I carefully cleaned the threads as at sometime it had been tack welded, (pipe tap, cant remember the size)
I measured the depth of the hole, it was obvious it wasn't going to bottom out when refitted, in addition I filed a small vee grove facing rearward to allow a little more drainage, added a little JB weld to the threads to lock it in place.
After a 5 mile road test I was happy not seeing the trail of oil where I had been.
__________________
Nothing can be made foolproof, ---- fools are ingenious bastards.
Brian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
oriondal
Junior Member
 
oriondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Oil pan tube

The engine does leak oil like a sieve when running. At speed it coats the everything under the cowl, but at idle or shut down, I don't notice any more leaking so it sounds like the tube is the culprit? Now that I've learned what to look for, I see the tube is threaded and was tack welded. I don't know how, but I might have knocked it off when I removed the pan, as it wasn't leaking at all before.I've ordered a new tube and will install it as soon as I get the chance.
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
Fred K-OR
Senior Member
 
Fred K-OR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stayton, Oregon
Posts: 3,793
Default Re: Oil pan tube

If the hole were it screws in the rear main bearing cap is mess up you may need to weld it like mentioned above or you may need to get another rear main bearing cap. Yes it is easy to knock it off when you take the pan off when you are not expecting something like this.
__________________
Fred Kroon
1929 Std Coupe
1929 Huckster
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
George Miller
Senior Member
 
George Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 2,975
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondal View Post
The engine does leak oil like a sieve when running. At speed it coats the everything under the cowl, but at idle or shut down, I don't notice any more leaking so it sounds like the tube is the culprit? Now that I've learned what to look for, I see the tube is threaded and was tack welded. I don't know how, but I might have knocked it off when I removed the pan, as it wasn't leaking at all before.I've ordered a new tube and will install it as soon as I get the chance.

You still might have a leak at the rope seal. How did you install it. They do not leak if done right. But a lot of people have trouble with them. I grew up working one rope seals front and back. Most all the older cars had rope seals. Buick was one of the last to stop using them.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
James Rogers
Senior Member
 
James Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Asheville,NC
Posts: 3,101
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Before installing my missing tube, there was a few things I had learnt here on the Barn, was to make sure the tube did not thread to far up into the bearing cap, I carefully cleaned the threads as at sometime it had been tack welded, (pipe tap, cant remember the size)
I measured the depth of the hole, it was obvious it wasn't going to bottom out when refitted, in addition I filed a small vee grove facing rearward to allow a little more drainage, added a little JB weld to the threads to lock it in place.
After a 5 mile road test I was happy not seeing the trail of oil where I had been.
It is a standard us tap and the thread is a 3/8-32. An unusual size thread but very available.
This is for the large tube. I believe the small tube is the same thread but at 5/16-32.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
oriondal
Junior Member
 
oriondal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Default Re: Oil pan tube

Thanks all, I hope to get at it next week and will post the results.
This was my first experience with a rope seal, and I just pressed it in place and trimmed to a fit similar to the one I removed. Probably would have been better off leaving the old one in as it seemed to be doing the job. In the end, I'll I guess I'll wind up learning how to do it properly which is what I'm looking for.
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.