Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Bigjohnson

Default 35 pu

Hay fellas seeking knowledge i installed a 39convert complete colum box an mounting plate in my truck it to long how much do you cut off
Bigjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: 35 pu

The steering gears and column from a '39 should have been a direct swap into your '35. I put a '40 column and gears in my '36 in 1955 using the '40 frame mount and a '40 pitman arm.. My car has a column shift trans so I was able to use the shifting levers, rods etc.
I understand that your question was relative to a pickup, my response was relative to a car, the point is that they are basically the same vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry.3.jpg (68.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
oldandtired

The 35 pickup does not have the key mechanism and column mount in the same location as the passenger car for the same year so the steering column tubes do not interchange from passenger car to pickup in 1935 without modifying the tube. That may be the same with the 39...not having the correct distance from the mount to the steering wheel. The 1939 column drop/key mechanism is significantly different from the 35 column drop and key mechanism. The 35 pickup and passenger car steering box mounting plate on the frame is not the same bolt pattern as the 39.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
blucar

I don't understand what the problem is with a '39 column in a 35. I have done three of these swaps in years in years agone by, my '36 coupe, my brothers '36 pickup and a '37 pickup that I built in the mid '60's.
I used column shift columns with the '40 column drop because of the transmissions I used. I did have a little problem with the bolts for the column drop aligning with the dash, solved that problem by loosening the column drop and sliding it on the tube about a quarter inch. Had to remove the lock collar on the steering shaft.. ( don't need that anyway, it is just a problem item.)
I bent the lower edge of the dash about one quarter inch with an adjustable wrench which allowed the bolts to clear into the column drop.
The tube did not require any cutting, the fit was perfect. The trans shift levers cleared the firewall perfectly, just as if Henry Ford had intended it to be that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Frd Columb Cntrl.2.jpg (69.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
oldandtired

There is around a 6 inch, maybe more, difference in the location of the 35 pickup column drop/switch/key and the 35 passenger car. The pickup is significantly closer to the steering wheel. The 39 steering column tube had its own 91C part number.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandtired View Post
There is around a 6 inch, maybe more, difference in the location of the 35 pickup column drop/switch/key and the 35 passenger car. The pickup is significantly closer to the steering wheel. The 39 steering column tube had its own 91C part number.
If that is the case, I think it would be easier to modify the hole location for the key/drop mount than to change the length of the tube itself.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
v8fordman

Here is the difference in the hole location in a pickup steering tube and a passenger car tube. Pickup is on the left and passenger car on the right.
Oldandtired is absolutely correct and you would have to modify a passenger car tube by moving the two holes, change the location of the locking sleeve on the steering shaft which would allow a change in the location of the column drop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube 1.jpg (42.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg tube2.jpg (39.7 KB, 20 views)
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote