Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #41
Pilotdave

Default Re: Help a Newbie thinking about buying a 1929 Model A

Matt, I would try to understand why your wife wants a sedan. We went the Tudor route because we wanted to have space to take friends, grandkids, etc, to the local ice cream store. And we KNOW that our kids won't let us take their kids in a rumble seat. So that drove our decision on body type. That said, it looks like a wonderful project to me!!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #42
Ed Saniewski

Newshirt, it took me about a year to complete the car. But we drove the frame around the neighborhood for about four of those months with a seat from a minivan on a piece of plywood. Boy did that get my neighbors out of their houses. I did not know how to stop the engine from backfiring.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #43
Mary Tribbett

Many have suggested joining a chapter to receive help. MARC has more regions in your area. If any of these towns are nearby let me know and I can send you contact addresses:Alger,Traverse City,Battle Creek,Grosse Ile,Grand Haven,Royal Oak,Monroe,Grand Rapids,Galien,Pickney, Lansing,Marion,Livonia,Muskegon, West Bloomfield,Flint,Blissfield, Alpena. MAFCA has two chapters in the following cities: Muskegon(same as MARC) and Ishpeming(Hosting the MAFCA 2012 Convention).
Mary
Mary Tribbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #44
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 15 when i got my first 1929 Town Sedan. This was in 1970 didn't have the books got now I did it you can to, and you will injoy it. Iam on my 6th Model A or AA's, once you get it your hooked for life. Matt mine was in baskets and boxes you name it with no writing on them. Figure out on my own. I wired the body to the frame just so I could get it home. I have a saying. A Model A or AA is your girlfriend or wife, you get her because you like her. She's good looking, she don't talk back to you, she lisens every time you talk to her. The money she cost you have something to show for it. As you work on her she grows on you. Iam on disability and I am restoring the avator you see. It coming apart and fixed, then put together to have fun with not argue with.

Last edited by gunmetal blue; 02-02-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Can't say enogh....
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #45
Chris in WNC

"another $10-15,000 to get it back together correctly."

Kelly is correct in his cost estimate IF you want a show-quality new paint job and the engine is toast.
a lot less if neither is the case.

the paint in the photo looks plenty good for ME to drive around and the expensive chrome plating is done.
brakes & steering will eat up another $1000 or more unless they are already done right (always assume they are not).
4 Goodyear blackwalls = $600+
rebuilt shocks = $400+

looks like a deal from here.

Coupes and Fordor sedans are both fun, you will want one of both.
Keep the trunk or convert the rumble on the Coupe, you'll like it.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote