Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
GaryU.

Default Think it will fit in a '39 pickup?

Just kidding of course.I have a customer that brings in auto parts etc. from time to time over the years.About myself,I work in a music store repairing brass wind instruments(trumpets to tubas).The first parts were early 50's Mercury radiator tops,the ones that were leaned on,dented or bent up.We have a burnishing tool similar to an english wheel that worked great on those so he kept bringing in items but his taste grew older.Next it was parts from a 1926 BMW racer(oil pan&some other parts).Lately he been bringing in ship lights,all brass&nickel for dents,polishing&lacquering.Yesterday he brought in this item,a pre WWI radiator from a Dahlaney(guess on spelling)built in France.He said the seller told him there were 2 small leaks,found a crack in side after filling partially with water and then found water pouring out when almost full.The leak
is so bad I called him to pick it up,needs more repair then I know how to do(recore?).Anyway thought it was cool enough to post as it not everyday you see something like this.
GaryU. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Think it will fit in a '39 pickup?

An old friend of mine used to work for Bill Harrah in his museum restoration shop back in the day. He used to specialize in Stanley Steamer boilers and they also reproduced quite a few honey comb type radiators and oil coolers. Most all of that stuff was a combination of brass & copper. As you know, the stuff works better for its softness and solders pretty well too. My friend told me those honeycomb jobs were a learning curve for him but weren't too bad to reproduce after they got the equipment to work with them. I think he mentioned tha Mr Harrah bought the equipment from the family of a person that used to manufacture them back not long after the turn of the last century. They were works of art but took a lot of polishing to keep them looking that way. That honey comb core material is really thin.

Here is a link to a firm that reproduces these things. It's really quite interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxt6EN-39Ck

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
jimTN

Here is an outfit in PA that built and put a core in my 29 Packard rad. and was quite reasonable. Universal Caranige 800-867-9554. It was a honeycomb job and when I called Brassworks, I would have had to take out a bank loan!
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
GaryU.

He told me he knew where to get the needed repairs but said it was going to be costly but I'll pass on the extra info.One other thing he wanted me to do was polish it up before he had the other work done but I know with the extensive work to make it right it was pointless.He said how much he paid and for that amount you could get a flathead close to being completely rebuilt!He'll be bringing more items in soon I'm sure and if warrants it I'll post some more. Gary
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
VeryTangled

Really neat, thanks for posting. Maybe it's from a Delahaye, but they are from Tours FR, and Toulouse is hundreds of miles away! It looks really old, like '04 or '06. Sorta like it could have been on Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang!

-VT/Jeff
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Bob NH

How many Bee's were working on that thing and how much "Honey" did it yield when warmed up ?
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
rotorwrench

A lot of airplanes from that era had coolant radiators but most had a through hole for the crankshaft since they were just behind the prop. Some airplanes had oil coolers too. That thing looks more like an oil cooler than an engine coolant radiator. The French made some different shaped cars way back then but that isn't the norm for automotive use. It may have been for a stationary powerplant or who knows what. The shape of the tank soesn't look like it would have a good flow from top to bottom. That's why I think it may have been for some other purpose.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
GaryU.

http://www.google.com/search?q=delau...ih=712#imgrc=_
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
GaryU.

Did a search for images and found lots!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Proof is in the pudding. The French auto manufacturers definitely worked outside the box compared to most other country's manufacturers. They must have baffles to direct the flow inside there. It makes me wonder if the Delaunay used a water pump or if it was a percolator like the model Ts. The design had an artistic look to it but whether it worked well or not may be another story.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
The Brassworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
Here is an outfit in PA that built and put a core in my 29 Packard rad. and was quite reasonable. Universal Caranige 800-867-9554. It was a honeycomb job and when I called Brassworks, I would have had to take out a bank loan!
Sounds like you bought heater core material. If that is what you wanted in a Packard then yes, it would have been far cheaper to do that.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote