Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
FatFndr

Default 1939 Ford Package Tray Question

I am trying to build the package tray for a 1939 Ford Coupe and have a reference 1940 Coupe for comparison. The wooden piece for 1940 Ford package tray fits in place nicely (it's an original). With the package tray installed, it is 1" short of covering the middle wooden piece and 2 7/8" short on each side. Since the reference car and my car are both in pieces, neither the owner nor I know what fills this gap. What information am I missing to complete this part of my build?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-18_10-44-51_717.jpg (51.7 KB, 182 views)
FatFndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 1939 Ford Package Tray Question

That seems odd as the wooden package tray is a one piece item that fits snug as a bug in a rug. could you make a cardboard template and then make a new piece of "tray wood"? Look at this.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ge+tray&page=2
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
FatFndr

I have already made the cardboard template, the problem is the template, which was based on an original piece, is to short (in my opinion) therein causing a lot of head scratching. As mentioned, the template AND the original are both 1" short of the middle wood brace and 2 7/8" short on the sides. I could just extend my new piece to fit but I would prefer to know what was there originally. The reference 1940 Coupe has the same problem and he wants to know how it was originally put together also.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
19Fordy

If it's not too much trouble post a photo with the cardboard template in place so as to show the problems you speak of. In the cars with the package tray and the bench seat there is a piece of wood that runs across the width of the car on top of the package tray. The collapseable material between the package tray and the top of the seat is fastened to this piece of wood. Could that space be for the wood?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

There was a similar post a few weeks back with pictures.
Chris.NZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
FatFndr

I have an original factory package tray from my reference '40 Ford coupe that is identical to my '39. Photo 1 shows the gap I am referring to, it shows the tray to be 1" short of the middle wooden support. Photo 2 shows the 2 7/8" gap on the side and photo 3 shows a 1" gap that develops if I pull the package tray flush with the front of the package tray framing. It seems to me that something is missing, I just don't know what. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-23_10-59-22_908.jpg (38.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-23_10-59-32_454.jpg (33.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-02-23_11-04-23_456.jpg (43.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
19Fordy

I know you are sure, but are you REALLY certain that the "original" package tray shelf you have hasn't been altered somewhere in its life? Or perhaps the guy at the factory in 1939 was having a bad day when he cut it out. In any case, I would go ahead and make your own package tray that does fit. It really won't hurt anything or detract from the install of your interior and noone will ever tell the difference. Another (not so good) idea would be to gently tap the sheet metal so that it moves inward to match your "original tray.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend42 View Post
contact kube, he should know.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
Mart

If you move it forward to meet the support wood, (or further), and create an equal gap all the way around, wouldn't that gap allow for the interior trim? In other words, would the shelf go in after the car is trimmed? My 40 had all that stuff taken out and a little seat fitted.

Sorry, I'm guessing, but your car is bare, it has no trim. I suppose the question I am asking is whether the shelf goes in before or after trim??

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
FatFndr

19Fordy - Yes I am certain this is an original piece. The '40 Ford coupe it came out of was put away 0ver 40 years ago (just drove in a garage and parked) and it is an extremely fine example of an original. The owner just tore it apart and is beginning to work on it but since he didn't "take notes" doesn't remember how it came apart.

Mart - I guess that is also part of my question

Fiend42 - Left a message for Kube

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
19Fordy

Is it at all possible that the package tray shelf you have was a leftover from 1938? To answer another question: The package tray goes in after the interior of the car has been installed.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFndr View Post
I am trying to build the package tray for a 1939 Ford Coupe and have a reference 1940 Coupe for comparison. The wooden piece for 1940 Ford package tray fits in place nicely (it's an original). With the package tray installed, it is 1" short of covering the middle wooden piece and 2 7/8" short on each side. Since the reference car and my car are both in pieces, neither the owner nor I know what fills this gap. What information am I missing to complete this part of my build?
From the dimensions you'd offered me it appears your tray is short 1" (front to back) as it should be 17 1/2".
So, if the curve appears to fit nicely, I'd suggest you cut another board, same curve but extend 1" forward.

The width you'd offered was correct at 53 3/4". You mention yours is considerably short on each side. If that is the case, there is something amiss within the metal (package tray) framing of your car.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
FatFndr

My thanks to Kube for all the help he gave me in successfully resolving this issue.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #14
Mart

Care to share the answer?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
FatFndr

Mart, the photos/information Kube provided me gave me the answer to my question. The framing is made up of 4 pieces (see first photo), this I knew because my reference '40 has them in it. My package tray is correct (see second photo), my reference '40 had those also. What I didn't have was the final 2 pieces that fit vertically from the framing to the floor. These 2 panels (see photo 2) are 1/8the - 3/16ths fiber board and seem to be sandwiched (at the top) with 2 each 1 x 2's. From what I can see in the photo, the 1" side is placed next to the panel (one on each side) and attached (glue/screw and clamp). With this basic information of what the entire structure consists of I can now duplicate (with a little cutting/fitting) the entire package tray. The specifications I will be using are already in this Post so I won't be repeating them, the panels are available through Wescott but I will probably just measure/cut and make my own, it doesn't seem that difficult. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of DSCN9596.jpg (36.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9595_2.jpg (45.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Mart, the photos/information Kube provided me gave me the answer to my question. The framing is made up of 4 pieces (see first photo), this I knew because my reference '40 has them in it. My package tray is correct (see second photo), my reference '40 had those also. What I didn't have was the final 2 pieces that fit vertically from the framing to the floor. These 2 panels (see photo 2) are 1/8the - 3/16ths fiber board and seem to be sandwiched (at the top) with 2 each 1 x 2's. From what I can see in the photo, the 1" side is placed next to the panel (one on each side) and attached (glue/screw and clamp). With this basic information of what the entire structure consists of I can now duplicate (with a little cutting/fitting) the entire package tray. The specifications I will be using are already in this Post so I won't be repeating them, the panels are available through Wescott but I will probably just measure/cut and make my own, it doesn't seem that difficult. Hope this helps.
The panels: the wood pieces that sandwich the panels are vertically installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1180011.JPG (62.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0219.jpg (48.5 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0195.jpg (44.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
FatFndr

I stand corrected on the wood that sandwiches the panel board. According to an email I received, they are not 1" x 2" pieces, they are 1" x 1". I don't know if this is correct but the person emailing me seemed pretty sure that those are the correct dimensions. And they are different lengths but they didn't say what that measurement was.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #18
Kube

Quote:
I stand corrected on the wood that sandwiches the panel board. According to an email I received, they are not 1" x 2" pieces, they are 1" x 1". I don't know if this is correct but the person emailing me seemed pretty sure that those are the correct dimensions. And they are different lengths but they didn't say what that measurement was.
Actually they are 7/8 x 1". One piece (each side) is 23 7/8" long, the other (each side) is 24 5/8".
I think in this picture you can see why one is longer than the other. Note the hole at the very top? That's the longer of the two. The shorter of the two goes rearward and slips under the metal channel that the package tray bolts to.
The long piece, attaches to a brace integral of the inner body with a 1/4" flat head bolt.
The inner side upholstered panels get nailed to the board facing forward. the cardboard panels within the trunk get nailed to the board facing rearward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2260007.JPG (60.0 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
Sam39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
If you move it forward to meet the support wood, (or further), and create an equal gap all the way around, wouldn't that gap allow for the interior trim? In other words, would the shelf go in after the car is trimmed? My 40 had all that stuff taken out and a little seat fitted.

Sorry, I'm guessing, but your car is bare, it has no trim. I suppose the question I am asking is whether the shelf goes in before or after trim??

Mart.
If this has been answered previously, sorry. There is a vertical wood piece that goes from side to side of the package tray. It is approx 55x3x3 qtr”. There is a filler piece attached to the bottom that mates to the actual package tray. I just removed my original ragged material. The fabric for package tray it headliner material. The covering of the upright piece is a sort of lightweight pressboard, almost textured cardboard.
Sam39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
19Fordy

Thank goodness for "Kube".