Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default How to remove drum & hub from the type with the hub flange is OUTSIDE of the drum?

OK, I've done searches couldn't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I don't know the exact year, but I have '40 style backing plates and the hubs and drums that place the hub flange on the outside portion of the drum. I believe the drums and hubs are later '46-'48 possibly?

I found NOS drums that I would like to use on the front of my AV8.

So my question is two parts:

1) What is the best way to separate the old drum and hub?
2) Do these types need to swedged or can modern wheel studs be used as replacements?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 07-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Andy

Default Re: How to remove drum & hub from the type with the hub flange is OUTSIDE of the drum

You need to cut the swedges out with a hole saw. You can then push the studs out. Serrated modern studs can be used. I did a lot of converions to Buick al drums and used serrated studs. It was difficult to find the right studs and drlll the right sized holes. I don't remember what studs I used. The serrated length was a problem. It is more of a problem as the stock drums are thinner. I used flattened lock washers to get the serrations positioned .
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
skidmarks

Default Re: How to remove drum & hub from the type with the hub flange is OUTSIDE of the drum

Or drill the head of the stud off from the inside.

You need the swedging tools to install stock studs and a minimum of a 20 ton press. Dont use the cheap repop studs
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Thanks, fellas. I found this de-swedger tool on-line...

https://goodson.com/products/swedge-tools
Old 07-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Andy

The swedged material is real soft. It had to be so it could be swedged. A mild steel 5/8 deep hole saw works just fine.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Remember that you can't mix the hubs and drums. Ford sold them as an assembly. The drum needs to match the hub used. I would advise taking everything to a shop that knows what they are doing (many don't unless they specialize in old Fords) and has the right tools. I assume you have the hubs/drums on the right. Also be careful that your rims don't hang up on the wheel weights.

If you are using 1935 and earlier wire wheels you will need to used a spacer to get the wheels to seat properly on the drum/hub. The rims will bolt on and look like they fit but will probably develop cracks at the lug nut holes.

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.jpg (81.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.jpg (79.5 KB, 23 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Remember that you can't mix the hubs and drums. Ford sold them as an assembly. The drum needs to match the hub used. I would advise taking everything to a shop that knows what they are doing (many don't unless they specialize in old Fords) and has the right tools. I assume you have the hubs/drums on the right. Also be careful that your rims don't hang up on the wheel weights.

If you are using 1935 and earlier wire wheels you will need to used a spacer to get the wheels to seat properly on the drum/hub. The rims will bolt on and look like they fit but will probably develop cracks at the lug nut holes.

Charlie Stephens
Thanks, Charlie. I have the set up on the right. Drums match the old drums.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The swedged material is real soft. It had to be so it could be swedged. A mild steel 5/8 deep hole saw works just fine.
Thanks, Andy. So, if I'm understanding correctly, use the 5/8" hole saw to drill around the stud. Once free, use the modern studs with the knurled shafts?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

If tyou use the hole cutter on the outside you will cut some of the hub flange, I have a dedicated swage cutter and it also takes some metal around the swage, but on the outside drum usually the drum is scrap so it doesn't matter, you want to save the hub on the outside, I would drill the head off the stud and press out the inside to eliminate any loss of metal from your hub
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #10
skidmarks

You need one of these to install ford studs and a capable press

The dorman serrated studs used with buick drums the shoulder us too small for stock ford drum/hub.

Is there another serrated stud available that will work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83494.jpg (40.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

Thanks, Skids. I have a one ton arbor press. Would that be enough force?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
If tyou use the hole cutter on the outside you will cut some of the hub flange, I have a dedicated swage cutter and it also takes some metal around the swage, but on the outside drum usually the drum is scrap so it doesn't matter, you want to save the hub on the outside, I would drill the head off the stud and press out the inside to eliminate any loss of metal from your hub
OK. To confirm, if I drill the heads off the studs, I'm pressing the old stud towards the backing plate side or towards the tire side of the hub assembly? Just trying to make sense of all this.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
Kurt in NJ

From the inside out after heads are off, this way you can drill large, stop when get to drum, support stud side with pipe or deep socket, push through from inside, much less chance of hub damage
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
From the inside out after heads are off, this way you can drill large, stop when get to drum, support stud side with pipe or deep socket, push through from inside, much less chance of hub damage
OK, thank you. Are Ford-type, swedged-type studs available still? Does anyone know of a shop in Northern NJ or Eastern NY that still does the swedge fit?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
deuce_roadster

Forget trying to use an arbor press. You need the power of hydraulics.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
skidmarks

With NOS or good quality old stock studs about 20 tons. Dont use the import repop studs they are soft
Old 07-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Frank Miller

From my experience with Model As it is suggested the drums be turned to ensure they're true on center. I believe this is what someone meant by matching them up.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #18
bob358rt

Been thru this with my 35 which has 39 hyd system. After the studs were removed From the hub I installed Napa 641-1617 wheel studs. This stud has all the demensions required for a interference press fit, thread length & dia. for my 35 with original wire wheels with required wheel spacer. No machine work required to the hubs after the original sweged studs were removed. Buy one stud & see if it works for you. Let us hear from you. Bob
bob358rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob358rt View Post
Been thru this with my 35 which has 39 hyd system. After the studs were removed From the hub I installed Napa 641-1617 wheel studs. This stud has all the demensions required for a interference press fit, thread length & dia. for my 35 with original wire wheels with required wheel spacer. No machine work required to the hubs after the original sweged studs were removed. Buy one stud & see if it works for you. Let us hear from you. Bob
Thank you so much, Bob!!! Will do.