Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #21
My Old Tools

Default Re: Foundering flathead

I'm near Tyler, Tx. I' m using a manifold port, small one. I have had the ported carb vacuum hooked up and not hooked up to the Loadamatic. I just picked up a compression guage, some MMO, and some other odds and ends. I'll be trying several things this weekend.
My Old Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If the vacuum is not connected to the loadamatic then it is not going to work. The loadamatic is totally dependent on that connection and will not function without it. This would have a major impact on how the engine is performing. The loadamatic does not have any other method for advance other than the vacuum ports in the carburetor (manifold vacuum will not work!).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #23
Graeme / New Zealand

I got my car as an unfinished project with a motor in the same condition as yours. I could see nice shiny valves through the spark plug holes. My car ran, but not the best. I had sticking valves, it farted, backfired every now and then and ran rich like yours. We can't get MM oil here is NZ but I poured some Moreys upper cylinder lube down the sparky holes and put some in with the gas. Overtime it freed up and I would say the rings bedded in. I have done 2k miles on it now, the more I drive it the better it gets. I have even backed the idle off now where I had to have it up a bit to get it to run ok.

The other thing is to get your distributor properly set up and run a good coil. I got one of Skips rebuilds and this made a diferrence the way it ran and started

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #24
My Old Tools

All cylinders are between 90#-100#, engine cold, cylinders dry, throttle open, 450 feet msl. But, while cranking number 3 cylinder is steady spraying fuel mist out the spark plug hole. I assume that indicates a carb leaking internally. Also found the plugs are wrong, Autolite 75 is a bit short. I picked up some Autolite 216 to replace them.

Last edited by My Old Tools; 06-16-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #25
My Old Tools

Starts right up. Takes throttle pretty well. Timing with the light is pretty close, maybe a bit retarded. No marks on the flywheel other than TDC. Half a bottle of MMO down the carb didn't change much but really fogged the garage.

Last edited by My Old Tools; 06-16-2019 at 01:49 PM.