Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
700rpm

Default What to put in the gas for winter storage?

I'm about ready to my A away for the winter. This will probably mean no starting till March or so. What's the best thing for storage to put in this new so-called gas we have to use now?
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: What to put in the gas for winter storage?

Sea-Foam is said to work well with this new crap gas. Personally I would put in real gas if you can get it. It's about 30 cents per gallon extra where I live in MN. My car sets untouched for up to 6 months over winter, then fires right up in the spring.

Some guys have had stuck valves from the crap gas when parked over the winter.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
700rpm

Thanks Tom. I did hear about some real gas available about 30 miles from here. They don't pump it into the car though, I've heard. You have to go with five-gallon cans. And it is about $1 more per gallon.

Maybe I'll just drain the gas out and run the carb dry and leave it. But then, what about rust?

Last edited by 700rpm; 10-28-2010 at 11:27 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Wuudie

Don't know specifically for the A since I'm not at that point with mine, but I have to say Sea Foam I use to clean out the carb/fuel injectors in everyday vehicles and use it to winterize my quad/motorcycle/Lawn Mower/lawn tractor/Weed Wacker/Chipper and works great on those vehicles. When I get to this point with the Car, was planning on using it in that too
Wuudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
1930fordor

STA-BIL
1930fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
KCTA Chris

I use aviation fuel (100LL) in my older cars. Years ago I read all the studies and facts but if I remember right it's without the road additives that can cause corrosion trouble, refined to a higher quality and designed to stay stable a little longer.

The lead and higher octane were a plus too.
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
ken ct
BANNED

I Seafoam everything. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
pat in Santa Cruz

'round here, everyone is using Sta-Bil Marine since its more resistant to water and we're on the ocean, so the humidity is high.

New, concentrated formula designed to fight the damaging effects of ethanol
  • More than four times the fuel system cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL
  • Double the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL
  • Prevents corrosion from moisture & ethanol-induced water attraction
  • Improves marine engine performance year-round, not just for seasonal storage
  • 8 oz. treats up to 80 gallons
  • 32 oz. treats up to 320 gallons
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
John LaVoy

STA-BIL is one and Hirsh Automotive makes another. We have used both on Model A Times cars that have been stored for extended periods and they fire right up when we brought them out of storage.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
zzlegend

I say full tank. I have had a couple of motorcycle tanks rust up when stored with no gas in them. Dont do it no more.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
Gord. B by the bay

Nothing, fill the tank with gas start the car once a month and in the spring grease and drive it,
Gord, B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Old182

It seems StaBil and Sea Foam are the choice of most. But as Chris mentioned, it'd be nice if you could get avgas because it's the most stable fuel out there. There's no road tax on it, so you'd need a friendly FBO that would sell it without supplying a wing number. It contains no olefins, so no peroxides and no resulting varnish or gums. It will easily store for the winter and much longer if necessary. Never store it in clear containers as the lead will precipitate out and the fuel will turn yellowish. Oh, and water will separate out and fall to the bottom of your tank so be sure to drain any condensation when you're ready to drive. P.S. You don't need the octane but the lead will help provide some exhaust valve lubrication.
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
RonC

Sta-Bil Marine. Fill up your tank first
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Freddie (Memphis)

We're fortunate (...well, the Jury's still out on this... ) enough to live where we can drive our cars all years long. But, having said that...we have other engines (ie: motorcycles, generators, etc.) that we do put up for the Winter months. But, I agree with Gord-B-by-the-Bay...a full tank and start them at least once a month. If you feel better using Sta-Bil, or Sea Foam, or whichever one you like...then pour it in before you fill 'em up - or just follow the directions on the bottle - and you should be good to go next year. I've not used the Sta-Bil for ethanol treated gas, but I will this season.

The full tank keeps the void (air in the tank) to a minimum thus limiting moisture, and consequently condensation in the tank. It's not 100%, but a damn sight better than a half-full tank.

Also...when you start one, be sure and plan on letting it run long enough to reach normal operating temperature for about 10 minutes. This helps insure the engine gets hot enough to evaporate any condensate in the block/sump. I don't worry about condensation too much, but it can be damaging if left in an engine long enough. I try to alleviate as much of any potential damage as I can by changing the oil before I put an engine away for the Winter to remove any existing condensate, and then again within the first week or two of the next season. It may be overkill, I'll grant you, but it's easy enough to do...and nothing's too good for my Babies.

Is my way gospel? Nope...and neither is yours... But, just being aware of condensation and what it can do to the inside of an engine and to gasoline is a pretty good start. Of course, the frickin' ethanol is also something to contend with, as well.

Hope this helps someone...I've used the method for years and so far, no problems.

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
HoarseWhisperer

Seafoam is a wonderful cleaner. However, I prefer Stabil or Stabil Marine for storage if I cannot fill-up with non-ethanol, as it supposedly contains no alcohol.

Seafoam reportedly contains isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol additive added to E10 = E10 plus?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
Mort

I have used a product called "Star-Tron" by the Star Brite company. It has been used in Marine applications for a while. I have been using it in marine outboards, small engines and my A for some time, it has been great.
Here is their web site.
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #17
Big D

Sta-Bil Marine-- I use it in everything. Boat, motorcycle, car, pressure washer..etc. I had a mech show me a fuel line that this new gas had been run thru. Leaves a coating on it, that will come off into filter. I put a filter in my bowl and clean it once or twice a year.

One thing not said was--- ENSURE that you run it long enough to refill the carborator bowl. Person who said keep full was dead on.. In the winter if a tank is half full it will allow water to form when temp changes.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
JimK1930A

I live in Minneapolis and my car sits from December through May. Before I store my car I fill my tank with gas and add Sta-Bil per instructions on the back of the bottle.
I hope this helps.
Jim
JimK1930A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
denis4x4

Quick note on Sta-Bil; a neighbor put Sta-Bil in his classic Jag in 2008 and only drove it a 100 miles or so and then proceeded to add more Sta-Bil in 2009. Got the Jag out in 2010 and it was so gummed up that the repair bill to clean the SU's and fuel lines and filter was horrendous! I use Sta-Bil in everything.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I'm about ready to my A away for the winter. This will probably mean no starting till March or so. What's the best thing for storage to put in this new so-called gas we have to use now?
sea foam
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote