Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Dbbc

Default Shock and shock links

Aloha,
I am trying to find out if my shocks are still good or not. The car is pretty bouncy, but because I have never been in another Model A, not sure if it is the way it should be or it could be improved.
Also shock link. Do the link should be able to have some play. I can move by hand very easily 2 of the link (I can rotate them almost 90 degrees), but the other 2 don't have any play. My guess they should be tight, any suggestions?
mahalo
Dbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
fiddlybits

Default Re: Shock and shock links

shock links - they are spring loaded so if adjusted properly they will be "tight". I have found that 2 turns past contact on the end plug loads the spring just right but it may be different on your car. There should be no end to end movement and if you spin them on their axis it will not be loose.

Quickest way to find out if any or all shocks are working is to remove the links, one by one, and run the shock arm up and down. You should feel resistance.... and the resistance going up should be greater than going down. Then put the link back together and tighten "snuggly".
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Shock and shock links

Working shocks will be VERY hard to move when the adjuster is full down. It will be easier to move the arm in the opposite direction.

If there is any play in the shaft on the shock then I can assure you it is not working.

If there is some resistance but you can move the arm by hand then you are not getting much work out of the shock.

On a car with good springs and no shocks the car will be to bouncy to drive much above 20-25 MPH. You will feel like you are going off the road. A well set up drive line will be comfortable to drive at 60 MPH.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote