Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Freddie (Memphis)

Default Re: Model A Garage & Heat???

Here's a link to a kerosene heater that looks the closest to the one I have...but, mine has a square tank/base and no guards all over it...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ven=Aggregates

It's at Northern Tool...about $109.00, from their website. I paid less than $60.00 for mine in 1985, but it doesn't have all the OSHA-mandated safety guards, cages, and other BS (I resort to old-school warnings...look, it's a kerosene heater...it gets real frickin' HOT, okay? ...so don't touch it, understand?) Mine does have a tip over shut-off valve that shuts it off should it get knocked over. Lemme see if I can copy-n-paste the picture here...

There ya go... Like I said, mine'll run you right outta the garage in a couple of hours. I usually turn it down to about half-speed after a couple of hours.

Hope this helps...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!

Last edited by Freddie (Memphis); 12-28-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #42
Chris Haynes

Do you really want a flame burning in a building that has gasoline fumes in it? I wasn't allowed to have a gas heater in the service department of my shop for that reason.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
Freddie (Memphis)

Who said anything about gasoline fumes...? If you've got gasoline fumes in your shop, and you don't open a window or a door to get some cross-flow ventilation...then you get what you bargained for... I don't care what your heating source may be...electric, gas, kerosene, or flatulence...

Give someone some credit for having at least as much knowledge as you do...you don't want to use a kerosene heater...then don't use one. I've been using one for over twenty five years with no incidents...with and without gasoline fumes in the garage...and with everything from MG's to Jaguars to Porsches to Shelby Cobras to hot rods, muscle cars, and Model A's, plus more than a few Indians and Harleys thrown in there, too.

I'd say I'm doing something right.... ...but you're certainly free to do as you please. I know I will...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!

Last edited by Freddie (Memphis); 12-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #44
Bruce in southern OH

Remember to check the height off floor of your receptacles, they are as dangerous as an open flame, the arc from disconnecting and connecting cords, GFI's for safety, heaters are just something else you have to use caution with, ( Like driving your A ), Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #45
BrianCT

Burning any fuel unvented will put a lot of water vapor into your garage. When the temp. goes back down it is going to condense on metal. Not good.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #46
Keith True

Ignition from a heating source is one of the last things I worry about.Between the welders,torches,grinders,and the plasma cutter I can put on quite a fire show.I heat with a waste oil furnace,hanging 10 feet off the floor.To answer Mark's question though,I really don't know of anything that will heat the garage from a 110 outlet,and be safe.People can talk about codes,theories,and running numbers,but whoever said figure your load at 75% of the rated circuit capacity hit the nail right on the head. That will keep you safe without going overboard.Propane is quick and easy,but here it is cost prohibitive.The absolute best thing I have found for a two car garage is a mobile home furnace.They are narrow,tall,economical,use little electricity,easily vented,discharge out through the bottom,and easily available,and you can just run to the gas station and buy a bucket of diesel to run it when you want.You just make a stand,(or set it on a couple of cement blocks)and the hot air blows out the bottom.It heats the concrete up after a while,and sometimes that will stay warm overnight.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #47
Gerard

Marc, This question came up some time ago on the old Fordbarn also. I replyd as follow: don't know your budget but I installed a heatpump ( air to air )and I am very pleased with it. Warm iin the winters here in Canada, and if needed cool in the summer. My investment was: time to install and US 1200,--
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #48
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie (Memphis) View Post
Here's a link to a kerosene heater that looks the closest to the one I have...but, mine has a square tank/base and no guards all over it...

It's at Northern Tool...about $109.00, from their website. I paid less than $60.00 for mine in 1985, but it doesn't have all the OSHA-mandated safety guards, cages, and other BS (I resort to old-school warnings...look, it's a kerosene heater...it gets real frickin' HOT, okay? ...so don't touch it, understand?) Mine does have a tip over shut-off valve that shuts it off should it get knocked over. Lemme see if I can copy-n-paste the picture here...
This is where i am leaning, just have to see the sizes now to see if a larger one and the prices
thanks
mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #49
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Ok this one seems to be all that i want....anyone know if this:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9101_200329101
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 173652_lg.jpg (61.6 KB, 9 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote