Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
dmsfrr

Default EPA regulations to outlaw performance car parts

My apologies for posting this to all 4 discussion boards but this applies to everyone who has a performance car that may have originally had emission equipment or a newer daily driver with emission controls.

The EPA has proposed to outlaw the sale of high performance parts as well as the right to convert vehicles into race cars
, effective July 2016.
There is an online petition to sign if you wish to do so. This doesn't directly apply to pre emission control vehicles, but will negatively affect all after-market car parts suppliers.

Link to the SEMA news release...
https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08...-into-racecars

Link to whitehouse(dot)gov online petition...
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...les-racecars-0

Please share this information as you can.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-22-2016 at 12:03 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: EPA regulations to outlaw performance car parts

Ive already signed it ... And Im in Australia!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Darrell S

I signed it, how do non-elected bureaucrats get this much power? We should be all over our elected reps over this.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Fredb_

Signed it. Thanks.
Fredb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Just another example of our current Government being Hell bent on telling all of us what is the correct way to go and live our lives . . . taking more freedoms away from the common man. This is typical - spending government time/money on something that is such an insignificant contributor to 'emissions' . . . versus working on the 'BIG' things that actually will make a difference.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
CharlieLed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the heads-up...
CharlieLed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Bored&Stroked

My brother did a bit of research - seems that SEMA isn't exactly correct on the issue:

SEMA's email generated a firestorm of response. Road & Track (and many others) followed up with the EPA and here is what they found:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ctually-means/

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/02/...to-a-race-car/
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #8
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
I signed it, how do non-elected bureaucrats get this much power? We should be all over our elected reps over this.

I've a theory, elections have consequences! Who appoints but those who are elected.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
My brother did a bit of research - seems that SEMA isn't exactly correct on the issue:

SEMA's email generated a firestorm of response. Road & Track (and many others) followed up with the EPA and here is what they found:

Thanks for pushing back against internet hysteria. Just as an example, this weekend I was shopping online for an exhaust downpipe for my OT car. I found more catalyst-delete pipes than OEM replacement pipes. In my view, catalytic converters shouldn't be deleted on street cars, especially daily drivers.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
moefuzz

Thanks for the heads up,

Signed.

moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
expavr

Quote:

The devil is in the details. There are many production cars currently driven on the streets whose owners have modified the intake and timing systems (supercharged, injected, etc) to use them on the track on the weekends. Whether or not and how the EPA chooses to enforce their regulations regarding the use of these vehicles on the public ROW is a matter for concern. There are some jurisdictions like CA where these vehicles might not pass the SMOG testing and are limited to use on the track only. IMO if the EPA had its way that would be true on a national level. SEMA has blunted the attempt by CA and other local agencies to regulate the emissions from our vintage iron and I applaud their efforts to challenge the EPA on this point.

Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by expavr View Post
The devil is in the details. There are many production cars currently driven on the streets whose owners have modified the intake and timing systems (supercharged, injected, etc) to use them on the track on the weekends. Whether or not and how the EPA chooses to enforce their regulations regarding the use of these vehicles on the public ROW is a matter for concern. There are some jurisdictions like CA where these vehicles might not pass the SMOG testing and are limited to use on the track only. IMO if the EPA had its way that would be true on a national level. SEMA has blunted the attempt by CA and other local agencies to regulate the emissions from our vintage iron and I applaud their efforts to challenge the EPA on this point.

Les Williams
Yes, they can't retroactively regulate old cars.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #13
ford38v8

Quote:

So your brother's research revealed the EPA's statement that they merely seek to clarify existing law.
Thank you, but I'll go with SEMA's interpretation of the EPA's intent. Where do I sign?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
Yes, they can't retroactively regulate old cars.
There is NOTHING in the US Constitution which could prevent Congress or the States from applying new laws to old cars.

One law in place for example: Oregon requires ALL automobiles driven at night to have operating turn signals. This of course means a 100% original early V8. Oregon's law does allow for cars originally not equipped with turn signals to be driven in daylight.

The only protection we have from malicious (to old cars) laws is us... Congress answers to the people, and listens. Write very nice letters to your senators and representative (both state and federal) telling how important your car is to you, with a photo of the car and your family, and your concerns about over restrictive rules.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
There is NOTHING in the US Constitution which could prevent Congress or the States from applying new laws to old cars.

One law in place for example: Oregon requires ALL automobiles driven at night to have operating turn signals. This of course means a 100% original early V8. Oregon's law does allow for cars originally not equipped with turn signals to be driven in daylight.

The only protection we have from malicious (to old cars) laws is us... Congress answers to the people, and listens. Write very nice letters to your senators and representative (both state and federal) telling how important your car is to you, with a photo of the car and your family, and your concerns about over restrictive rules.
Well, since you mention it, the Constitution doesn't mention cars at all, so I suppose they could be eliminated at any time. Perhaps I should write to Congress so they don't ban cars?

My point is that you need to stay on topic and know what you're fighting against, and not just some rumor.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
TJ

Just for info Jerry Brown has appointed an ex state senator named Florez to the California Air Resources Board. This guy has previously introduced legislation to bring back a smog check program for older cars. He was headed off by SEMA. Now that he is on the board he no longer is responsible to the voters. We'll soon see how he treats the hobby. Being appointed by Brown does not bode well for the hobby.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
rotorwrench

It wouldn't bode well for Brown to mess with the car hobby guys either. He might end up like Gray Davis.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #18
petehoovie

Politicians come and go. It's the non-elected, overpaid, mindless, clock watching, mouth breathing, worthless, affirmative action, career bureaucrats who are to be feared. And, to think that 'progressive' liberals want even more of them - to oversee our health care and private lives - the EPA, IRS, ACA, NSA, & TSA no less - the list seems endless. And, these people are fireproof. Government is nothing but a gigantic 'jobs' program for the losers of society.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #19
J Franklin

Karl, I drive my Model A at night and have working turn signals, My arm! Oregon laws are not retroactive.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #20
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Karl, I drive my Model A at night and have working turn signals, My arm! Oregon laws are not retroactive.
The problem you have is driving a car is a privilege and not a right. They can tell you to install turn signals and those laws can be retroactive. Turn signals are for you safety. Hardly anyone understands hand signals any more and no one can see hand signals at night. In reality your insurance company could demand you put on turn signals and you would have to do it or they could cancel you policy. None of us like government intrusion, but there is common sense that can affect your own safety. I have turn signals on every one of my old Fords, because I don't want some nitwit to run into me because he doesn't see my hand signal or doesn't understand a hand signal.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote