Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
CB919ER

Default Crank starter

I'm trying to get my A back on the road after 20 years in the garage. I wanted to turn the engine over by hand a little and let some oil work its way through the engine.

When I put the crank in the front of the car and pulled it wouldn't budge. I'm not the strongest guy but not I'm not exactly weak, am I missing something that would prevent the engine from turn with the crank? Some safety catch I'm missing? Or am I looking at a seized engine?

Thanks for all the help guys!
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Crank starter

Is the transmission in neutral? Could be a stuck engine or jammed starter drive.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
RawhideKid
BANNED

First thing I would do is pull the plugs and put about an ounce of MMO in each cylinder, let sit 1 day, repeat, let sit, repeat, etc for a week. Then try the crank again, OR, place in gear and gently rock the car back and forth, but don't try pulling the car around to break it loose. Gently work the engine, it will come loose with a gentle touch and patience. The harder you try, the higher the chance of seriously breaking something.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Any chance there are one or more cylinders full of water? Did you remove the plugs (and hopefully squirted a little oil in) before you tried to turn it?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
joel rapose

I have had that on cars I purchased....took the plugs out and put in Marvo Mystery Oil...could use Kroil ...I think it is the best on the market...

It may take several days to break it free....just put the car in 3rd gear and rock it back and fourth over and over...at first it will seem like nothing changed...but the second day it may move a tad...by the third day it should turn all the way over...etc...
Then use a good battery and crank it for about a minute...leave it for an hour...crank etc.etc.... after a few days of doing this...put the plugs in and fire it up...may still have stick rings but they should come loose with all that Marvo oil you put in er...

Joel
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
joel rapose

Like Charley said....could have blown a head gasket and rusted the cylinders tight...You will see the evidence on the plugs when you pull em out...

Worst thing with a head gasket is if it had anti-freeze in it...the bearings are probably gone... Anti-freeze turns babbit into soap...not the kind you was your hands in ...it eats holes in the babbit...they holes will be black...really ruins bearings.....ie.. Black Holes

Joel
joel rapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #7
CB919ER

I did put some MMO down in the cylinders, the spark plugs look a rough and I intended to change them. The Radiator is still full so I don't have anyway to know if the head gasket is blown or not. I'll let it soak and try gentle rocking the car after its had time to work into tie cylinders.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
40 Deluxe

Loosen the oil drain plug until only a couple of threads are holding, and see if any coolant drips out(water/coolant settles to the bottom). Then change the oil. Remove the starter in case it is jammed.
Pull the distributor and pour a quart or two of oil in the opening after draining oil (to get oil to the dipper tray and mains right away). Consider that condensation over the years may have rusted holes in the bottom of the dipper tray, thus draining away oil that should stay in the tray.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
CB919ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Loosen the oil drain plug until only a couple of threads are holding, and see if any coolant drips out(water/coolant settles to the bottom). Then change the oil. Remove the starter in case it is jammed.
Pull the distributor and pour a quart or two of oil in the opening after draining oil (to get oil to the dipper tray and mains right away). Consider that condensation over the years may have rusted holes in the bottom of the dipper tray, thus draining away oil that should stay in the tray.
I didn't check the oil to that extent, but I did pull the dipstick and the oil isn't cloudy/milky and actually looks better clean overall. I'm still going to change it before I actually start the car, but I'll take your suggestion about the drain plug, it can't hurt anything.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel rapose View Post
I have had that on cars I purchased....took the plugs out and put in Marvo Mystery Oil...could use Kroil ...I think it is the best on the market...

It may take several days to break it free....just put the car in 3rd gear and rock it back and fourth over and over...at first it will seem like nothing changed...but the second day it may move a tad...by the third day it should turn all the way over...etc...
Then use a good battery and crank it for about a minute...leave it for an hour...crank etc.etc.... after a few days of doing this...put the plugs in and fire it up...may still have stick rings but they should come loose with all that Marvo oil you put in er...

Joel
You like Kroil? try this

this is the best Ive ever used,it cuts corrosion like no other.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #11
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Put the car in third gear and push it both ways to see if the engine will move. Might be a little easier than pulling on that crank.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
CB919ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
You like Kroil? try this

this is the best Ive ever used,it cuts corrosion like no other.
Can't hurt
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB919ER View Post
I didn't check the oil to that extent, but I did pull the dipstick and the oil isn't cloudy/milky and actually looks better clean overall. I'm still going to change it before I actually start the car, but I'll take your suggestion about the drain plug, it can't hurt anything.
The impurities settle out of the oil over time as does water so the oil looks good on the dipstick, BUT...removing the drain plug tells the real story.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
CB919ER

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! after letting the engine soak in MMO for a little over a week and some gentle rocking, the engine is no longer seized. I'm going to keep working the crank with some MMO and fresh oil to help relubricate engine parts but this (what I consider) a major hurdle that i've gotten past on my on way to starting my model
a!