Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
shop teacher

Default Rainy day fun.

I finally had all of my transmission parts all in one place and decided that it was a good day to start to assemble it.
When I took out the transmission I pulled the drain plug so as to not make a mess, the only thing that came out was dust balls. The mainshaft flopped up and down over 1/2 inch, the mainshaft and the input shaft were beyond repair the bearing inside the input shaft was gone not even small pieces. I aquired used input and mainshaft from Rod in Nebraska and purchased all the other pieces from Snyders, Berts,and Mikes it was very pleasant to deal with all the parts suppliers.
I only had to take it back apart one time(wrong assembly sequence) so it was very enjoyable.
If all of my other restoration attempts are as pleasant as this was I will be happy.
I am more than a little concerned about taking the plug out of the differential---I hope to see black gooey grease run out-- not dust balls.
Only time will tell as it is almost warm enough in Iowa to work in the shed again.
Thankyou to all for all the informative posts that I read each week.
shop teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
clocey

Default Re: Rainy day fun.

Nice to hear that someone else in Iowa appreciated the warm weather!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Any pictures?
With a tranny that bad, this must have been a car setting out in the field for years. Always fun to see what people are working on.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
shop teacher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I bought the 29 Tudor at a farm auction in central Iowa. It was from Nebraska and the title had even been transfered, so I have a currently licensed 1929 Ford Tudor. I believe it was stored inside as there was no rust thru on any panel. The paint was poor to nonexistant the body overall good shape. All parts except the shocks were on the car also.
The floorboards were a hoot--they looked great inside and out--until I started to remove them to pull the engine and transmission. The inner floor was a 1/4" plywood with a layer of roofing tar layed on the original floor. Lots of fun to get out.
It looked to me that the folks from Neb. drove it for quite a while with no grease as the shifter and fork were extremely worn from holding the gear shift back in 3rd gear.
I will attempt to get pictures soon.
Thankyou for looking.
Duane
shop teacher is offline   Reply With Quote