Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #1
Steve45hd

Default Needing Assistance -Fifty 8BA- Running Issue

Ok Ive got a Fifty Ford Car with An 8BA V8

Heres its problem , It starts and idles perfectly. Once warmed up and Driving it begins to stall(shut off) and restart(because its in gear i presume) , repeatedly as long as i drive it it seems very regular and will stall every 15 seconds and re-fire right up .

Here's what Ive done:
Car had a petronix ignition called them they said only issue could be coil not within their spec of .6 ohms Checked it and it was not . Got a new coil installed it ....did the same thing

Took the petronix out installed new points and condenser , re-wired distributor checked ground found it to be good Checked timing its at two BTDC but also found Vacuum advance to be defective. I replaced it. Checked the vacuum supply its got vacuum but know it changes under operation. Drove the Car Did the Same Thing

Bypassed all the electrics in car and hot wired ignition drove the car again ........ does the same thing.
Ive checked the fuel supply and installed an electric fuel pump (previously, as the car sits a lot, to prime fuel pump) Its got great fuel supplied to the carburetor (Ford 94)

I am at my whits end trying to determine whats going on with this car!

ANY SUGGESTIONS ????
Steve45hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Needing Assistance -Fifty 8BA- Running Issue

One thing I've seen happen a time or two is when something gets into the gas tank that can slowly get drawn to the outlet pipe and block it. This kind of stuff will drive you crazy till you find it. Once the engine quits, the bugger falls off due to lack of suction draw and then the engine will run again for a while. The only other thing I can think of would be a temperature sensitive problem such as a coil with a cracked wire winding. It gets hot and the crack opens up but the gap closes back up after cool down. This stuff will wear you down sometimes.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #3
Steve45hd

Thank you for the response.. I have pressurized the fuel tank and watched it pass at least a gallon of fuel with no interuption. AS for the Coil It had this issues with the original Pertronix Coil and it does the same with a brand new coil.
Still Stumped ...
I did just remove the Carburetor and inspected all the jets and passageways to insure they were clear ....the car does run a tad better however its still shutting off somehow.......
Anyone wanna buy a 50 Ford Convertible with a running issue !!!
Old 05-20-2022, 08:13 AM   #4
Steve45hd

ANYONE Have any other Ideas ????
Old 05-20-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
joe 1950

Steve i have a 50 cpe couple year’s back had the same problem finally got it to die in the driveway traced problem to the wire terminal that feeds it power to the coil if i just wiggled the terminal a little bit i could get a voltage reading and then it would go away cut off the old terminal and soldered in a new one problem fixed good luck
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
Als48

I've seen vehicles/engines do strange things such as this, when the exhaust is plugged or restricted. If you only have single exhaust, this could be even more problematic. Your exhaust could be plugged by a squirrel or mouse, or smashed by improperly placed jack, etc. It's worth a look.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
JWL
Member Emeritus

Does this car have OD trans?
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Pushing pressure into the tank is not the same as drawing fuel out of the tank. This certainly may not be your problem but it is not impossible for that to happen. Something as small as a plugged vent can stop fuel flow. Vented caps can be problematic at times.

If fuel flows to the carb good then check all the other stuff.

The previous poster has a point if the car has electric overdrive. There is a feature of the down shift system that cuts the coil off momentarily to hasten the down shift.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #9
Shoebox

I had a similar problem once. At some point I chose to drive it and be prepared for when it would die, choosing a route where I could safely pull over immediately, and have tools and a helper to find out what was missing, fuel, spark or? In my case it was spark.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
mfirth

What JWL & rotorwrench said x 2. Experience with both.......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #11
JayChicago

But what about this line from the original post?:
"Bypassed all the electrics in car and hot wired ignition drove the car again ........ does the same thing."
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
Flathead Fever

An ignition problem can be, but not always, an abrupt shutting off of the engine like you turned the key off. A fuel problem will feel like the car is running out of gas, like your lawn mower doe's, it runs poorly for a few seconds and then dies. The way an engine quits is what sends me in a direction of diagnosing if it is ignition or fuel. Since you have "completely' bypassed the ignition system, that means everything, you have a new wire directly to the battery bypassing the ignition switch and all the old wring, new resistor (if it uses one), new coil, points condenser. Something people forget to check is the wire to the points inside the distributor. It will break and still make contact and run until the advance rotates the point plate and it loses the connection. Like when you say you drive for 15-seconds. As the rpm increases the advance will rotate the plate and it would die consistently.

My initial thought is it sounds like an ignition problem but if you have replaced "everything" that leaves the fuel. If you can pump a gallon with no problem, it should easily run for more than 15-seconds and it would not consistently quit every 15-seconds. It is always possible you installed a faulty new ignition part which really messes with your head.

Don't feel bad, it's really hard to fix something that won't stay broke long enough to test it. Something you can try is to remove your electric priming fuel pump, plug the line from the tank. Remove the line from fuel pump to the carb and block off the fuel pump outlet so it cannot spray any fuel left in it. Use a piece of hose with a bolt stuck in it and "clamped". Run the car off of a gas can sitting on the passenger floor and have a passenger make sure it does not tip over. Plumb it directly to the carburetor so that you have bypassed everything in the fuel system but the carburetor.

At the phone company we tried to save Fleet Operations every penny we could. Tow-trucks were a last resort. If we had to go rescue one the first thing, we did was spray carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb to see if it was fuel or ignition. We had parts for everything, so we brought a new coil, module and pickup plus our auxiliary fuel tank setup. That usually got them back to the shop, unless one broke a timing belt. It was a pride thing to not let a vehicle beats us and have to call the tow truck. We brought vehicles back to the shop from as far away as 30-miles using that five gallon can of gas and an electric fuel pump.

I used a 5/16" metal fuel line, 2' long connected with a hose and clamps to a Fram metal fuel filter. That was the gas cans pick-up tube. Then the fuel pump was connected with a hose to the fuel filter. We had short pieces of flared metal (both ends) fuel lines, 5/16" and 3/8", that we could use attach to the carburetors. We had 50' rolls of every size fuel hose. We cut off a length that could reach from the passenger floor, out the passenger window and usually under the back of the hood to the carburetor. We had really long wires with alligator clips for testing things, they could reach from one end of a vehicle to the other end. We connected the pump directly to the battery with those alligator clips. The whole operations was fast especially with two guys on it. The problem is you don't have all this stuff laying around that you can just grab for free and make a bypass fuel system.

I have that setup here at the house. I used it to drive a neighbors' non-running '34 pickup that had sat for years. A new battery and my auxiliary fuel system and it ran great. I got to drive it to its new home using the gas can. It had a stock 59A in it, peppy little pickup, really fun to drive. Iwas amazed how well it ran after sitting for all those years.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 05-20-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
19Fordy

Steve,

Do 50 Fords have that short flexible cloth covered rubber hose on the firewall that feeds the carb? Those hoses often detriorate causing blockage.

Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and the inlet side of your fuel pump. If not, you may be getting gas tank debris in your fuel pump that allows the engine to idle but, is starved for gas at higway speed.

Do you have any leaks at your fuel line/pump fittings? Is you fuel pump mounted correctly in relation to your tank?

Is the fuel pump putting out too much pressure causing the needle in the carb to remain "seated" rather than drop down? What about carb float height adjustment?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:03 AM   #14
Bill OH

You have a loadamatic distributor? If so take a look at the wire connecting the points and condenser to the terminal in the distributor base that is in turn connected to the coil. I had a 53 8ba that did the same thing and it would always restart, but it would run more than 15 secs - like an hour. It had overdrive. I would try disconnecting the kick down circuit, which shorts the points.
Bill OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #15
Don T

That little wire under the breaker plate will get you! The engine will run OK with the breaker plate in some positions; until the vac advance kicks in, rotates the plate and grounds out your ignition. How do I know this?
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #16
TomO

The wire inside the distributor is not used with the pertronix. The igniter wires replace it. The original problem occurred with pertronix installed.

Did you jumper from the battery to the coil, or use another power source? Is this a 12V neg ground or 6V pos ground system?

Pulling out the choke can help with fuel delivery problems. Try it next time the car acts up.

I would try trouble shooting the problem in the driveway. Let the engine warm up and increase the rpms to see if you get a miss or the engine cuts out. If it acts up, check the spark to see if it is breaking down.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #17
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
An ignition problem can be, but not always, an abrupt shutting off of the engine like you turned the key off. A fuel problem will feel like the car is running out of gas, like your lawn mower doe's, it runs poorly for a few seconds and then dies. The way an engine quits is what sends me in a direction of diagnosing if it is ignition or fuel. Since you have "completely' bypassed the ignition system, that means everything, you have a new wire directly to the battery bypassing the ignition switch and all the old wring, new resistor (if it uses one), new coil, points condenser. Something people forget to check is the wire to the points inside the distributor. It will break and still make contact and run until the advance rotates the point plate and it loses the connection. Like when you say you drive for 15-seconds. As the rpm increases the advance will rotate the plate and it would die consistently.

My initial thought is it sounds like an ignition problem but if you have replaced "everything" that leaves the fuel. If you can pump a gallon with no problem, it should easily run for more than 15-seconds and it would not consistently quit every 15-seconds. It is always possible you installed a faulty new ignition part which really messes with your head.

Don't feel bad, it's really hard to fix something that won't stay broke long enough to test it. Something you can try is to remove your electric priming fuel pump, plug the line from the tank. Remove the line from fuel pump to the carb and block off the fuel pump outlet so it cannot spray any fuel left in it. Use a piece of hose with a bolt stuck in it and "clamped". Run the car off of a gas can sitting on the passenger floor and have a passenger make sure it does not tip over. Plumb it directly to the carburetor so that you have bypassed everything in the fuel system but the carburetor.

At the phone company we tried to save Fleet Operations every penny we could. Tow-trucks were a last resort. If we had to go rescue one the first thing, we did was spray carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb to see if it was fuel or ignition. We had parts for everything, so we brought a new coil, module and pickup plus our auxiliary fuel tank setup. That usually got them back to the shop, unless one broke a timing belt. It was a pride thing to not let a vehicle beats us and have to call the tow truck. We brought vehicles back to the shop from as far away as 30-miles using that five gallon can of gas and an electric fuel pump.

I used a 5/16" metal fuel line, 2' long connected with a hose and clamps to a Fram metal fuel filter. That was the gas cans pick-up tube. Then the fuel pump was connected with a hose to the fuel filter. We had short pieces of flared metal (both ends) fuel lines, 5/16" and 3/8", that we could use attach to the carburetors. We had 50' rolls of every size fuel hose. We cut off a length that could reach from the passenger floor, out the passenger window and usually under the back of the hood to the carburetor. We had really long wires with alligator clips for testing things, they could reach from one end of a vehicle to the other end. We connected the pump directly to the battery with those alligator clips. The whole operations was fast especially with two guys on it. The problem is you don't have all this stuff laying around that you can just grab for free and make a bypass fuel system.

I have that setup here at the house. I used it to drive a neighbors' non-running '34 pickup that had sat for years. A new battery and my auxiliary fuel system and it ran great. I got to drive it to its new home using the gas can. It had a stock 59A in it, peppy little pickup, really fun to drive. Iwas amazed how well it ran after sitting for all those years.

Flathead Fever

I have a 1939 Ford with a 59A-B engine in it that suddenly quit as I was driving it last Monday 10/3. I have put 1,000 miles on her since buying in June 2021. It has always cranked and run fine since my purchase. Rather than starting a new post I found this post and think that it answers why the vehicle quit. I had just fueled up by adding 6 gal of fuel. The fuel kept back flowing up the fill tube and spilling on the ground. I had to stop and restart fueling about 5 times. I am thinking that this may have stirred up some debris in the tank and temporarily plugged the gas line as you mentioned in your post. I made it about one mile before it quit. Would not restart after I broke down. Got pulled home and went out the next day to test if I was getting any spark to the plugs. I took the wire off of one plug while my wife hit the starter button. She roared back to life without even the choke being pulled! I did not find any loose wires so I am thinking your thought of a temporary blockage in the gas tank may be what happened. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience on this post. I really do appreciate it since I am not a seasoned "gear head" but just like to drive these old Fords for the fun of it. Ramblin Reck
Old 10-06-2022, 05:45 AM   #18
Slamnslash

Where are you located?
Slamnslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:37 AM   #19
pistonbroke

When you say hot wired did you remove all the cars stock wiring from the coil? and are you goin directly to the battery with your hot wire? If you have a intermittent short or grounding which is what I highly suspect you need to totally eliminate the cars wiring and work backwards to find the source. The other thing I would look at is the main lead from the coil to the distributor cap. Had one do a similar thing once. I can't explain why ,it just did and caused a lot of head scratching. The remote fuel supply bypassing all but the carb would be my next approach. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote