Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
demingboy

Default torque tube removal

Hi there.
So I read on here the different ways to remove the torque tube so that I can fix a bad throw out bearing. Have decided to move back rear end to fix. Van Pelt has really good instructions but they want the transmission to remove out thru the car.
I am hoping that since I have a 8BA from 1951 ford with a removable bell housing that I can do this differently. Not sure. They have an interesting idea to just put on some 16 inch rims to roll rear end back enough to clear wheel wheels.
So my question is do I really need to lift transmission out the access panel in the floor board? It mentioned you have to access top bolts on tranny this way also?
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: torque tube removal

demingboy, your idea with the bare rims is a pretty good one to give a guy more 'lowering' of the rear as you guide it out the back. It reduces the height you have to get the rest of the car. My buddy JM35Sedan learned me up on that one.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:36 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by demingboy View Post
Hi there.
So I read on here the different ways to remove the torque tube so that I can fix a bad throw out bearing. Have decided to move back rear end to fix. Van Pelt has really good instructions but they want the transmission to remove out thru the car.
I am hoping that since I have a 8BA from 1951 ford with a removable bell housing that I can do this differently. Not sure. They have an interesting idea to just put on some 16 inch rims to roll rear end back enough to clear wheel wheels.
So my question is do I really need to lift transmission out the access panel in the floor board? It mentioned you have to access top bolts on tranny this way also?
What year Ford are you working on?
Old 05-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
Zeke3

When my brother and I did this job on our '37 many years ago, we just set it down on the rear drums and rolled it out enough to remove the transmission.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by demingboy View Post
Hi there.

Yes, the trans will need to come out from inside the car after the front floor is removed. The later bell really won't help make the job much easier, it's just a big job. My '41 Merc has JUST enough room to wiggle the trans out past the obstructions even with the floor removed.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

On my 40, i Jack up the azz end pretty high then place Jack stands under the frame just forward of the rear tires where the X meets the side frame rails. Once I get it unbolted I slide it back on the floor Jack then lower it to the floor on the tires.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
19Fordy

demingboy: Please tell us what components and vehicle you are working on.

What year, make and model car are you working on?
What year engine and transmission is already in the car?

Is it the stock 1941 Ford engine or is it a 1951 Ford engine. The 1951 Ford engine will not bolt up to the stock 1941 Ford transmission unless a 1949-50 Mercury or early Ford pickup truck bellhousing is used. Is that what you have?

If it is a 1941 Ford engine you can replace the throwout bearing by either removing the engine OR sliding the rear end back and then removing the transmission by lifting it up and out through the floor. If you decide to remove the engine, you don't need to slide the rear end back. In either case, you will have to remove the floor boards and transmission cover AND the front seat to give easy access to the bellhousing bolts and also enough room to work.

If you need to do any internal engine work, it might be better to remove the engine and also replace the throwout bearing at the same time along with and any other components that need attention.

Post photos , if possible and tell exactly what you changes you want to make.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-19-2022 at 03:00 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
demingboy

Yikes. My picture shows my car. I am guessing some folks do not use their own car picture. I certainly should have included this information. Sorry.
What I have is a 1941 ford tudor sedan. I am pretty sure the guy who sold it to me actually did install a 1951 ford engine. Bell housing and transmission I am unsure of. He seemed to be a good mechanic and I am betting he just got a hold of a used complete unit and just slapped it in. He mentioned a new cluth but the throw out bearing should not be worn out yet.
Definitely is an 8BA as its stamped on heads,top mount distributor and removable bell housing.
I was balking at pulling new pan inside but will have to do so . If so I am just going to pull the motor. It does need refreshed as it were. Runs good buttttt.
Thanks for ideas
Old 05-20-2022, 06:44 PM   #9
Ggmac

Ive got the front floor and front clip off of one of my 41s now if you need pictures. It does give alot of room for removing the trans , well maybe not alot but more than needed . I also had a 8ba style in it but removed it and reinstalled a 40-41 motor . This is a recent purchase that had extra NOS doors , and 2 sets of front fenders . Always good to have .
Good luck
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #10
38bill

May not have been some bad wrenching but rather bad parts. Good, new throw-out bearings are hard to find. Maybe do a search here on FB before you buy a new one.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
19Fordy

demingboy:
What do you mean when you say,
I was balking at pulling new pan inside but will have to do so .

It would be great if you would post some photos of your engine compartment including
engine photos. As you take your car apart take plenty of photos of how the compnents are assembled along with written notes on their size, like clutch and pressure plate.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #12
demingboy

By removing the pan I called it wrong. The inside floor covering I called a pan. Getting some good ideas here as always.
It used to be a PIA to post pics. I will try again.
I will definitely take pictures and notes. Heck at 72 I gotta lol.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
Shoovel

demingboy,
One thing I will mention above all the great info you have received. I pulled the trans on my 39 Coupe thru the inside access panel. Once the rear trans mount bolts are removed, you will have to jack the back of the motor up quite a bit to get the trans to clear the crossmember. Once the trans is out, MAKE SURE you have a way to keep the engine in that position. I used a 2x4 and 2 jack stands as my hydraulic jack would leak down.
Shoovel is offline   Reply With Quote