Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
ford1

Default a little clarification

as most of you know im usually down on the fine points posts, its not the fine points cars i dislike, i love a beautifully restored car, its with some of the owners where the problem starts, they are the ones who come over to a beautiful home restored car and say why did you do that? thats wrong, you should do it like this, your an idiot, im smarter than you my car is a lot better than yours, then they go over and stand beside there taped off car and say keep the hell away from it, even you fine points guys know what i mean, they are at every show, thats not what is needed in this hobby to get younger people involved, we need more of the home restorers, the ones who welcome the people to come over to there cars, open the hood for them, open the car doors and let them sit behind the wheel and have there pictures taken, those are the type that will grow this hobby, AND Fred i thought your fire hydrant remark was hilarious, so you fine points guys can take this as a kind of apology for some of my posts,
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: a little clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1 View Post
as most of you know im usually down on the fine points posts, its not the fine points cars i dislike, i love a beautifully restored car, its with some of the owners where the problem starts, they are the ones who come over to a beautiful home restored car and say why did you do that? thats wrong, you should do it like this, your an idiot, im smarter than you my car is a lot better than yours, then they go over and stand beside there taped off car and say keep the hell away from it, even you fine points guys know what i mean, they are at every show, thats not what is needed in this hobby to get younger people involved, we need more of the home restorers, the ones who welcome the people to come over to there cars, open the hood for them, open the car doors and let them sit behind the wheel and have there pictures taken, those are the type that will grow this hobby, AND Fred i thought your fire hydrant remark was hilarious, so you fine points guys can take this as a kind of apology for some of my posts,
I welcome people to look and view my car, no problem there, but how would you treat this TRUE experence:

I had just finished restoring my 1929 Standard Coupe in 1981 (for the first time) and was at a local event in Walla Walla, WA.

I was standing about 30 feet away from the car at the time when I noticed this fellow, who was smoking a cigarette, walk up to my car (the windows were down), and put his arms on the lower window opening with the cigarette he was holding and smoke within the car itself.

You do not want to hear the "rest of the story"...Trust me!

Ford1...Do you know Mort Lindahl in Durham/Richvale, CA?

Pluck
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
ford1

i dont really know him but have met him thru some of the car club members in oroville, and i would have been just as upset as you were, those things happen, i try not to lose my temper, but try to explain what they did and it is wrong to treat peoles car like that, its better to try to explain to them , in my opion, and maybe they will not do it again and teach there children others not to be disrespectfull of others property, but really i dont blame you lol
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
2935ford

There was a fellow at a show a few years ago. Looked my firends A all over for about 25 minutes. Then, while looking under at the rear axle, he said "Ah huh, you missed the cotter pin on the u bolt holding the spring to the frame!" He had the biggest smile of delight on his face a person could have.

What do you do about people like that?!

How about when you come back from your walk around at a show...there's a complete stranger sitting in your car!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
ford1

both were rude, especialy the nit picking one, those are the high point car owners im talking about, as for the guy in your car just ask him if it would be alright for you to go and sit in his car if he werent around, most get the point, as for me i have a sign i put on my car while im gone, it says (please dont touch if im not here), i have had good luck with that sign, but there are going to be idiots at every meet, i can handle ignorance, that can be cured with a little explaination, stupidity is what lites my fire, there is not a thing you can do to help that, and as for the nit picker, ask him if he has a car in the show, and is it a perfect one, if so you woulld like to see it and examin it like he did yours, most wont answer you or let you see there car lol
Old 01-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Fred
BANNED

OR, Mom & Dad looking in the side window & the KID standing on the front fender ( lower section ) holding on to gas cap trying to look in !!.. Nice Swirl marks when he did get off.. How about, We come out of a restaurant & find a guy sitting in the front seat & his kid in the rumble seat & his wife taking pictures !!..
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
ford1

Fred read my last post, and the signs work real good
Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Logan

Ford1:
I know exactly how you feel. There is this one guy in our club, that just royally pisses me off. He has a "fine point" car from the 60's (that now probably wouldn't pass touring class judging) that no one has ever seen. He's the guy that when a new member shows up to a club meeting he will go out and point out everything that is wrong with their car. One guy went and sold his car the next week because it wasnt the right colors... how sad is that. Not to mention that this guy in our club had a B motor in his car for 20 years, but glued a plate with a model a engine number on the side of the block. This is how he justified it being "correct". He hides every single one of his modifications, but makes sure to point out everyone else's flaws with their cars.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Ford1:
I know exactly how you feel. There is this one guy in our club, that just royally pisses me off. He has a "fine point" car from the 60's (that now probably wouldn't pass touring class judging) that no one has ever seen. He's the guy that when a new member shows up to a club meeting he will go out and point out everything that is wrong with their car. One guy went and sold his car the next week because it wasnt the right colors... how sad is that. Not to mention that this guy in our club had a B motor in his car for 20 years, but glued a plate with a model a engine number on the side of the block. This is how he justified it being "correct". He hides every single one of his modifications, but makes sure to point out everyone else's flaws with their cars.
There are MANY other ways to tell a "B" motor from an "A" motor, so he was not hiding anything.. There was NO fine point cars in the 60`s...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
fred read my last post, and the signs work real good
wrong !!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
ford1

Fred, you may be right about that, but back then every thing was more fun, simpler. and a lot more enjoyable than it is now in a lot of ways, back then you just drove and enjoyed your car, no matter what condition it was in
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
There are MANY other ways to tell a "B" motor from an "A" motor, so he was not hiding anything.. There was NO fine point cars in the 60`s...
i know this, but he "made" his B motor into an A motor by doing this. Thats just the way he justified it, and made it okay in his mind. But that motor quit on him, so now he has a very hot cam in an A block. It doesnt sound like a model a at all.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
i know this, but he "made" his B motor into an A motor by doing this. Thats just the way he justified it, and made it okay in his mind. But that motor quit on him, so now he has a very hot cam in an A block. It doesnt sound like a model a at all.
Ok, Question, How did he hide the hole in the side of the block for the fuel pump ??.. The different size valve cover plate ?..
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Bob/Kansas City

That's why I sold my Corvettes. The purists wouldn't or couldn't accept the fact that a car was restored to something other than an exact factory original. I just got tired of hearing the same old picking about my '66 Stingray that had a built 350 small block in it instead of the old anemic 250 hp 327.
A person should be able to exercise a little individuality without the factory original "police" nit picking your car to death.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ok, Question, How did he hide the hole in the side of the block for the fuel pump ??.. The different size valve cover plate ?..
He didn't, and he would never tell anyone he had a B block, You had to find out by glancing in the engine compartment when he had it open, or twisting his arm to find out. You just had to know it was in there or you would have never found out. I was stunned the first time i heard the news, and everyone had a confused look on their face whenever they found out also.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
He didn't, and he would never tell anyone he had a B block, You had to find out by glancing in the engine compartment when he had it open, or twisting his arm to find out. You just had to know it was in there or you would have never found out. I was stunned the first time i heard the news, and everyone had a confused look on their face whenever they found out also.
You win...
Old 01-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
ford1

Fred, were you born pessimistic or did you grow into it as you got older, you seem to think every one is against you, i dont think you and i will ever be able to get along, and i dought if many others will be able either, so to keep this from getting nasty i am no longer going to read your posts or answer them, and i think it would be better for this forum if you did the same
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Fred, were you born pessimistic or did you grow into it as you got older, you seem to think every one is against you, i dont think you and i will ever be able to get along, and i dought if many others will be able either, so to keep this from getting nasty i am no longer going to read your posts or answer them, and i think it would be better for this forum if you did the same
First, I dont know where, or care where you got that idea.. Me & You, Whatever as they say.. I also will NOT read yours because ALL you do is slam FINE POINT CARS & THE OWNERS..
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
Cob
Administrator

Gents,

Driven cars, trailered show cars, parts cars....... that's what all of this is about.

When you fella's start focusing on the people and what they like and don't like and it isn't what you agree with, then all you do is invite other people to make other comments and then the subject turns into the people who own the cars and not the cars.

It seems to be a pattern here for a few and the people comments take over the whole post and unfortunatley I end up closing posts.

Cars guys - that's what it is all about.

Closed Thread