Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
allison-tech

Smile Treasure found in my Tudor!

Yesterday, I removed all of my seats (for the 1st time) and the floor mats to inspect the middle & rear floorboards. While cleaning out all the old debris & walnut shells I found a quarter, it was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it up a little and brought it in the house to show my wife. I figured I'd mount it somewhere in the car as a keepsake. One of my boys (a coin collector) took a look at it and got all excited, the date looked rubbed off to me, but he thinks its a 1916. He's taking it to a collector today to see if this can be verified. If he's right, this thing is worth $2,000! This got me wondering, how many others have found "treasures" while cleaning out their car for the 1st time. I'd like to hear what unusual things you guys have found.
allison-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Default Re: Treasure found in my Tudor!

When I first my got my Roadster, I pulled the seat cushions to give them a good scrubbing and found 2 original 3X spark plugs and the correct jack along with the remnants of the owner's manual. The cowl pocket had some papers that were so roach eaten I couldn't tell what they were.

While not Model A, I bought an unmolested '55 Olds some years ago.

Doing a cleanout of the car yielded a couple of condoms(still in the wrapper thankfully), Zippo lighter.

My '56 Pontiac had some 60s era nekkid girl photos under the back seat.

When I used to work for an exporter I'd find enough change in those old buses and semi's to cover my eats on the way home with some left over. I routinely found jewelry and other small trinkets in the buses, some of which were 14 or 24K gold.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
85930tudor

Send a message via Yahoo to 85930tudor

Ive found old change,dimes pennies ect A old planters peanut whistle and many mummiefied mice and snake skins
85930tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
ajbcc2

wow you guys are lucky...all I found in my ol car was a hole...just a big black bottomless hole with a little sign and an arrow pointing to the abyss that said..to rebuild throw money here...
ajbcc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
roccaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
Yesterday, I removed all of my seats (for the 1st time) and the floor mats to inspect the middle & rear floorboards. While cleaning out all the old debris & walnut shells I found a quarter, it was pretty dirty, so I cleaned it up a little and brought it in the house to show my wife. I figured I'd mount it somewhere in the car as a keepsake. One of my boys (a coin collector) took a look at it and got all excited, the date looked rubbed off to me, but he thinks its a 1916. He's taking it to a collector today to see if this can be verified. If he's right, this thing is worth $2,000! This got me wondering, how many others have found "treasures" while cleaning out their car for the 1st time. I'd like to hear what unusual things you guys have found.
$2,000 buys a lot of Model A Parts; what's on your list??
Old 12-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
allison-tech

I guess it all depends on its value. If it's just an old silver quarter, I think I'll mount it in the car as a memory. On the other hand, if it's really worth a lot, I'm sure my wife will have some input on this.....new update, my boy just got back. Good news! It is a 1916, however, its condition is not worth $2k, but it is worth $600 & thats still alot. It probably will go torwards more parts, maybe not, my wife is sittin over my shoulder and she just said, "Think so?!", Ha!, bet she wins!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
bogiediver

Got our '31 roadster 'kit' from brother-in-law - he had disassembled to update, but never got to it - for $3,000

He also gave a box of stuff...
- several quarts of non-detergent oil - "the only thing you want to use"
- an old torn vinyl spare tire cover
- an oil cloth spare tire cover printed with the figure of Roosevelt, holding a beer, with the word 'Prosperity'

Now, this last item...
Has a small tear in it, I was about to toss it with the torn vinyl one when my wife said hold it... took a picture, searched the web, talked to an auction house... first discussion was they want it on consignment to start at 1,800 with an estimated sell from 3,000 - 3,500. I made her verify this with them, reminding her to tell them about the tear... new pictures, showing the tear were sent. Now they say start at 1,000, sell 2,000-2,500. Have to remind her doesn't mean a thing until the check clears - but still pretty interesting...
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
John LaVoy

My sedan had a set of 21" tire chains under the seat.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
allison-tech

When I was a kid, my dad had an automotive trans. shop. He also did just about everything else, including body/paint. Behind his shop he had his own private "junk yard" w/about 100 cars. I used to pull the seats and look all around the interiors for stuff. Found all kinds of trinkets, money, ect.- I sure had a good time! Didn't take much to keep me happy then, and reading your similar stories now is pretty fun too!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Keith True

I found a Sears Defender 7 shot pistol in a tin under the back seat of my Tudor.A glass bottle of oil had broken in there too,turned to grease,and the pistol was in the lump.I was actually melting the grease with a torch looking for tools and useable hardware.The grease preserved it perfectly,and it shoots fine.In another tin I found some girlie books from the 40's.They were the hard-core ones for back then.They are all European printings,and high priced for the time.I found a set of unused tire chains,made for the A.There are three to a wheel,with the inside band a perfect fit to the contour of the A rim.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

On my 1929 AA CCPU on the door post I found the date milage up to 1952. It had 82000 miles on it and I bought it last year and it had 84000 miles on it.My truck is my avator
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
gweilbaker

After stripping the paint off my passenger door I found a "Pittsburgh Steel" company ink printed in the sheet metal.

gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
RcT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
I guess it all depends on its value. If it's just an old silver quarter, I think I'll mount it in the car as a memory. On the other hand, if it's really worth a lot, I'm sure my wife will have some input on this.....new update, my boy just got back. Good news! It is a 1916, however, its condition is not worth $2k, but it is worth $600 & thats still alot. It probably will go torwards more parts, maybe not, my wife is sittin over my shoulder and she just said, "Think so?!", Ha!, bet she wins!
Take a look at 1916 quarters on ebay. The prices are all over the place. If the dealer said it was worth $600, he could probably sell it for three times that amount.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
Vanspeed

They are extremely rare. Just a quarter in good shape from 1916 can be worth over 3000.00. The change found in my roadster is worth about 25.00, a 1910 penny, and two quarters, a 1936 and 1956. Too bad they were not 1916's!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Jason in TX

Keep an eye on this crummy 1916 standing liberty quarter that ends tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-Standin...3#ht_922wt_689

Judge if yours is better or worse and then decide if you want to put it on eBay. Don't sell it to the coin shop. He is going to buy to make a profit.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Clem Clement

I as well, misspent my youth in junk yards. Always some tools and change found me. my 29 Packardcame with shall change. The money remains in plain view so as not to mess with Lady Luck.
clem.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Charles Reese

don't want to steal the thread, but would like to know of a website that would help a non-collector determine approx value of US Coins and possibly an honest source for selling ... have a number of silver coins including late 1800's silver dollars.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Jason in TX

eBay.....
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #19
Al Bass

this lighter was found above the windshield in the wooden header
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3828.jpg (30.7 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3829.jpg (30.6 KB, 192 views)
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #20
John Duden

while not in a car, i was cleaning out an estate, My grandpa's cousine passed away, and every thing in the house was never touched, he was a horder so every thing was burried, ....I found a nickle in MINT CONDITON from 1899!!
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote