Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Turbos10

Default 51 Tudor Bump Steer Problems

Hello,

I am trying to find help with bump steer on my 51. I just went from a 15" tire to a 20" setup and I now have a huge problem because the new tires are not forgiving at all. This car is new to me, but the previous owner did an excellent job with the fabrication. I am thinking that the geometry is just a little off.

The car has spindles swapped side-to-side, with spring spacers to lower the spring 1" at the bottom for a total of about a 4" drop. Steering is via power rack and pinion rear mounted. The rack is from a small gm car and steers from the center so it has very long tie rods. They are at a slight upward angle in relation to the lower control arm, and the tie rod ends are no where close to the A arm pivot due to the design of the rack.

This said, what are my options without major reconstruction? I am thinking that removing the spring pocket spacers will decrease the angle variation between the lower control arm and the tie rod and bring them close to parallel. I have also seen spacers to lower the tie rod end 1" which would accomplish the same thing.

Does anyone have experience with a similiar setup and/or have suggestions?

Thanks!
Turbos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
George/Maine

Default Re: 51 Tudor Bump Steer Problems

This is a hamb topic.wtf get a fatman stub and start over or put back orginal.get rid of those fin wheels.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
hbleadsled

Default Re: 51 Tudor Bump Steer Problems

Hi Turbos10,first off this is a great site and good people, I would go back to the 15" wheels till you get sorted out, yes your geometry is a little off the tie rods need to be level ( parallel ) maybe putting the spindles back ,I am not sure on that one, a dropped spindle would work and keep your geometry right, I am using a ( 78-83 ) power Omni rear steer on my 51 ford my front end is lowered 3" and the tie rods are parallel. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote