Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
alan_d

Default Reliability of Early V8 and Highway Driving

[I hope this is the right place]

I'm interested in and trying to pinpoint what Truck I want to look for. I want one to use, not as my main truck, but as a 2nd truck of such. I want something I can use like a truck, and have lusted for a AA since seeing one a number of years ago. I won't be using it all the time, but I would want to haul lumber/timber and similar cargo with it, using it in the capacity of a flatbed as I use now. My current flatbed is a '97 with a 460 V8, so it's much larger capacity. I don't use my current flatbed to it's limit, so I'm pretty sure the AA/BB would suit me fine power wise. Like all things in life, more power is always welcome on old cars/trucks.

In trying to narrow this search down (no rush on my part), I come to the biggest difference between the AA and BB, that being the engine. Although there are other minor differences, this is the main one.

The simplicity of the 4 cylinder in the AA (and some BBs) seems to be a huge advantage. I do understand the V8 is a slightly more complicated motor, are they as reliable? Is more work often required on them to rebuild? The V8 was huge in Ford being able to turn around the company, and mostly because of the power and speed that most people desired.

In terms of power, the V8 has almost twice the HP, and speed is greatly improved, so I'm tending to lean towards a BB with the V8 in it as it seems better for any type of freeway driving. Another person implied these AA/BB trucks were not designed to run on the freeway, but there are people driving them all over youtube and other places.

Can some of you more knowledgeable folks who are more familiar with both of these engines offer some advice and/or the reliability of the early flathead V8 used in the BB trucks? Possibly a comparison between them and/or how you see both engines. I would appreciate it.

I understand that these are kind of like Apples and Oranges, and why I'm leaning towards the BB with the early V8 in it. There seem to be a LOT less of them though, and I suspect it's because Ford was having such a difficult time meeting the demands of the new V8 cars for a number of years. The V8 was instrumental in saving their company...I guess I'm getting a soft spot for that early V8.

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-13-2018 at 06:32 AM.
alan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Reliability of early V8 vs the 4 cyl as pertains to the AA/BB

I think a BB with an original V8 engine would be a very rare vehicle, most of them were 4 cylinder.

What year(s) are you considering?

Note that if you insure the vehicle as an antique you might have a clause in the policy that prohibits using it to haul lumber.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
mrtexas

You realize with the gearing available probably no more than 25mph due to very tall rear end gears? 5.11-7.25

http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-4000-rear-axle/

Last edited by mrtexas; 02-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
You realize with the gearing available probably no more than 25mph due to very tall rear end gears?
Is that true of the models with the 2-speed transmission also?

I've seen people saying they get 40mph comfortably on the AA.

I was hoping the V8 would get better speed, say 50-55mph.

The cars were rated much higher I thought and would do about 70-80mph, maybe I'm wrong. I would expect the flatbed to be slower, this is kind of true in general, but 25mph seems a bit conservative...

Could still work for what I want it for, as it won't see freeway per se, it will see some 50mph highways possibly...the immediate roads around my property are all 30 mph AFAIK. My street definitely is. To get to a market I would need to go about 5 miles down the road. Speed limit is 45mph possibly, but it gets out to the Highway that is definitely 50-55mph. Still, could work in that environment. I could drive slower on the 50mph Highway, not an issue. But to get around the lake would require some roads up to 50-55mph. I don't have a house on it now, so no worries. That is where I would end up keeping the AA/BB. I was hoping to be able to fetch trees that be within the 3000 lb. payload.

I need to do more research, hard to find too much on the BB. Not a lot of them, but a nice one just sold on ebay for $7500, with a V8. I know of one not too far from me, no bed, needs some work but runs which I've been thinking about...

Alan
Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I think a BB with an original V8 engine would be a very rare vehicle, most of them were 4 cylinder.

What year(s) are you considering?
Well, you don't get a lot of choice on years, but it seems twice as good as original Ford colors...LOL One just sold on ebay for $7500, it was a '34, and there's a '33 not too far from me without the bed, but has all the front cab/fender/rocker panels and V8. And it runs, so said.

I've *READ* that they were also made in '35, but have never seen any on the web in my searches. And in theory you may be able to find them in '32, but it seems the early BBs had the 4 cylinder engine.

I think the answer to your question is '33 or '34.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Note that if you insure the vehicle as an antique you might have a clause in the policy that prohibits using it to haul lumber.
Not within it's weight limitations? What is considered "hauling lumber" I wonder? If I go fetch a tree down the road that feel in a storm, the insurance won't cover me? I'm sure they could add that on, within the weight limits of the vehicle, even if excluded. Also, I could just get liability on the truck, that's what I do with most of my cars...

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
I think the answer to your question is '33 or '34.
I take that back so soon...here's what appears to be a BB on ebay that says it's a '35.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Ford-O...l/263478157920

I typically search for 1928 - 1935, since 1928 is pretty much when the AA started production.

Alan
Old 02-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

The one you listed on eBay is a REALLY nice truck . . . no idea what it will go for, but my guess is quite a bit more than the $7900 it is listed at now. These body/cab styles are very popular and even though it is a big stake-bed truck, somebody could take that whole body and build a 1/2 ton type truck out of it - so it holds a lot of value.

If you could get one in this sort of shape, you'd have an immediate and well sorted out truck to put to use tomorrow - to me that is a big benefit. I'd sure check into it a bit more! (Note, it has a later flathead - and that is probably not a bad thing).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
cas3

i think the brakes are bigger too on the later models than you will find on a AA
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
KDL

Wouldn't the ebay listing be a model 51?
I'd say top speed would be in the 40 MPH range.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Speed is not going to be much different between a V8 and a 4, the rear axle gear ratio is going to be the biggest factor. The gearing can be changed, but the gearing is going to dictate the speed range. I'm not very knowledgeable on the trucks in these years, if they came from the factory with different gear ratios based on engine type, then that would be a factor to consider.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
alan_d

Thanks for all of your input, appreciated. So it seems that there is little difference in the AA and BB and rear end would dictate ultimate speed.

Probably a sacrilege question, but can the gears be changed to get a little more speed out the 'ol gals, or is that not advisable?

Also, do any of you know if the BB came with a synchronized transmission, or was it the same as on the AA?

Seems they put a different transmission on the V8, so I wasn't sure about that either as they transitioned over to synchro somewhere in the 30s it would seem.

Alan
Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
GB SISSON

The 1 1/2 ton V8 trucks were called BB's for quite a few years, unlike the cars. I have had 3 AAs and a 32 BB and a 34 BB. I also had a 37 and currently have a 47 2 ton. Everything after the AAs were V8s. My first AA in 1972 had the usual worm drive rear end. 26 mph on the flat with the pedal on the floor. (I was 19). The next AA I was 45 and that had the rare 'high geared ' rear axle. It would do 40, quite handily. My last AA had the Warford 2 speed aux transmission with foot operated pedal. It was more like 'slow, and slower, meaning the split was for more capacity. Somewhere around 50 yrs old I bought a 40 1 1/2 ton. I loved the hydraulic brakes when loaded. At 64 I have settled into the 47 2 ton with 2 speed rear axle (also slow and slower) and HYDRAULIC brakes. This truck does 45 all day, not that I do. I love the V8s. The last pic is my '47 2 ton 59ab V8. They get under your skin, into your soul and you will never be the same. What ever way you go, you will be driving a totally outdated and very wild ride. I hope you are ready for it! It is a blast
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 in ana.jpg (72.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Boys on log truck.jpg (109.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3296.jpg (84.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4169.jpg (50.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg older trucks 029.jpg (55.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg older trucks 033.jpg (68.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4098.jpg (58.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3587.jpg (83.2 KB, 85 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-10-2018 at 09:49 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I think they are all "crash box" transmissions (no synchros). If you haven't driven one you will find it interesting.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #14
drolston

My brother restored my grandfathers 32 Ford stake body farm truck. It had the four cylinder. Right or wrong, we always referred to it as a Model B. When my granddad hauled a load of firewood from the farm to the cabin, he had to back up the big hill, because reverse was lower than low. Or maybe because the gravity gas flow worked better that direction. It would get to 40 mph on level ground. He got a much stronger International truck in 1949, but used the Ford regularly until he died. It got overhauled about every ten years and finally ran out of cylinder wall. My brother had to replace the engine, but it drives like new now.

My brother can shift without crashing the gears; I have not mastered that art. Even so, it is a joy to drive such a purely functional workhorse with so much family history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Ford Truck.jpg (89.2 KB, 80 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:23 PM   #15
GB SISSON

I think synchos came out in 1953. I had a '53 f350 pickup with synchro, but by then I was totally used to the crash box so I double clutched anyways. I still do in my '92 with the ZF 5 speed. Not sure why. It's in my soul.... Oh and your post was about reliability. Personally I have found the V8s far more reliable. The reason could be that by the time I got to the V8s I had more money and more knowledge, therefore I bought rebuilt stuff in advance, before I was stranded beside the road.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 02-10-2018 at 11:28 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #16
alan_d

GB

Thanks for the great info, I think I need to step back and re-think this. I had been looking at the early 40s pickups, and that might be something for me to think about, but I'm starting to think that I might be better off just staying with my current '97 F-Super Duty flatbed, and instead look for a 1/2-ton pickup with a V8 to replace the Tacoma I currently drive. It has a 1/2-ton cargo...

The speed could be a deal breaker for me.

What about moving into the late 30s, I saw a truck that was a '38-'39 flatbed, obviously that has the V8, but are they are faster than the AAs/BBs?

I know that there were 1/2-ton pickups from 32 on, are those any quicker than the AAs?

Going into the 50s, the trucks got pretty big, as did the engines. Looking for something with less fuel appetite.

BTW, you seems to do some logging yourself, I don't do too much but want to be able to fetch trees to turn into lumber.

Alan
Old 02-11-2018, 03:12 AM   #17
40 Deluxe

My thoughts: First, establish how much weight you plan to carry; second, what will be the length of your load; third, how fast do you want/need to travel. Now, pick a truck that fills these needs (consider also brakes-can you stop when some chowderhead on his/her cellphone pulls out in front of you? Also wheelbase-long logs on short wheelbase equals wheelies or at least poor steering response).
About the only reason for getting an antique truck is for the novelty of having something different. Which is fine, but if you just need to haul trees, it would be cheaper to find another 20 year old truck. Fuel mileage would be about the same, I would guess. With an AA or flathead V8, with a load on, it may not have enough power to pull high gear so you will be running at high RPM in third or underdrive. There goes your fuel mileage!
What about tires? An antique truck is likely to have antique tires as well! OK for parades, maybe, but not hauling loads. A 20 year old truck will likely have useable tires on it.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 AM   #18
alan_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
My thoughts: First, establish how much weight you plan to carry; second, what will be the length of your load; third, how fast do you want/need to travel.
Weight will always be more than you have, if you have a 1-1/2 ton truck, you'll have a 2-ton load to move...if you have a 2-ton, you'll have a 3-ton load...that's just the law of reality...

For all intents and purpose, I rarely even need 3000 lbs., but have moved loads in the 6,000 lb. range. I can use a trailer if needed.

Honestly, I move most things in my Tacoma, when I need to use the flatbed I need to move something heavy....cold be heavier than 1-1/2 ton.

Quote:
About the only reason for getting an antique truck is for the novelty of having something different. Which is fine, but if you just need to haul trees, it would be cheaper to find another 20 year old truck.
I'll be honest with you, I don't know why I like antiques. I was in the vintage guitar business for a number of years, but got out of it. I have always collected old stuff, I don't know why...and I'm a software engineer, yet most everything I collect is old mechanical machines, none of my machines have any computers hooked up to them.

You guys are actually making me realize something I've known for pretty much as long as I've owned my flatbed. A pickup is more practical, and I have said that many times...I think that is why the Express is attractive to people, because it's a much more practical truck that has a larger payload than the Model A Pickup.

I've been reading that most of the early V8 pickups will do 50-55mph and the late 30s and early 40s will do 60-65 is tuned. Some changed gears in the rear end, and stuff like that, but in general it seems that even the 1/2-ton V8 from 32-39 are capable of freeway speeds. This gets to the speed question you ask. I just want to be able to drive on the freeway at 55, even that will get people screaming and flipping you off, but at least you can't get arrested for going 55 if that is all your truck will do.

Quote:
Fuel mileage would be about the same, I would guess. With an AA or flathead V8, with a load on, it may not have enough power to pull high gear so you will be running at high RPM in third or underdrive. There goes your fuel mileage!
My current F-Super Duty gets about 10mph with no load, 9mph with 2,000 lb load and 8mph with 6,000 lbs....But I rarely use it. That would be the same with a AA or BB, but it won't do what my current flatbed does. I have cabinets for tools and a 60 gal. tank and pump I keep diesel in for my forklift.

Quote:
What about tires? An antique truck is likely to have antique tires as well! OK for parades, maybe, but not hauling loads. A 20 year old truck will likely have useable tires on it.
Good point also, BFGoodrich Commercial/ATs on my F-Super Duty, all 6 are almost new, great tires. Yeah, I would be stuck with the old ones on the AA or BB.

However, an Early V8 1/2-ton would probably be able to replace my daily driver. Wouldn't go as fast, but as long as it would go 55 I'm ok with that. Yeah, I want to drive something classic. I have an 911 Targa also, it's a fun car...it was my daily driver until about a year ago when I bought a Tacoma. My 911 is going up in value, worth over $30k nowadays...

Alan

Last edited by alan_d; 02-11-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #19
Kurt in NJ

I used to drive a 46 ton and half truck to flea markets, it always had at least 2 tons in it, it had the 2 speed rear, I usually kept it under 60, got 16-18 mpg with the load, had a 49 merc engine--- sold it to a guy that drove it to California in 4 days, must have driven over 60 most of the way, he had an airplane for the load, these trucks were routinely overloaded by a lot more than the rating
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
GB

Thanks for the great info, I think I need to step back and re-think this. I had been looking at the early 40s pickups, and that might be something for me to think about, but I'm starting to think that I might be better off just staying with my current '97 F-Super Duty flatbed, and instead look for a 1/2-ton pickup with a V8 to replace the Tacoma I currently drive. It has a 1/2-ton cargo...

The speed could be a deal breaker for me.

What about moving into the late 30s, I saw a truck that was a '38-'39 flatbed, obviously that has the V8, but are they are faster than the AAs/BBs?

I know that there were 1/2-ton pickups from 32 on, are those any quicker than the AAs?

Going into the 50s, the trucks got pretty big, as did the engines. Looking for something with less fuel appetite.

BTW, you seems to do some logging yourself, I don't do too much but want to be able to fetch trees to turn into lumber.

Alan
i have a 36 pickup, all pickups back then where 1/2 ton and then you had a Big Truck as i call them. they are 1 1/2 ton. i cant drive my 36 every day. it has a 411 rear in it with 7;50 16 tires. it will do 50 mph all day long. as far as fuel mileage, don't think about it , just put gas in it. my pickup gets about 10 mpg around town and a little more on the back roads. the brakes on it are all stock, mechanical. i will not drive on the freeway around hear, Santa Rosa, because the way people drive around

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote