Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
ttoldcarbuff7

Default tail lights and turn signals

Someone told me once that the Model A tail light could also be used as the turn signal as well as stop and tail lights. I can't remember if he was talking about an led conversion or what was happening. I can't believe it can be done with out changing the bulb socket to dual element bulbs. Anyone done this. I bought the wire harness that already has the signal wires contained in the loom.
ttoldcarbuff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Colorado Greg

Default Re: tail lights and turn signals

You can use the original tail lights for the rear turn signals. The tail light blinkers share the stop light (top bulb). You don't need to change anything with the tail lights and you can use bulbs or LED's. You can use cowl lights for the front or add lights to the bumper.
Hope that helps!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
2manycars

You do not need dual filament bulbs, as the 2 separate bulbs in the tail light serve the same purpose as a dual filament bulb in a newer car. The brake light wire goes to the turn signal switch, and that switch determines if the bulb will blink or stay on, depending on if the switch is in turn mode, or not, just like a modern car. You need 2 tail lamps, and you wire the stop light wire from the stop switch to the turn switch, then 2 wires go to the tail lamps, one marked left, one marked right. Front lights can be added, or other options for front. Your wiring harness that came with your turn switch should have all that information in the instructions.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Charlie Stephens

For visibility you need to flash your brake light filament off and on as a turn signal. If the brake light remains on while another filament flashes it will be difficult to see the turn signal.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
RichardW

I know that this will work as that is the way it has been done on modern cars for years. But it worries me to have half of my brake lights not working when the turn signal is on. We know that the A's have little enough illumination in the back especially compared to what most brain dead drivers are used to seeing. I know this doesn't help with your problem just something else to think about.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
That's why in the rear I put the between the bumper lights. These also light up when brakes are applied.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote