Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default mystery solved!

A while back I thought I had oil showing up in the coolant but it sank to the bottom of the plastic drain pan that sat for a few days as I didn't get around to emptying it. It looked like clean oil, felt like oil and i though it even smelled like oil, but it was not floating on the surface. So, as I have the radiator off, I did another Thermocure treatment to the water jacket to get rid any rust the first treatment didn't get as I only had it in for as day before I drained it out. This time I left in in for 5 days. I mixed it with water like it says to do. When I went to drain it off this time through the jury rig set up (the lower outlet pipe capped at one end and the brass drain at the bottom, low and behold, what oozed out but the same stuff I had mistaken for engine oil! It was pretty thick and I had to undo the pipe and whoosh>>> outcomes all the gunk. Sure enough, that was what it was and I was relieved to say the least. I really didn't want to tear the head off. With that said, I back flushed, top flushed the water jacket with hot water I'd say about 20 times and only now get few tiny particles of rust showing in the water in the drain pan. I bought a Gano filter to add when the new Brassworks radiator comes in about 3 weeks. What a trip it's been.

So folks, if you see what looks like oil in the coolant but sinks instead of floats......it the Thermocure you didn't quite get all out when you did the recommended two flushes

Don
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: mystery solved!

Glad to hear things turned out successfully. Could also have been grease, or some other additive previous owners had put into the coolant system. Looks like now you can feel good about not gunking up your new radiator.

Perhaps this is why some prefer to use a pressure washer when flushing a block?

Thanks for letting us know. You know have the knowledge to advise others!
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
Brentwood Bob

I have also heard of using a detergent as a pretreatment to remove the water pump grease residual.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
I have also heard of using a detergent as a pretreatment to remove the water pump grease residual.

I believe he had done this previously using a detergent, used white vinegar, and thermocure quite few times. I get the impressions his block must have been really loaded with grease or something, the way he described, it ozzed out when he removed the lower hoses/tube.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote