Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default cleaning spark plugs

do you use the boo value for the correct gap or a couple thou either side due to the type of driving we do

I assume all put the plugs back in different holes from whence they came?

oil the treads and the cylinder walls? (I do.)?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
old Tom

Default Re: cleaning spark plugs

Is that a Model A Sport coupe in the picture?
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Clem Clement

No late 30 Cabby. Thanks for asking
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Tinker

If reusing, clean, gap (I use a feeler about .025 - .028 (stock)). I just use some emery paper on my 18mm after a brush and some actone. You certainly can switch them out on cylinders.

Last edited by Tinker; 01-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
do you use the boo value for the correct gap or a couple thou either side due to the type of driving we do

I assume all put the plugs back in different holes from whence they came?

oil the treads and the cylinder walls? (I do.)?
I never heard of putting the plugs back in a different cylinder - is that an old school recommendation? (like rotating tires?)

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #6
john in illinois

I bead blast the electrodes to clean. I then clean threads on a wire wheel bench Grinder. I use anti seize on threads.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I never heard of putting the plugs back in a different cylinder - is that an old school recommendation? (like rotating tires?)

Mart.
It's an old "Snowmobilers Trick". Back in the day when most of the sleds were 2 cylinder, two cycle engines, it was the first thing we'd do out on the trail when a sled started running sour, usually a result of one carburetor malfunctioning. It would usually run better and hopefully clean out the fouled plug. This, of course, after going through the spare plugs we all carried. Oh, for the "good ol' days".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Gene1949

Cleaning and gapping plugs is important to be sure BUT making sure the electrode is square on the shoulders is equally [more so] important.
If they look like the end of your little finger its time to pitch them. 6 volt systems or "high performance" 12 volt coils were notorious for eroding the electrode
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
eddie48

I remember seeing information many years ago about cleaning sparkplugs by sand-blasting them. (Remember the old spark plug cleaner machines?) Don't know if the same situation with bead blasting, but the amount of blasting media left on the plugs, even after blowing them off with compressed air was significant. Eventually that would get back into the engine with unwanted abrasion now taking place to the cylinder. The recommendation was to NEVER blast the plugs to clean them. Replace them instead.
eddie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
37 Cab

If I need to clean a plug I hold it with pliers and heat it with a propane torch until the insulator around the electrode glows red. Burns off all the carbon and they look like new when they cool.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
B-O-B

eddie48 you can still get those spark plug cleaners @ H F
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
I bead blast the electrodes to clean. I then clean threads on a wire wheel bench Grinder. I use anti seize on threads.

John
I've used glass bead blasting to clean plugs for years, but I make sure all the bead residue is totally cleaned out of the inside of plug. You definitely do not want any of that residue getting into the cylinders.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #13
Drbrown

I use a wire gauge to test gaps and as said above, file the electrode so it has a flat top. Once clean and tested under compression for performance, I personally have never worried about mixing plugs among the different cylinders.

Two options re individual fouling plugs: Replace all the plugs with hotter plugs which seems to be the standard procedure, or if one or more cylinders are by-passing more oil than the majority of the others, some economy-minded "old-times" I knew would just put a hotter plug in that/those particular cylinder and keep track of its proper location when reinstalling, and then just clean-up and reinstall the plugs that are still in good condition.

Gap adjustment: I have no personal experience with this but in working with Bubba and others re distributor set-up, I understand that plug gap may effect the performance/life of electronic modules in distributors. (coils too?)
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
john in illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I've used glass bead blasting to clean plugs for years, but I make sure all the bead residue is totally cleaned out of the inside of plug. You definitely do not want any of that residue getting into the cylinders.
Yes I use air to remove loose beads and then rinse in solvent tank, then air again then visually inspect. The same procedure that I used on aircraft when I worked on them.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
Clem Clement

New Plugs???? back in the day we never had the $$ for new stuff. First then when the junk yard opened was grab the plugs from any new-in Junkers. Then grab fuses and light bulbs and head lights. then clean shiny round top screws for the door edges and scuff plates.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
Mart

Thanks for the background re switching the plugs around. I can see the logic behind it. I must admit I tend to put them back in the same hole, never really thought about it.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #17
larry butcher

My "runner" is a '38 Lincoln Zephyr Conv. Coupe and has been on thr road since 2004 . i have 2 sets of H-10 ( 12 ea. set. Every season , remove the set of 12
and put aside. During the winter I clean up the spare set (scrape- no blasting)
regap and paint the body with charcoal grill paint. REPLACE THE GASKET!!!
Install , torque until gasket crushes down. Never had a miss.
larry butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
Bored&Stroked

I must admit - I call Jegs and order another set of NGKs! Given the cost, I just don't put any time into them anymore. Also, I've had bad experiences with Champion plugs that are fouled - once they foul, just seems they never want to run correctly again (regardless of cleaning/gapping them). I've had this experience at the race track as well - if we have an ignition issue and wash down a set of plugs - in many cases they won't fire again.

Don't ask me why/how, but I had to prove it to my race team a few different times!

Story: Couple years ago I arrived at El Mirage to race the FlatCad car (big blown flathead Cadillac engine). Anyway, I arrived a couple hours late and when I got there everybody was all stressed out - seems they tried to start the car (fuel injected). It coughed a few times and would not start (they cranked it multiple times). I asked them if they happened to put a LOT of Alky down the injector when they tried to start it??? Everybody said the magneto/ignition had failed - and on and on. Anyway I told them they washed the plugs down and that was the issue - nobody believed me. I swapped in a brand new set of NGKs and it fired right up. From that point forward, they decided to believe me on the issue. The whole ignition system was my setup - so they left me alone from that point forward. (MSD ProMag, MSD Grid control, etc).

The Champion race plugs were the worst, but I've even seen it with a new set of NGKs.

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 01-08-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #19
ford38v8

My High School Auto Shop had a sand blast plug cleaner. The Teach instructed us to always note the condition of plugs on removal, to clean & replace them in different cylinders, to get a feel for what is happening in each cylinder and of course, the actual condition of the plug itself. Remember those yardsticks with holes for the plugs? That, gentlemen, may just be the origin of the plug swap story...
Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #20
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post

John
I have a soda master attachment on my TP cabinet just for this "delicate" stuff, they look brand new when done with no blast residue, compressed air clean. Re-set the gaps and there you go.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote