Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #21
Vic Piano

Default Re: MAC's Auto Parts.

Joblot is outstanding, and James is super to deal with. Before James, Ray was the parts man to go to. I started going to Joblot in 1965, at the tender age of 16, when I bought my first car, a '48 Ford TuDor Sedan. Back in those days, they let me go into the warehouse and search for parts on my own. Most of what they had was NOS. They were, and continue to be, an excellent source.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

JOHNNY 1948: Maybe we'd all feel better if you'd explain to us what the problem is/was ??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
JOHNNY1948

SPEEDWAY is very good.
JOHNNY1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
I stopped using them because of shipping costs also. Shipping is expensive, but theirs is just obscene.
When I saw the initial post I went "oh no not again, another bashing post", but the above comment I could not resist agreeing with. Just plain OBSCENE shipping charges. $50 to ship a carburetor!?, when it could go USPS for $12 and be there in two days.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #25
oldskool

ordered some small parts from macs,over $17 dollars in shipping,this could have been in a small flat rate box for $5.50..joblot uses small flat rate boxes for small stuff and I will never use macs again .
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
JOHNNY1948

1931 FLAMINGO, I'm sorry my post made you feel worse, that wasn't my intention. As I suspected, many others on here have or had similar complaints. (and that somewhat made me feel better) You know, misery loves company.
JOHNNY1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
Bassman/NZ

Macs gives me good service but their shipping is very high. Same with Speedway, I went to order $75 parts from Speedway, and the shipping was $119 (to NZ) giving a total of $194! I cancelled the order. I have found C&G and Reds to be reasonable with shipping.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
51504bat

Haven't ordered from Mac's in a while and only did because they had a free shipping special. If I can't get it locally my first vendor of choice is Joe' Antique Auto. Good prices, fast shipping at a fair price, AND he knows his stuff. IMO.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #29
Royal Ryser

CT AV8, thanks for the tip on Joblot. I have been on the Fordbarn about 10 years and still hear about new vendors every now and then.
How about somebody providing the names and addresses of all of the vendors available, here on the Fordbarn for all to see? That would be especially useful to new Barners.
I know about:
Mac's- MacsAutoParts.com
cgfordparts.com
joblotauto.com
bobdrake.com
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #30
Talkwrench

Ahh this chestnut.
I have to agree the shipping is high, but for me in the most isolated city Perth Western Australia I had a starter motor turn up in three days! And the ordering online is very easy. I do try C&G first, forget about Drakes pfft!. I tried to look at JobLot the other day and couldn't get them online?? I think if they reviewed their shipping they would get more business.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #31
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Ryser View Post
CT AV8, thanks for the tip on Joblot. I have been on the Fordbarn about 10 years and still hear about new vendors every now and then.
How about somebody providing the names and addresses of all of the vendors available, here on the Fordbarn for all to see? That would be especially useful to new Barners.
I know about:
Mac's- MacsAutoParts.com
cgfordparts.com
joblotauto.com
bobdrake.com
www.joesantiqueauto.com
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #32
johnh7

Hi guys, just FYI I sent the link to this thread to Mac's. They can't fix it unless they know it is broken. Now they know. I also wrote them about changing ford part numbers and how it makes it harder for us to locate the correct part. Let's see if it accomplishes anything. I figure I can be quiet and be part of the problem or tell them and possibly be part of the solution. I hope it helps.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #33
johnh7

51504bat how is it that you know what 5150 of the California Health and Safety Code is? Former Cop or work in the health profession? I am a retired California Cop is why I am asking and I have used that section many times.

Live for today, but save for tomorrow!
johnh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #34
Flatkid8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY1948 View Post
Anyone here bought from MAC's? I did and never will again. NEVER!
I washed my hands of Macs a couple months ago...customer service is horrible at best. After placing a $500 online order for various parts and receiving the order, I noticed the idler arm was missing. Due to being in a time crunch to get the car back together, I contacted them the next day and was told even though the idler arm was listed online as "in stock" it was on a 2 week backorder. They apologized and made arrangements to drop ship the part and assured me I would have it within 2 weeks. Every 2 weeks for the next 6 I was fed the same line. The last straw came when I called to speak with a "supervisor" about the matter and was told "we sell parts to thousands of people every day...I don't have time to track down your $30 part".

This isn't the first time I've experienced issues like this with them but it will certainly be the last. I got a chuckle last week when a friend mentioned he had just ordered the same idler arm a few days ago and they are still passing out the same line 2 months later...

Also, someone had mentioned they were now owned by Ecklers and this is correct. I also had similar experiences last year while spending thousands of dollars through Ecklers buying parts for an Impala restoration. I guess the moral of the story here is a little courtesy and good customer service goes a long way and Mac's is a great example on how NOT to treat customers in my book.

Dennis
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #35
JOANNEM

Being new to the Ford Barn & not knowing that much about cars has been a challenge. So I have to ask a lot of questions and that could be irritating to some vendors. But my luck with Mac's is better than All Ford. I had to return parts to Mac's & All Ford Parts on the same day. Mac's gave me a credit within 48 hours. All Ford took 6 weeks! I had to call All Ford and ask why I hadn't gotten my credit & the first time they said I had to wait till John or Jeff got back from a show. They didn't call me when they returned from the show.
It wasn't a huge amount & frankly I forgot about it. I then called again & finally got the credit. I won't use those guys again! If they can't return my call or provide a credit I will take my business elsewhere. I find that The Early Ford Store people are very helpful & shipping is pretty standard.
JOANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #36
Ab4875

@Johnh7 5150 was the title of a Van Halen album, title taken from the code.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(album)
Ab4875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #37
TJ

johnh7, I too wondered about 5150bat's screen name. I'm also a retired peace officer and figured it meant he was "crazy4" big a** trucks.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
wex65

I placed an order with MACs to get a chrome surround for a 32 grille to me overnight in time for a show. I was livid when it turned up (just dont ask about the cost of shipping, several orders of magnitude more than the cost of the part but the overnight bit was my choice) BUT they had packed it (being 25.5 inches across) into a 24 inch box and creased the chrome. The part was all but useless. So I had a large bill and nothing to show for it.

I called them and after 10-15 mins on 'hold' just gave up in disgust. I have ordered from them a couple of times but never again. If they cram a delicate part into a box too small to hold it they are not a firm I want to deal with. As we say back in the UK, a bunch of cowboys.
wex65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #39
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh7 View Post
Hi guys, just FYI I sent the link to this thread to Mac's. They can't fix it unless they know it is broken. Now they know. I also wrote them about changing ford part numbers and how it makes it harder for us to locate the correct part. Let's see if it accomplishes anything. I figure I can be quiet and be part of the problem or tell them and possibly be part of the solution. I hope it helps.
Unfortunately Ford is probably behind their changing part numbers. They claimed the numbers were their intellectual property and wanted to charge a royalty for using them. I don't know how much they wanted to charge but with large corporations involved it was probably more than most businesses wanted to absorb. In all fairness to Ford it was probably done to hinder aftermarket competition with lower quality products on the newer cars.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #40
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Unfortunately Ford is probably behind their changing part numbers. They claimed the numbers were their intellectual property and wanted to charge a royalty for using them. I don't know how much they wanted to charge but with large corporations involved it was probably more than most businesses wanted to absorb. In all fairness to Ford it was probably done to hinder aftermarket competition with lower quality products on the newer cars.

Charlie Stephens
I disagree, if it's not an OEM part they at least are allowed to use the part number if they say interchanges with Ford part number......
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote