Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default sun visors , Right and Left ??

On a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon , are the right and left side sun visor arms specific to each side , therefor having different part numbers? Or are the two sides identical? Maybe somebody with a FORD TEXT reference parts book could answer that question.
Thanks for your reply.
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
steve fritz

Default Re: sun visors , Right and Left ??

Let me explain a little more why I ask this question on the visors. Seems to me that the visor bracket would be designed to allow you to swing the visor over to the side , to provide shade from the side windows. So I am thinking that the right and left side brackets would have to be mirror images of each other in order to allow this visor rod movement either swinging left or right. Ford usually ends the part number with a different digit when a part is designated right side or left side. The two brackets I have for this car are BOTH the exact same part number. So I'm thinking maybe I have two brackets for the same side , rather than left or right side.
Any info on the part numbers would be helpful.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
58Yeoman

On my 58 Chevy, they are the same. The mounting holes in the roof are at a slight angle, allowing the arm to move in the correct direction. If you will notice, the arm should swing 360*, so it should work on either side. Maybe Ford is different?
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #4
fordor41

I'm not sure on L & R but I do know if the bracket is not indexed on the ceiling correctly they will be OK above the windshield but will pivot downward if they are moved to over the side window. The plate with 3 screws can be rotated to give 3 different positions and only 1 is correct
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
54vicky

there are usually part numbers cast into the brackets.odd even right left
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:53 AM   #6
steve fritz

yes there is , but BOTH end in 422 , are these right side or left side arms ?
Old 08-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #7
dmsfrr

When there is an odd / even number distinction between left and right handed parts...
the odd number is 'left' and the even number is the 'right hand' side. (as you're sitting in the car facing forward)

I have a spare pair of what appear to be oem sun visor arms (for '56/'57 Bird) they are right & left handed.
Part numbers: BAA-4004122-A and BAA-4004123-A

I don't know if the visors for full-sized 50's Fords are R & L handed, but they may be.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-11-2020 at 01:34 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Where is KULTULZ when ya need him???
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
54vicky

you have 2 rights
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
Hot Rod Reverend

the hardtops have different part numbers so there is a "left" and a "right" as it were... for the sedans and wagons... both should read BN 700 4122 I believe and they should be the same bracket for both sides.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The Ford Text & Part Number catalog lists what they refer to as an Arm and Bracket Assy-less visor with P/N B6A7004144-AP with a quantity of 2 per unit. So a person can tell that this number replaces any earlier numbers since it is a 1956 based number. It is listed as fitting many 1952 through 1956 cars including the 59A & 59B ranch wagons since it has no soft trim visor included. An older part than 1956 would have a different number if any numbers still exist on there. It does indicate that there is no right or left so they should be interchangeable. It also states; paint to match - rod length 10.5" - cut to fit, so this further indicates that the late replacement part may require some work to get it to fit for different years or applications.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #12
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
On a 55 Ford Ranch Wagon , are the right and left side sun visor arms specific to each side , therefor having different part numbers? Or are the two sides identical? Maybe somebody with a FORD TEXT reference parts book could answer that question.
Thanks for your reply.
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I'm not sure on L & R but I do know if the bracket is not indexed on the ceiling correctly they will be OK above the windshield but will pivot downward if they are moved to over the side window. The plate with 3 screws can be rotated to give 3 different positions and only 1 is correct
Steve Fritz,
You can try mounting the visor arms you have to the windshield frame where they would go. Note the rotation of the bracket as fordor41 mentioned.
If you can mount each arm into the existing holes so the rod stays effectively level when moved from the windshield to the side window, you've answered your question.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post
If you can mount each arm into the existing holes so the rod stays effectively level when moved from the windshield to the side window, you've answered your question.
The silver 3-hole brackets themselves are symmetrical and will mount either R or L.
The question is if it is possible to rotate the arm toward the side windows regardless which one you put on there.
Go ahead Steve and try this, but when attempting to rotate the arm, don't force it more than should be necessary for fear of breaking the spring, tearing up the punched down end or worse, cracking the mounting bracket.

The idea I had is to put the bracket in a workbench vise (surrounded by a 1/8" thick soft rubber pad). Ummm, yes I have such things here. Orient the bracket so that the backside is facing you. Don't crush the pot-metal bracket with force. You only need enough clamp to hold it snug. Now rotate the arm carefully in the direction the side window would be if it were installed on the car. Don't take your eyes off the spring while turning the arm. If the arm hangs up before you get to 90 degrees from the windshield position, STOP. Turn back to windshield position and try going the other way. If you can successfully turn the arm 90 degrees in the opposite direction, install that bracket on the side it corresponds to. Repeat procedure for the second bracket. But this time, you must turn the arm in the opposite direction as the one before.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

BTW, once you get this figured out, plaster that spring behind the bracket with lubriplate prior to installing the visors in the car.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #15
steve fritz

Thanks to all you guys for your comments and suggestions. Bottom line , looks like the T-Birds , convertible and hardtops all called for seperate right/left visor arms. The last digit changed on the part number , 422 for right , 423 for left. Whereas the sedans and Wagons used the same part number for BOTH sides , they are interchangeable. The bracket mounting pattern on the sedans ans wagons allows you to mount them in only one configuration.
So thanks again everyone.
Steve
Got the windshield and back glass installed yesterday , working on the side cargo area glass now. Making good progress , should have on the road yet this Fall.
If I could ever figure out how to post pictures to this Ford Barn site , I would do so.
Years ago I had no problems , but now I just get error message and nothing loads??
I am not a computer guru for sure.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:36 PM   #16
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
If I could ever figure out how to post pictures to this Ford Barn site , I would do so.
Years ago I had no problems , but now I just get error message and nothing loads??
I am not a computer guru for sure.
The "file size" of each photo has to be under 2mb or they won't load as an attachment.