Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #61
marko39

Default Re: So much for Irish Spring and Dryer Sheets.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Didn’t read all but I’ve had success w Tomcat bait! Don’t even put in the little bait feed box. Just put 2 it 3 blocks around 3 car garage in corners. They definitely eat it then go look for water & die usually outside if no water in garage. I’ve had success w Antifreeze in small low side pans like pie pans. They love the stuff ang go away & die. Both seem to keep out of car but w antifreeze I’ve seen smelled them dead inside more than not. Obviously not a good idea w pets!
I visited my brother last year with my dog. We were in his barn when he noticed 2 blocks of tomcat poison were missing, dog ate them. It was Sun. And had to take dog for an emergency visit to vet. 2 hours and 400.00 later dog ok. Vet got him to upchuck some of it and said if he were smaller it would have killed him as that stuff is a neurotoxin with no antidote.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #62
AnthonyG

Did Say NOT a good idea w pets! Either antifreeze or Mouse bait will make pets sick or worse!
Old 02-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #63
ford38v8

Quote:
Did Say NOT a good idea w pets! Either antifreeze or Mouse bait will make pets sick or worse!
There is no poison that selectively kills only rodents. All animals in the food chain are at risk, including animals that eat the poisoned animals.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #64
Tinker

Hawks, owls, eagles, minks... snap trap them mice. No worries there will always be more mice. Outside of roaches they will outlive us all.

Bucket method where it traps the mice with antifreeze is fine. Straight poison is bad.

There is no benefit to poisoning mice or rats. They either smell your shop up for months when they die in the wall or they could poison something else. I've never had an issue seeing a rodent and putting a snap trap out with peanut-butter and not getting it the next day. Just keep traps loaded with bait.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-07-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #65
mike42

It's funny as hell to see all the replies to my post ! The little buggers draw a lot of interest for sure. Someone mentioned moth balls and I've used them too, but no luck there either.

Thx....Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #66
mfirth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Someone on the Early V8 Club uses Renzits "After the rain" air freshners...2 of em in the car. I've used them for 2 years & D-con by the door....so far so good. Car airs in a day, but the sent is nice....just not for mice. I HOPE !
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #67
justold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Tinker, I use those victor traps. They are the best I have used, but it seems that the newer ones do not have the "hair trigger" that the older ones have, and you have to tweak the trigger a little. I was having the mice steal the peanut butter without setting off the trap. I dug out some older ones, and they worked within 10 min. of being set.
put the peanut butter on a peace of cotton from a Q tip and bait the trap with that.
Had them getting in a kitchen cabinet once , they were so small the trap caught them by tail and back legs .
justold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:47 AM   #68
cajunfirehawk

My shop is located next to pasture land and we get them big fng rats! Made the mistake of leaving the garage door open recently and walked in there later that night after I closed the door and me and the rat met, later that night I put two sticky pads down w/peanut butter, one was over turned the next day and we never found the other one or the dead rat? Did find some fur but nothing else, we have 3 cars stored in that shop, plus my zero turn and a lot of stuff/parts in boxes, always leery of mice and rats.

1936 FORD Tudor Slantback

"cajunhotrodder" on instagram/youtube
cajunfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #69
cas3

you just need to train them a bit, then its not so bad having them around.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIc-Eeh7IUY
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #70
AnthonyG

That’s funny, who’da thunk. Maybe it’s a Pack Rat and the plastic container is his nest
Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 PM   #71
glennpm

ditto on the Tomcat bait. I wiped out the mice population in my house and garage and have seen no signs in over a year. i check on the blocks I've put around and not even a nibble since I wiped them out.

glenn

Quote:
Didn’t read all but I’ve had success w Tomcat bait! Don’t even put in the little bait feed box. Just put 2 it 3 blocks around 3 car garage in corners. They definitely eat it then go look for water & die usually outside if no water in garage. I’ve had success w Antifreeze in small low side pans like pie pans. They love the stuff ang go away & die. Both seem to keep out of car but w antifreeze I’ve seen smelled them dead inside more than not. Obviously not a good idea w pets!
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #72
4dy

warning on sticky traps * * if you don't nail them to something lots heavier than the rat they will flip and flop all over your shop and leave a sticky, bloody, hairy mess. Ask me how I know this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Had the mice in my garage and then in my kitchen two weeks ago. They stole the bait off the snap traps and didn't set them off. Got some sticky traps and that was the end of them.
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #73
4dy

This trap has a tube to put in the peanut butter which is almost impossible for the rat to eat without setting the trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Had the mice in my garage and then in my kitchen two weeks ago. They stole the bait off the snap traps and didn't set them off. Got some sticky traps and that was the end of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rat-Traps1-696x397.jpg (32.6 KB, 24 views)
4dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #74
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justold View Post
put the peanut butter on a peace of cotton from a Q tip and bait the trap with that.
Had them getting in a kitchen cabinet once , they were so small the trap caught them by tail and back legs .

Sometimes you have to do a little bending of the trigger rod "thingie". Put two face to face, if they are eating one they step on the other. Also smear the peanut butter on the spring and other places. Cheap traps.

Most sticky traps leave them alive and then you have to deal with that. But they do work.

When I was living in Florida we would get fruit rats. Had a grapefruit, orange, and avocado trees. Think I would take out about a dozen a yr with rat snaps. Creepy rodents.

Up here we have lots of nature around. Eagles (a week ago I was just watching 3 eagles eating a rabbit on the ice just outside my window), owls, minks, etc. So just not going to use poison personally.

My neighbor likes those also 4dy.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-12-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #75
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Bucket method where it traps the mice with antifreeze is fine. Straight poison is bad.

No poison here! Five gallon bucket with just about six or seven inches of plain water in bucket. Dump the bucket and the carcasses the next morning. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #76
54vicky

I found using a piece of thin wire to tie a piece of bacon to the trigger would get them every time.they tug on the bacon and die I also smear some bacon fat on the trap near trigger they get comfortable being near then get brave.works for rats as well
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #77
Wat-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
No poison here! Five gallon bucket with just about six or seven inches of plain water in bucket. Dump the bucket and the carcasses the next morning. DD

I have a toilet I built a frame work to set on top of instead of the bucket. All you have to do is flush to get rid of the critters!
Wat-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #78
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wat-0 View Post
I have a toilet I built a frame work to set on top of instead of the bucket. All you have to do is flush to get rid of the critters!
=================================================

Does that turn them into "Sewer Rats" then

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0GHWww7Kc

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #79
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post

It absolutely can do that. The only water normally remaining in those pipes is the water in the bowl of your toilet. If you flush a live rodent, he's likely to want to continue living by climbing back up away from the water at lower levels, then fall right back into your toilet bowl. Don't let your wife read this post!

In a related instance, I had a basement with a drainage pipe in the concrete piped directly to the storm sewer. Its cover screen became damaged, after which my basement was invaded by literally dozens of sewer rats. Trap the rats and cover the drainage pipe, no more rats.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #80
Wat-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny View Post

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh0GHWww7Kc

They have drown by the time I get to flush them!
Wat-0 is offline   Reply With Quote