Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
saabvol

Default Removing and put back rear window Ford 1956

Hi
I am going to change my old headliner in my 1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan.
Then i am intend to take away the rear window. And of course put it back with a new sealer.
Is there anything I hav to think of when i am doing this?

Regards

Mikael
saabvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Removing and put back rear window Ford 1956

It was in the early '90's when I removed and re-installed my back window glass with new rubber gasket from Dennis Carpenter.
1) I suggest NOT getting a new gasket if the old gasket can be cleaned and still pliable enough to be re-used. The modern gaskets are not exactly as the original and do not fit right to suit me, but my gasket at least does not leak water in.
2) When installing the new headliner, I had both the spray on stuff and a can of yellow adhesive that you can brush-on. I used the brush-on stuff around the top and sides of the window opening where the headliner will go. It worked very well and held the headliner in place without fail during the window glass re-installation.
3) I guess you do know that the stainless steel trim pieces need to be inserted back into the rubber prior to installing the window in the car.
4) When I did it, I had to do it by myself. IMO, it is a minimum (3) man job to install a windshield or back window in a car window channel like this.

Follow the guidelines in the Ford car shop manual
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
saabvol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
It was in the early '90's when I removed and re-installed my back window glass with new rubber gasket from Dennis Carpenter.
1) I suggest NOT getting a new gasket if the old gasket can be cleaned and still pliable enough to be re-used. The modern gaskets are not exactly as the original and do not fit right to suit me, but my gasket at least does not leak water in.
2) When installing the new headliner, I had both the spray on stuff and a can of yellow adhesive that you can brush-on. I used the brush-on stuff around the top and sides of the window opening where the headliner will go. It worked very well and held the headliner in place without fail during the window glass re-installation.
3) I guess you do know that the stainless steel trim pieces need to be inserted back into the rubber prior to installing the window in the car.
4) When I did it, I had to do it by myself. IMO, it is a minimum (3) man job to install a windshield or back window in a car window channel like this.

Follow the guidelines in the Ford car shop manual
Thanks Dave

This will help me a lot,

Regards
Mikael
Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
JeffB2

Check youtube.com for installing a bow type headliner.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
saabvol

Thanks Jeff IŽll do that.

Regards
Mikael
Old 12-23-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
frank long island

another trick is use para cord / 1/4 inch clothes line in the gasket to pull back into channel from inside the car
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Oldmics
BANNED

A steamer is the best trick to remove the inevitable wrinkles in a new headliner.

Ask me how I know

Oldmics
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
saabvol

Thanks for all this will help. me .

regards

Mikael
Old 01-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
milo

Some very helpful tips...
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

I seem to recall that when I installed the headliner in my '55, that the very last bow ahead of the back window was held tight by two spring-wire clips that clipped into the last header bow and pressed into a hole in the back window superstructure, which held the headliner real tight back there. Thus, there was no need to use a steamer or anything to get wrinkles or kinks out.
The worst thing about installing a headliner is working with that yellow glue at the top of the front window and top and sides of the back window. I'm not complaining about the glue. That yellow glue is the best on the market, but you gotta treat your materials right to get it to work well. It is necessary to have the right temperature ('90's preferably) and you need to have worked out some kind of mechanism to hold the materials temporarily while the glue is drying. You always get some glue on your hands which transfers to fingerprint spots on the headliner that need to be cleaned off immediately with solvent.
That was the first time I ever tried installing a headliner and hoped it was the last (but it wasn't). When the Courier came along in '96 (what was I thinking), it had to be all stripped down and redone too. But it was easier the second time around.
Now I truly swear that I am absolutely certain I will never install another headliner again for the rest of my life! Ha
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote