Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #41
36 ford

Default Re: MAC's Auto Parts.

In response to this topic I emailed Mac's about the criticism toward their shipping charges discussed on the Ford Barn and suggested they do some "damage control"
and this was the response I received:

We are aware of that sir and we do take into consideration all complaints / suggestions. It has been brought up to upper management. If I could change it myself I would.

Thank you,
Kelsey G
Online Customer Support
[email protected]
1-800-777-0948
MAC's Antique Auto Parts
www.macsautoparts.com
Your One Stop Source For Quality Part and Accessories for Your 1909-70's Ford & Mercury
An Eckler's Automotive Company

36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #42
Mike51Merc

I've been watching this thread and kept quiet till now, generally because I've been pretty happy with Mac's parts.

I just placed a $400 order and was charged almost $50 in shipping. Nothing oversized, nothing too large or heavy. The shipping policy has to change or I'm done with them. You can't base shipping costs on the purchase price. The shipping costs should bear a relationship to the size of the package and the seller should strive to ship at the most cost-effective rates. Mac's offers choices for shipping ---- bad, worse than bad, and awful. Hint: Ever see the USPS commercials for flat-rate boxes? They really work!

Add this to the fact that Dearborn and Mac's are now jointly owned, and we have an emerging monopoly that can soon dictate pricing as well.

They send me discount emails AFTER I place my order which is like adding insult to injury. It's like they're playing the big-box retailer games. Lower prices to lure people in and then hammer them with shipping overcharges.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #43
Russ/40

Mike, you nailed the problem. Shipping based on price of the item purchased is ludicrous. A very small expensive item ends up with ridiculous shipping costs. I suspect they do what they do to make life simple for them. Too much effort to be considerate.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #44
lonewolf

Most of the stuff mac sells is made buy carpenter or some else. I try to buy from whoever makes the product. Ifs there is a problem they know the product and can help.

SPEEDWAY IS THE WALMART OF SPEED SHOPS. They have screwed over many small businesses including the stromberg co. Jamie jordan seats etc. I refuse to buy there indonesian parts.
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:16 AM   #45
Flatkid8

From a business standpoint, I believe they would come out ahead if discounts were offered over a certain dollar amount spent. For example...I buy parts from Summit Racing all the time and the majority of the time they offer free shipping on orders over $99 which encourages people to buy more to meet the required amount, unlike Mac's who's shipping motto should be "thank you for your order...now please bend over".

I wish this thread would have started a couple months ago when I was still smoldering...ive since had a chance to cool off a little. However, let the record show I will never buy so much as a cotter pin from Macs ever again even if they paid me for the shipping...(reference my previous ranting post)

Dennis

Last edited by Flatkid8; 06-07-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #46
tiger.1000

Moan as we may about parts suppliers and in fact almost any other supplier of virtually anything from a peanut to a motorcar; they got us snookered !

I wonder if MACS read these threads? I suppose they do? Do they really care?
NOT ON YOUR NELLY ! (English phraseology ! )

One must assume that they have a massive customer base and if a handful of "car nuts" go elsewhere, do they really care? Of course not......one customer goes and another two pop up !

Whether it's your broadband or telephone provider, car dealership, electric supply company; they're generally a sad bunch of people.

In the good ole days garages were run by car salesmen who generally knew their product and were pretty good at selling it. Buy a car from Joe and the Ford dealership and he usually had you, your kids and their kids as customers for ever.

You just didn't even think of going anywhere else.

The internet has created a different kind of market. Press a few buttons on your I-phone; transfer some cash and "bingo" a new car arrives on your driveway !

Take away the vendor's profit and lose the old fashioned service.

Here in the UK garages and pubs are closing at the rate of one a week. A row of computer designed houses appear in their place.

Buy your beer from the supermarket, drink it at home glued to the TV or your I-pad
and put the publican out of business.

Today dealerships are run by accountants who don't know their ass from their elbow, nor a wing from a bumper (English language)....they don't care about cars or even customers; JUST MONEY and the slickest way of generating it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR ! ! !

However; sometimes there;s an exception to every rule. The other day my 6 year old DYMO electric label printer stopped working.
I phoned the DYMO help line in London. After a few rings the ring-tone changed and I suspected the number had been re-directed. Sure enough it had and I was soon chatting to a technician in Norway who ran me through the test process.

We established that the printer was knackered and even though out of warranty he agreed to supply a no-cost replacement. It arrived in the post (mail) three days later.

MORAL OF THE STORY IS......BUY A DYMO !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #47
dono50

Send a message via MSN to dono50

Joe's antique Auto and Joblot are the best. Have been buying from Joblot since 1973, no complaints here. Try Joe's, good quality stuff,reasonable pricing and actual shipping costs.
Did get a great buy on classic tires from Speedway last year.
dono50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:25 AM   #48
john in illinois

One vendor that is not mentioned much is Mac Vanpelt. He has good parts and prices and is 100% old Ford smart.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #49
36 ford

What say we send a message to Mac's by boycotting them and buying from other vendors?

If you feel this is right for you and agree to conduct no more business with them until changes are made sign here.

1.Phil McConnell
Chambersburg, PA
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #50
TJ

The small vendors actually care about customer service. The big guys don't care if they lose a customer or not.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #51
Mac VP

Ok....let's not get my name confused with MAC'S. We are a much smaller supplier. Just wanted folks to understand who we are.

This subject has been discussed many times on this and other forums. Trying to keep shipping costs down had always been our goal here. Occasionally a customer will ask for one of the postal flat rate cartons, and we can accommodate that for the most part. Sometimes in our judgement, it makes more sense to use UPS in a more rugged carton. It boils down to using our experience to make the call. I'm not a fan of pricing the shipping based on the order value (and we don't operate that way)....that can work both ways by the way, making that order a great value for a cheap but heavy item............. Mac VanPelt
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #52
Cecil/WV

Mac VP, you do a great job and even better with Shelly actually running the business behind the scene.LOL
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #53
Ross F-1

One reason I check with Antique Auto Parts in TX first is that they only charge actual shipping, and no funny business with oversized cartons.

I own an OT car that requires parts from specialty vendors. Right now I am in need of a plastic clip and a small metal clip, both of which would fit in a padded envelope that costs $1.50 to mail. I am so far unable to find anyone who will ship these $2 parts for less than $10. It isn't just MACs, but none of these outfits uses the %-of-cost method to calculate shipping.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #54
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Mac VP, you do a great job and even better with Shelly actually running the business behind the scene.LOL
Sure do miss Shelly.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #55
Ol' Ron

Bought 4 tires from discount tire, free shipping. Bought 100 bucks from QC Rod ends, free shipping. I'm posting this so others may take advantage of good business.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #56
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

A lot of the people at Macs are the same ones that were there before so don't be to hard on them ,I noticed in there latest catalogue a lot more on offer .With the US buying oil of shore all the freight cost have gone up due to the weak US$ against the World currency's .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 07-04-2014 at 07:20 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #57
Russ/40

Ted, our point is that when there are choices that are far less expensive, they should be used. Instead some vendors pad their profits with shipping markups, or just don't bother with better alternatives.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #58
Truckedup

I got two small orders from Mac's with no issues...Shipping was high and I live 60 miles from their store...But it was still cheaper than driving there and back.
Truckedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #59
B-O-B

I agree on the Macs' shipping. I was going to place a fairly large order for parts for my 34 & when I totaled up the price the shipping was outrageous. The more money you spent the higher the shipping cost was. I would have thought they would give you a break as other outfits do. I bought two new bumpers from Speedway & the shipping was free. I bought some parts from All Ford & asked if they would put them in a USPS box & the man on the the other end said he would be more than happy to. I also ordered some stuff from Hotrods & Customs & they only charged regular USPS price. Every once in a while Bob Drake will offer shipping deals.
I only dealt with Ecklers on vette parts once & that was enough for me.
I will shop around & wait for deals on shipping hell I'm in no hurry I got the rest of my life to wait for them to get with the program.
OH before I get of the soap box: I thought they made a profit on all the parts they sold so why have the same markup on shipping? That person gets paid no matter what & I bet it ain't a whole lot of $$ either.
Somebody mentioned that they hoped that a large corp would buy Speedway after Speedy Bill passed. I'm willing to bet if that ever happened that would be the end of Speedway . Those little bean counters need to be shipped off to the south pole. I have a better suggestion for them but it is not printable for this site.
I'm done now & will go to my room. heh heh he
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #60
Reisterstown Ray

I have purchased from Joblot and found them helpful. Their information on engine rebuild parts was informative, they know V/8 flatheads. Ray
Reisterstown Ray is offline   Reply With Quote