Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
HFD

Default 1936 Ford Pickup

Hey Guys I am new to this and just received a 1936 Ford Pickup from my grandmother who passed away. It needs a lot of work and I was wanting to make it all or most of it original as possible down to the color but I have never done a restoration on any vehicle and need some pointers. I have the original title and was wondering if there is anyway to look up the specs from the title. If you know anything about this please help me out! Thanks
HFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
flat-v8

Default Re: 1936 Ford Pickup

Hey I'm in Houston! I have the same truck and have just finished mine, you could check it out and I'll give you some pointers, post some pictures!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
1967gt

sorry to hear about your grandmother, were you going to restore it ? or sell it ?
1967gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
HFD

I am restoring it. It isn't for sale. I plan on keeping it in the family.. I will post picture! Im new to this.. How do you post a picture?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
HFD

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
VeryTangled

Hi HFD and Welcome to the Fourm! The other thing I wanna say is HOT DIGGITY! I suspect you're gonna have a lot of fun, some frustration, and something to be proud of.

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
HFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi HFD and Welcome to the Fourm! The other thing I wanna say is HOT DIGGITY! I suspect you're gonna have a lot of fun, some frustration, and something to be proud of.

-VT/JeffH

Ha Thanks! I hope More fun the frustration!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
VeryTangled

Well, you've found the right place when things get a little tense. Many, many, great minds here, waaay smarter than I am.

Looks like you're gonna need tires before any serious driving. Searching the forums (in the red bar above) is a great way to do some research before posing questions.

Also, what's up with that fender? I can't tell if it's a crack or there's a dead mouse stuck there?

-VT/JeffH
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Brendan

Dude! just clean it up and fix what needs repair this is my pickup and I drive it all the time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my 36 ford.jpg (104.3 KB, 43 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Karl Wolf

I'm with Brendan. Taking an auto apart for restoration is a ton of work... ESPECIALLY putting it back together...

If you repair things that need fixing with an eye toward restoration, you'll learn a lot. You'll drive it and have fun.

There are a lot of unfinished projects that out there that have gotten stalled cause of work and money.
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
rotorwrench

[QUOTE=HFD;707228] "I have the original title and was wondering if there is anyway to look up the specs from the title. If you know anything about this please help me out!"

There may not be much to look up. If the the truck has the original transmission, the VIN is stamped across the top of the bell housing area just above the inspection cover plate. You would have to take up the floor panel to see that. It's also stamped on the frame. The commercial or pickup models shared the same frame and running gear as the passenger cars in 1936 so most stuff interchanges. The 36 LB engines were the first to have removable insert bearings of the 21 stud V8 engines with 221 cubic inch displacement.

Many of the older vehicles have already had engine swaps and hydraulic brake conversions so don't be too surprised if it's not all original. It was used like most prewar depression vehicles were but looks to be fairly complete.

Have Fun
Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
banjoQ

I have to cast one vote for leaving it sweaty, just make it safe. I just did one of these a few months ago. There is plenty to do just to get it road worthy. Mine took a new tank and fuel lines - a rebuilt carb - new brakes and a ring and valve job. Oh and a clutch a few hundred miles later. Runs great now. Go down to you local tire store and ask if you can pick through his discard pile. With any luck you will come up with four of the same size. These will get you out of the barn. From there you can begin your journey. It took 77 yrs. to get that way, fly your colors with pride! Good luck
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
oldandtired

HFD...I would appreciate it if you could take a few more pictures and post them. If you look at the hood sides on Brendan's 36 that he has posted below his name on this thread, the 36 hood side louvers are straight across the top as they are on banjoQ's picture of his 36 directly above. The picture of your 36 shows the "dip" in the louvers typical of a 35 pickup hood.If you look at the picture posted by banjoQ, the top of the grill is pretty "deep" across the top. The picture you posted makes it difficult to see the top of the grill. The '35 grill is somewhat less deep than the 36 grill. There is nothing rare about a 36 pickup possibly having been repaired with 35 sheetmetal at some point.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
HFD

Give me a min and I will post more pictures
Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
BILL WZOREK

Boy are you lucky you have the VERY hard to find Pickup hood latch. LOL LOL
I agree with the guys get it running Do the safety things to make it road worthy.
Then as you run it if you chose pick a small part of the truck to do and do that to the best of your ability , and keep it safe and on the road.
Doing a complete rebuild is a major undertaking and " NOT " for the weak at hart
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
jwhite1149

I have a little 37 pu, love my truck.https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...1&d=1376746721
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3355.jpg (101.5 KB, 40 views)
jwhite1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
banjoQ

Oldntired raises a good point. These old trucks have been worked on by dozens of people over the years. Often times they used what they had on hand. Be prepared to do some detective work trying figure out what you are looking at. I would be surprised if you find everything as it left the factory. Trucks especially fell victim to the use what ya' got mentality. Not a bad thing at all when you think about it. Just another example of American know how. Mine started out as a 36" and morphed into a 36" with a 37" cab and a 8BA with juice brakes. When asked why a 37" cab was placed on the frame, the original owner said he thought it just "looked better" Go figure.
After looking at the photos closer I am thinking your truck might be missing the grille shell? Is that the top tank of your radiator showing? Those were pretty grilles and could have been pirated some time back. I hope not for your sake. Be sure to take a few more photos and post. Would be very interested to see more.
banjoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
HFD

I have to pick up my truck on Sept 9th and I will post a lot of pictures then. Is there any books or website I could look at about the 36 ford P/U and engine?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Brendan

some photos of my 36 pickup 21 stud motor the only thing changed is headers and the air cleaner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my flathead!.jpg (99.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg my flathead.jpg (4.1 KB, 171 views)

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #20
Mart

Looks like a nice project.

Here's what is now a very old site. It's a 35, but similar to yours.

http://www.35pickup.com/35Pickup.html

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote