Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Burgamot

Default Zenith carb float level

I have tried to stop my carb from dripping when shut off. I have gone through the card, still leaks. Today put in new valve seat from Snyder’s. I noticed it was different from what was in there and that it only came with one washer. When I put the valve in the float was only 1/2 inch above the body. I had to add a washer to get it 5/8 inch and it still leaks. My question is do I add or remove washers under the valve seat to lower the level of fuel in the bowl?
Burgamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Zenith carb float level

Add.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Your carb might drip because the float valve is leaking or because the float level is incorrect. It sounds like you are chasing those two down.

A carb can also leak (drip) because the main jets inside the venturi are not sealing properly, so the fuel leaks out and drips out the inlet of the carb. Make sure the seats are clean, the jets are snug, possible put a light coat of sealant on them.

Or the main jet has been installed with 2 little gaskets on it and in the hole. This lowers the tip of the jet and, even with the float level correct, gets the gas liquid level too far up the jet. So check where the main jet is screwed in and confirm you don't have the old remains of a gasket down in the hole.

Hope this helps you clear it up.

Is your new float valve a solid metal needle or viton tip?

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Additionally if you are certain that the above is not the issue, having the correct float height, jet height, valve not leaking , etc.

I test the float valve with the valve out of the carb using an hand vacuum pump , build up some vacuum while the ball is seated , position it in the correct orientation and see what happens overnight.

Have seen where the float valve shim washers do not seal well. try using only the red ones, the red shims are more of a fiber washer. The white and black ones can seep, are more of a smooth slippery, hard plastic. Even though not recommended by most, once had to use a very small piece of the yellow gas resistant Teflon tape to seal the threads on the float valve. Just have to be careful the tape does not shred off into the gas.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Conaway2

Also check the float to be sure it doesn’t have a hole in it that allows it to rill up with fuel and sink rather than float.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
marc silva

I had a similar situation with one of my zeniths. I ended up putting the lower half in a vice and filling the bowl with gas. Low and behold it was leaking out of the threads of the jet in the air horn.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:28 AM   #7
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgamot View Post
. My question is do I add or remove washers under the valve seat to lower the level of fuel in the bowl?
The answer is you need to ADD washers( we call them gaskets over 'ere ) to LOWER the fuel level. Also be aware that if your new float valve is like either of the two on the left in this picture you will probably need at least 2 gaskets to get the correct level.. The two "conventional" valves as shown on the right of the picture usually only need one gasket .( I also use a very light smear of gasket sealant when fitting them )
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:03 AM   #8
Patrick L.

I've read where these need to be thoroughly cleaned before installation because of fillings that can be present that can imbed themselves into the viton tip.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote