Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Michael_e

Default How many different truck doors are there???

I'm Mike and I don't post a lot mainly because i'm not real good with words, but, here goes.
Like the title says, How many different pickup/truck doors are there and what car doors might interchange?
Let me start with my situation. I was recently given a truck cab in rough shape and it did have a passenger door, but no drivers door. I found a ad for a drivers door and he was close by. We exchanged a lot of messages with a lot of measurements and it seems there are a lot of size differences. I just thought that a pickup cad and a larger truck cab were the same size. I read various posts on here and the HAMB that said that very thing. But it seems that might not be the case.

My door and the seller's door were different in height- 47" and 44". Different in window opening and different in beltline location and even in width.

So, does the larger truck have a completely larger/different door than the regular pickup?
Is there any thread with truck/pickup door measurements?
Are the door hinges different?
Are the handles/lock and window crank mechanisms different?
Are there differences in the cabs/firewall/fuel tank/sub rails?

I think I might have a cab from a large truck, not a pickup cab.
I can provide any and all measurements from the cab that I have.
Mike
Michael_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: How many different truck doors are there???

Um. CC pickup or RPU? 1928-29 or 30-31.

Generally AA trucks used the corresponding A truck doors in their model year. They should swap "envelope" to "envelope." (If they appear the same they probably are.)

One exception may be found in trucks made from Oct. 1929 through May 1930. This was the period of the upgraded AA truck (i.e. Borg-Warner 4 speed transmission and BW Rear Axle) Until Henry got the car line established in model year conformance ("The New Ford"), he "recycled" earlier 1929 truck bodies onto the new & improved Borg Warner truck components.

There was a short period of months (Oct '29 to May '30) where the small pickup line followed the car bodies (New Ford) and the AA Truck followed the square bodies of earlier production.

Or maybe this should be said the other way. He upgraded the earlier 1929 AA trucks by bringing the chassis/drivetrain forward into New Ford Truck Borg Warner configuration.

In general the earlier 1928-29 "square" cab "recycled" the doors from the 1926-27 Model T Coupe and Tudor. The doors are the same - but the hinges and the "tumble home" (nautical term implying transition curve) between the truck body and the Model T bodies are not.

You can use 1926-27 doors on the 1928-29 cab (until May 1930 AAs that is) if you can exchange the hinges to the later Model A style.

I say that. I have original 1929 hinges on my 29 CC truck. As an experiment I bought a full set of Model T hinges from one of the respondents to this board. On examination of the hinges, I find them IDENTICAL to the Model A hinges. The Model T hinges are even stamped "Stanley Works" or similar - Stanley then as now a producer of stamped hinge products and apparently a subcontractor to Ford for the Model T hinges.

So my earlier statement of "tumble home" (curve of the body, placement of the doors or possibly even placement of the hinges relative to the curve) may be the only difference.

I hope this helps. I can give you dimensions of the 1928-29 doors. 47" sounds like 28-29.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 01-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:11 AM   #3
juke joint johnny

It would be a big help if you could post some pictures of the cab and the doors you have,

Maybe the new door you have is off of a Model A car body that has been cut down into a truck cab, that often happened years ago.
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Michael_e

Thanks for your responses cause it showed me what I 'forgot' to put in the original post. The cab is a closed cab and it's the 28/29 year cab. I really don't know how to tell the difference with what little I actually have. Will try to post some pics, but my camera phone likes to keep its pictures to its self. Well, that was a bust. Don't know where they are. Will try again later.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Michael_e

I think I may have a couple of pics now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190117_094350.jpg (79.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 20190117_094409.jpg (75.4 KB, 245 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Michael_e

Well that seemed to work. Let's try for two more....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190117_094437.jpg (74.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 20190117_094452.jpg (62.5 KB, 160 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
Joe K

If the 28/29 year cab then yours is the Model T derivative doors. You can tell the doors at a glance by a look at the backside: look for the trapezoid hole and the three bolt landing spot for the window crank.

There are a whole bunch of pix of the 28-29 square cab at https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-body.1018752/

This one a nicely restored example - but IIRC, the floor goes under the seat and to the back of the cab, is riveted in place, and is placed before the seat riser. Some of the rivets go through both. I can see "dog ears" in the corners where he ripped out the floor.

Joe K
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Joe K

Yunno. I might even drive it minus one door.

The classic farm truck. Door gets damaged or dented from that dern spare tire location - just take it off and set it on the nearest stone wall (here in New England) Meanwhile work goes on - you need the truck - its your livelihood. And you drive without a door until you can swing by the junkyard to pick up another door.

This in 1936.

Maybe its just been a while since you passed by the junkyard?

Joe K
Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
Michael_e

Thanks for your pics and writeup. I'll be headed down to the shop later this afternoon. Will try for another pic of the inside of the door and will post it later. By the way, I really like your tag line. Might be awhile before I start driving it, just needs a little wiring and a rolling chassis.

Mike
Old 01-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
29closedcabguy

If I'm not mistaken the 28/29 ccpu like yours and the AA truck are the same door as a 26/27 model t coupe door. I believe I've read this more than once.
29closedcabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Michael_e

Ok, I was finally able to get a decent pic of my inside passenger door. It sure looks a lot like the inside pic of the door posted by Joe K. And I was at a inside auction yesterday and met up with an older friend and he said the early 28 cabs used the 26/27 Model T coupe, pickup and AA truck doors. So it seems like I may have narrowed down my search for what door to be looking for. Anybody out there got a Model T Coupe, Pickup, AA truck drivers door?
Won't let me attach pic. Will try again in next window
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Michael_e

Trying to attach pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190121_111144.jpg (65.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

I bought a straight one with rust in the bottom for $300.00 and was happy to find it. They are very hard to come by.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_e View Post
Ok, I was finally able to get a decent pic of my inside passenger door. It sure looks a lot like the inside pic of the door posted by Joe K. And I was at a inside auction yesterday and met up with an older friend and he said the early 28 cabs used the 26/27 Model T coupe, pickup and AA truck doors. So it seems like I may have narrowed down my search for what door to be looking for. Anybody out there got a Model T Coupe, Pickup, AA truck drivers door?
The doors have been reproduced. Howell's was mentioned recently (not flatteringly) and they were the first. See www.fordor.com

I'm looking there and not seeing the doors. They used to sell the complete body for about 5 grand.

Snyder's seems to have the door at almost $1400 per copy. Add to this the garnish moulding, interior liner, window raiser, and door latch and possibly hinges.

Makes that $150 right hand door with the rot-out in the bottom look pretty good. I can do a LOT of welding at that price. I even bought the patch panels when they were about half the price they are now.

Joe K
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
flatford39

The passenger door shown is correct for your cab. You need to find a drivers side that is a mirror image. There is no difference from AA doors and A doors. Some AA doors had an indent in the drivers side for the sidemount spare buts that the only difference unless you are dealing with a sedan delivery, hearse as those have different bead moldings but that is 30 31 only. You have a 28 29 and as others have said 26 27 Model T coupe doors are the same thing.

Try not to complicate it....believe me Henry didn't.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #16
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
Some AA doors had an indent in the drivers side for the sidemount spare
The sidemount spare was not available on the 1928- Early 1930 AA's.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
Steve in NJ

I had a 1930 AA, but it had the 28-29 CC with 30 fenders and the short dove tail running boards. I guess Henry was mixing the old with the new till he used up the CC and went to the newer rounder 30 cab. The 28-29 A pickup, and the AA used the same 26-27 T coupe or sedan doors. My 26' T coupe doors are identical to my 29 CC pickup doors. Same goofy door latch to!
Steve in NJ
Steve in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #18
rotorwrench

Ford didn't seem to worry about changing style on something utilitarian like a truck. The truck doors always looked like the tall T doors till they finally had Budd make the new cabs.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #19
katy

The bottom of the window opening with the slot for the door latch handle and the moulded in door pull are dead giveaways for that door.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 PM   #20
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA

One thing to keep in mind is the hinges on the Model T doors are different. The pin hole is larger in diameter.
Odds are you will need to replace the hinge with the Model A version.
Neil Mylar LakewoodCA is offline   Reply With Quote